This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cadetshops neede to change

i finished my cadetship meny years ago but now i look back its done in completorly the wrong wey. officors now are based on exams rathir than how well they do on the job. collage shuld not be abut exams but shuld be spent leorning drill and dissiplin and fitnes. a cadet gets a question wrong? pushups! Seys somefing bad? go far a run!

Troll Alert! Troll Alert! Troll Alert!

Well, I suppose I shouldn't feed the troll, but here goes. Do you fancy explaining a little more? Seems that your education failed to teach you English. Are you getting a little confused between merchant and military, maybe you made a mistake and forgot to join your navy?

Comment

troll? im not troll lol

Comment

I reckon the old scheme had more potential for a thrashing, but no different to any other education establishment at the period!

"A person hoping to one day become a captain, or master prior to about 1973, had five choices. To attend one of the three elite naval schools from the age of 12, the fixed-base HMS Conway and HMS Worcester or Pangbourne Nautical College, which would automatically lead to an apprenticeship as a seagoing cadet officer; apply to one of several training programmes elsewhere, or go to sea immediately by applying directly to a merchant shipping company at perhaps the age of 17 (with poor prospects of being accepted without some nautical school or other similar prior education.) Then there would be three years (with prior training or four years without) of seagoing experience aboard ship, in work-clothes and as mates with the deck crew, under the direction of the bo'sun cleaning bilges, chipping paint, polishing brass, cement washing freshwater tanks, and holystoning teak decks, and studying navigation and seamanship on the bridge in uniform, under the direction of an officer, before taking exams to become a second mate. With luck, one could become an "uncertificated" second mate in the last year."

Comment

I'll do a test, next time I get two cadets onboard a ship. One of them i'll beat and make them do press ups everyday and not do any exams, and the other i'll make study and do lots of exams. In fact why use a cadet, how about you 'cadeter', get down and give me 30 pushups.

Comment

severalsoddingcharacters....
            Attached Files
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

for gods sayk im not a troll

Comment

Well cadeter, you have started a thread in a rather antagonistic way. In most forums it's generally considered polite to introduce yourself first before throwing the cat among the pigeons!

Regarding your original post's content, perhaps you could enlighten us as you why you think that we should revert to "the good old days" of rigourous physical activity as punishment for getting something wrong? I agree that discipline is a vital ingredient in a trainee officer, and a certain level of fitness is necessary too, (but that's covered by the ENG1 really isn't it? We can't all be superman) but studying and learning the necessary skills to navigate and keep the ship safe should be more important than being able to do 50 push ups, surely?! Whether you like it or not, ISM has brought the Merchant Navy into the age of paperwork and legislation and officers and trainee officers have to be conversant with all of it, or risk losing their jobs and/or getting the ship detained.
                Last edited by Randomist; 13 November 2011, 05:33 AM. Reason: Play Nice :)

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                  Well cadeter, you have started a thread in a rather antagonistic way. In most forums it's generally considered polite to introduce yourself first before throwing the cat among the pigeons!

Regarding your original post's content, perhaps you could enlighten us as you why you think that we should revert to "the good old days" of rigourous physical activity as punishment for getting something wrong? I agree that discipline is a vital ingredient in a trainee officer, and a certain level of fitness is necessary too, (but that's covered by the ENG1 really isn't it? We can't all be superman) but studying and learning the necessary skills to navigate and keep the ship safe should be more important than being able to do 50 push ups, surely?! Whether you like it or not, ISM has brought the Merchant Navy into the age of paperwork and legislation and officers and trainee officers have to be conversant with all of it, or risk losing their jobs and/or getting the ship detained.
                  well i hav introducd myself in a differant post.

as i see it alot of cadets dont have dissiplin these days. too much drinking and smoking and silly billy behavor. i went to my collage again a few days ago and noticed alot more peopel are over weyt and some cadets even drink in the day!
                  Last edited by Randomist; 13 November 2011, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cadeter View Post
                    well i hav introducd myself in a differant post.

as i see it alot of cadets dont have dissiplin these days. too much drinking and smoking and silly billy behavor. i went to my collage again a few days ago and noticed alot more peopel are over weyt and some cadets even drink in the day!
                    Good lord no! How dare they all!

S4 has pretty much nailed it on the head. When it comes to cadet's, I'd rather have one who knew his safety procedures and how not to get himself or someone else killed than one who could do 100 push-ups. Brains over brawn please (not sure if that's the right spelling of brawn).

Also, can you please expand a bit. What do you mean by cadet's not having any discipline? What do you mean by "silly billy behaviour"? Isn't it a little bit judgemental of you to go labelling cadet's this way considering you've been out of Warsash for a number of years and are still a 3rd Mate?
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Don't forget too that a lot of those cadets are phase 1, or 3. Coming back to college this time for my last phase I notice the difference between them and my class, we were just as silly as they are, but having now gained our first 12 months sea time, we have a different attitude now, we recognise that all the stuff we've learnt is important, even when at the time we whinged about it and didn't see the point. Throughout my cadetship I have been told by the officers I've been on ship with to enjoy it, to go to the bar on a party night, get pissed, go on as many tours as possible, and generally squeeze as much fun out of it as possible, as long as I turned up for work on time and sober and did my assignments and learnt my rules, then it was fine, because once I have that ticket, there'll be no more study days, no more tours, no more days off. Your cadetship is the only chance you have to do these things and get away with it, so enjoy it!

As long as cadets (or anyone on a ship) aren't smoking weed, then I don't see a problem with smoking, it's a personal choice people make and doesn't actually indicate deliquent behaviour. I agree that getting pissed during the day at college is silly, (but I have to admit there were a couple of occassions when I've gone for a lunchtime pint...). What I currently have a slight beef with is the lack of uniform standards being enforced at college, dammit we have girls wearing skinny jeans, boys with haircuts that look like Justin B-whatshisname and I even saw someone wearing a beige jumper.... Now this is a college problem, when I started we had a brilliant guy who barked at us like we were children and a boy who had a silly haircut was sent to the barbers before he was allowed back into the classroom. The guy in charge of the new intake now seems to be far more relaxed. Too relaxed in my phase's opinion, but when these guys go to sea, if they're on a ship that wears uniform then they'll have it ingrained in them pretty sharpish, and if not, then they'll learn that no-one cares what you wear as long as you do your job right. Either way, they'll realise it's not a f*%?*?g fashion parade!
                      Last edited by size4riggerboots; 12 November 2011, 10:25 PM.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Honestly, when it comes down to the drinking, it's a lot lot lot less then it used to be. The colleges, companies and ships are a lot less tolerant of alcohol then they used to be.
                        Behaviour wise, we seem to be seeing older, more mature and well educated cadets becoming the norm compared to the average age of 17 years old only a few years ago when I was a cadet.

Not really sure where you get your ideas from.

Comment

Thread Closed

To boldly go.....
                          Forum Administrator
                          OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Working...
                          X