Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRB Confusion

Hi guys,

First off, sorry for the perhaps the stupid question, but our TRB's were sort of thrust upon us with little more than "crack on" as a way of instructions. Just to clarify, do I have to produce a written report for every single action in section 4 of the book? Or am I misinterpreting what they mean by "demonstrate an ability to...."

Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome.

First of all, I'm having a bit of an amnesty on the Anonymous Forum, but for future reference any non-sensitive questions should be made in the appropriate forum while logged in. I'm moving this thread to the Current Cadets forum as this does not need to be anonymous.

Demonstrate an ability means that you have demonstrated it in practice, not on paper. Reports help to provide evidence of understanding but are not required for tasks to be signed off. Some things simply don't need a report written for them.

On the other hand, if you're not sure, write a report. Better to have too much than too little.
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you my friend (sorry for the pun!) The way I interpreted it was to produce reports about important tasks and I have been told on here that some reports can include several tasks in one report. I remember being told at the TRB meeting that is was more about quality than quantity.

Comment

Sounds like Glasgow training....

Anywho, write a report for major tasks that you do. I don't know if you're deck or engine, but for simplicity's sake I'll give an example of the Engineering one. Write reports about: -
        A) Overhauling a Purifier,
        B) Pulling a Piston,
        C) A job to be done in an enclosed space and all the precautions required,
        D) Operation of the boilers, firing one up, blowing down, etc
        E) Keep a detailed log of day to day activities (2nd Engineer will normally keep one on a computer, that will help)
        F) A diagram of how your electrical system works on ship (Not to in depth, simple line diagram will suffice. Give me a little while and I can give an example if needed)
        G) How to start up and parallel a generator with all safety checks and precautions described,
        H) A description of the Overload, overspeed and reverse current trips and what they do,
        I) What to do if say the temperature in the funnel starts to rise or the OMD alarm triggers,

Basically, have a flip through and if there are any "big" or "important" looking tasks then use that. Also, pull up your SMS and have a look at the vessel's operation manual. When it comes to report writing for both departments then this is a treasure trove as is the machinery's manual. Within these you'll find lists of critical machinery (reports about them are nice) and they should also give an idea of what needs to be done and how it should be done. Also the manuals will have the job cards to help you write the technical reports (don't just copy them, it will stand out if you do). The reports don't need to be big long books or massive chunks of prose. When I did mine I kept mine simple and used bullet points and the college accepted those. Use diagrams and pictures where necessary.
        Last edited by GuinnessMan; 31 August 2011, 06:43 PM. Reason: added a few more jobs
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Following on very much from what Guinessman said, with the addition of in the back (section 6 i think) of the TRB there are details of what is expected to be writen for the workbook and it gives basic guidance on what to include in each of the different sections ie drills ,operations

its not worth copying large chunks of manuals as all that proves is you can either use a photocopier or can copy what you see, saying that if you do pull a purifer to pieces in the manual there will be a nice exploded diagram so that, some photos, and then detail how you made the thing safe when it was stopped and the cleaning and reasembly. I wouldnt go into the details of first we undid this nut, then that one etc more we stipped it down following the manuals process BUT paid special attention to this area. what your trying to show is that you know how to do it safely and without damaging the machine, so torque settings and things show that you know what you need to look for in a manual.

some jobs will be bigger than others and will turn into much bigger reports, for engineers the 5 electrical ones could be written as one piece but similarly 5 small ones will be acceptable and may also be easier to get them signed off, for things like understanding permit to work i put a copy of the permit and just a brief explaination so that it made sense. when on the ship its probably worth talking to who ever is looking after you and see what they expect as well

You may also have some 'reports' to write for college and these are generally much longer but still based around a specific job
          you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Working...
          X