Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you become a maritime pilot in the UK?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you become a maritime pilot in the UK?!

I've tried researching it (granted my research has only reached as far as google!) but I was just wondering what qualifications you required to become a pilot in UK waters? also, after you have the right qualifications, the training you must do?

Normally you need a masters CoC to even consider it.

Comment

Some pilot jobs are advertised for those with Masters tickets or Chief Mate with considerable shiphandling experience. Realistically, a Masters ticket would be the norm, and training is provided by the employer which would typically include shiphandling with various prop/rudder/thruster configurations, using tugs, warps, anchors etc for manoeuvring, as well as local knowledge.
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Yeah as has been said you need a Masters ticket thats right for the size of the boat your going to be piloting, theres then generally a whole pile of knowledge that each port requires you to have i.e you shouldnt need a chart to be finding your way. knowledge of back eddies aand the particulars for getting you onto the berth. but the knowledge and requirements will be covered by each port. and thats the next trick you have to go through it for every port you would wish to work in, and you then have to pilot a certain number to keep the ticket. its very similar to what a master will go through for a pilots exemption however that then only requires the boat handling ability on his ship rather than a range.

how you get it you either work for a company that requires pilot exeptions, or you apply to be a pilot and they sort you out.
        you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Pilots are local for the local area, they have THE knowing of the waters they drive around in, it's thier job to get you in and out without bumping the edges of the dry stuff.

However most want you Class 1 for a start but you may not need to have sailed as a captain but have the papers for it. Then they will train you up over months and years with the local knowledge rquired.

I know that in Glasgow they have several different grades of pilot that can do different sized ships, and when the BBC Co Ltd parked some up there it took a couple of days to get them in and out as there was is) only 2 pilots certified for that size boat.

So basically get your tickets, and look for jobs in Telegraph etc, they come up regularly enough, but be warned it can be dead mens boots People move into that job to please the other half (ie not being away 6 months of the year etc) so turn over can be limited, but they come up often enough, somtimes attached to "Harbour Masters" job too (small places like Whitby and Scarbrough and the likes
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

thanks everyone! I'm a long way off getting my masters ticket.....like chiefy said, a pilot position would be perfect for when the lady starts getting fed up of not seeing my face for 6months of the year, at the moment I think shes glad to get rid of me :P

Comment

Working...
            X