Distress Pyrotechnic Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distress Pyrotechnic Survey

Thanks to all who have completed the survey to date.

I have some really good responses and some interesting results!

I will post the full summary once I have 100 returns.

Please take a min to respond.

Link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...LaGc6MA#gid=0"

I'm not far off 100 now, please spare a minute to complete the survey if you have not already done so.

Comment

Are you planning to argue against the carriage of pyrotechnics? Why?

Comment

Would be great to see the results of this survey - is it possible for you to share the answers with us?
        Would be interesting to see different peoples views.
        Remember, you can be sea sick and sick of the sea. Avoid both at all costs...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Are you planning to argue against the carriage of pyrotechnics? Why?
          Why not? There is much hype at the moment concerning disposal of time expired pyrotechnics, the costs associated with such and the safety aspect involved. There have also been a numerous accidents where pyrotechnics have failed to go off correctly and severely injured those trying to use them. This coupled with the relatively low 'real distress' events logged by the Coastguard and the presence of modern electronic technologies that can cover most of the 'pros' that flares offer can spark a real debate.

I am not saying that flares are useless, just it is interesting to see the arguments for, and against their carriage. Some of the arguments at present are not backed up with evidence or data.

The aim of this level of study is not to argue for, or against a particular viewpoint. In this instance, it is to take the current view and establish common (or not so common ground) so that a conclusion can be drawn and backed up with fact. Of course, it may lean towards one side of the fence than the other.

Comment

Originally posted by welshdecky View Post
            Would be great to see the results of this survey - is it possible for you to share the answers with us?
            Would be interesting to see different peoples views.
            I will post the answers as soon as I have 100 responses. I am not far off at the moment so the more of you that can take part the better. It only takes a few minutes!

There are some pretty good results to date - many that do not back up current thinking!

Comment

Pyrotechnics and "distress alerts logged by Coastguard" are two different animals entirely. The pyrotechnics are to mark your position as the rescuers come towards you, whereas the GMDSS/EPIRB/etc are to alert others to the fact that there is a problem in the first place.

Electronic devices can fail. They require charging, they don't always like water, some can break if dropped, etc whereas Pyrotechnics are generally a little bit hardier. They can be dropped, thrown around, dipped in the water and they'll still work!
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

GuinnessMan pretty much covers it.

Originally posted by Jmz View Post
                There is much hype at the moment concerning disposal of time expired pyrotechnics,
                Nah, just keep them forever. I came across a yacht with 30 year old pyros onboard. They had some newer ones too.

There have also been a numerous accidents where pyrotechnics have failed to go off correctly and severely injured those trying to use them.
                Any handy online sources covering this? I have seen pyros fail, but not heard much about injuries.

This coupled with the relatively low 'real distress' alerts logged by the Coastguard and the presence of modern electronic technologies that can cover most of the 'pros' that flares offer can spark a real debate.
                When mentioning "Coastguard" are you considering primarily the UK coastal environment (lots of dumb yachties) or the global environment (lots of numpties that can't correctly operate GMDSS sets)?

Comment

Any handy online sources covering this? I have seen pyros fail, but not heard much about injuries.
                  I believe there was an incident at a Warsash open day a few years ago, but that's all I've heard of.
                  sigpic
                  Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

heres a fun little explaination http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119955

im sure someone can find a more detailed report
                    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Whoops!

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                        Pyrotechnics and "distress alerts logged by Coastguard" are two different animals entirely. The pyrotechnics are to mark your position as the rescuers come towards you, whereas the GMDSS/EPIRB/etc are to alert others to the fact that there is a problem in the first place.

Electronic devices can fail. They require charging, they don't always like water, some can break if dropped, etc whereas Pyrotechnics are generally a little bit hardier. They can be dropped, thrown around, dipped in the water and they'll still work!
                        I have amended my post so that the ambuguity between 'alerts' in the GMDSS (electronic) sense of things is not confused with the general alerting that may be required in a distress situation. Obvioulsy this is just a play on words, you can of course alert someone to your distress by simply raising and lowering outstretched arms to either side.

Although I am not here to make comment either way, it would be great if you could answer my survey as you feel is required. Your opinions are valued, although, many would see the parachute flare as being a long range distress alerting device.

Comment

you can of course alert someone to your distress by simply raising and lowering outstretched arms to either side.
                          I hear waving your arms, screaming and shouting works equally as well....(i'm just joking)

Comment

manyWho? would see the parachute flare as being a long range distress alerting device.

Comment

Apparently the manufactures!

http://www.painswessex.com/products/...homepage_arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X