X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hachi
    • June 2011

Seatime Problems

Yes yes, this was the company I'm so glad I chose. theyre keeping in good contact, theyve found me a ship fast, and ....Ok. Not sure I can even be sarcastic any more. I've been waiting ages for a ship, and I just don't know whats going on. They've got well over the time necessary to give us a measley 12 months sea exp.

Has anyone else had to wait a rediculous time frame for a ship?
    Any one end up finishing the course without enough sea time?

What did you do guys?

...I'm thinking about sorting out a bit of sea time with someone else, before it's too late

Hachi
  • ETwhat?
    • June 2011

I doesnt seem un common for people especially deck to have to wait around for 2 months, and thats not just with clyde. Ultimately you get about 18 months to do 12 months sea time in, so whilst its frustrating for you not knowing whats going on, unless you dont physically have enough time left i would just try and relax.

Any other sea time with another company is till going to need to be cleared with Clyde and your sponsor and i think it would be more of a hassle than its worth.

As an asside note its not Clyde who find you a ship its your sponsor so place the blame with the correct people.
    you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

• size4riggerboots
      • March 2010

Have you asked them this? (Without the sarcasm maybe). Companies like Clyde have a lot of cadets on their books so it's well worth keeping in regular contact to remind them of your existence. I've been told by my company that the summer is also the hardest time to get cadets onto ships as there's so many of us about. If you don't know what's going on ask them! It's highly unlikely you'd be able to sort out seatime with someone else, and it might even contravene the terms of your contract if you did.

Most of us have been in the same situation, and I have heard of people having to go for their orals later than expected because of not having enough sea time, but don't worry too much if that happens as they will still pay you until the course is completed.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

• GuinnessMan
        OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
        • April 2010

Originally posted by Hachi View Post
        Yes yes, this was the company I'm so glad I chose. theyre keeping in good contact, theyve found me a ship fast, and ....Ok. Not sure I can even be sarcastic any more. I've been waiting ages for a ship, and I just don't know whats going on. They've got well over the time necessary to give us a measley 12 months sea exp.

Has anyone else had to wait a rediculous time frame for a ship?
        Any one end up finishing the course without enough sea time?

What did you do guys?

...I'm thinking about sorting out a bit of sea time with someone else, before it's too late

Hachi
        I had to wait about four months for my berth on a ship. I didn't just call Clyde Marine, I also rang my sponsor from time to time. They were excellent, always gave me a straight answer, whereas CMT would give me some spiel about emails not being returned (it always amazed me how many emails wern't returned...).

You'll get there eventually...
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

• TheHarry
          • May 2011

Theres alot of negative opinion about Cylde and I can't comment, but I suppose it varies from cadet to cadet and maybe he is just a lucky one, who knows ? Or maybe he is an evil propaganda minister.

Comment

• ETO
            • July 2011

I trained with Clyde Marine, I had to wait 2 months for my first ship, it did get a bit frustrating waiting at home for the call to go, but that really is part of life as a seaman, its just one of the things you will have to get used to if you follow this career. I joined my second ship 2 days after college ended which was a shock, but it did mean i had 2 months holiday when i got back so its swings and roundabouts really. ETwhat is right about Clyde not finding your ship, it is down to you sponsoring company to find you a position.

Comment

• Red Fox
              • July 2010

Originally posted by ETO View Post
              ETwhat is right about Clyde not finding your ship, it is down to you sponsoring company to find you a position.
              It has been known for training companies not to pass on information about cadet availability (i.e. sea phase dates) to the sponsor company and for cadet berths to go empty as a result.

Comment

• size4riggerboots
                • March 2010

Left hand... meet right hand, please talk to each other!!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

• Dosedmonkey
                  • January 2011

Keep phoning them every week and asking them for an update, they'll soon decide putting you on a ship is less effort then explaining why they are so slow at their job. Also it doesn't hurt to put out letters or phoning other companies, to get sea time there, clyde will support you in this, it makes their job easier to some respect. When you are on vessels, try and talk to superintendants and any other shore personel who come on board, as a polite e-mail or phone call to them in a few months or a year might land you some cadet sea time or when qualified a job! There is plenty of ships with spaces for cadets and crews willing to have them, its as simple as companies having other priorities at the time, and people taking on more work then they can keep on top of, so is important to remind people of your "exsistance" as it was put, yes. Perhaps remind them of your priorities also would be a better way of wording it.

Comment

• Jonny
                    • July 2011

People having to do their orals later on isn't a new thing, my dad who has been an engineer for 30 years had to finish his sea time and put off his orals. The company he was with however started paying him the qualified wage as soon as the cadetship ended(before Orals) seeing as it was their mistake though.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you're with a company who keep on their cadets.

EDIT: But as said above, keep phoning up and seeing what the script is.

Comment

• steamer
                      • March 2010

Yeah, chill out...they're pay day doesn't come until you get your ticket! You'll get there, just chill and take it as it comes; and good luck to you!!!!

Comment

• Dosedmonkey
                        • January 2011

Yes Relax, but do keep phoning them up, a company like Clyde where they are a manning agency do get busy and won't be paying you full rate if you don't complete your oral on date. Its not the end of the world if you do your oral a little late, if you have a good reason, family crisis or medical problem for example. But it is your career, and your responsibility. And hey, surely you want to be earning a real salary as soon as possible!

Comment

• Hachi
                          • June 2011

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                          Left hand... meet right hand, please talk to each other!!
                          Thanks allot for the input from all. Of course we'll all have to wait a little for ship-date when qualified...but maybe not quite this long. I've contacted the training company, and even the shipping company just to see if they have any answers. But tbh, I'm with a fairly large shipping company, so, it shouldn't have been that difficult to get me aboard quickley.

This IS happening allot...and ok, every training company runs on a HR department of about 2-3 people to place a load of cadets. But I chased up professionally, and in the end, just got my messages ignored or replied to with..."yh, I'll send them another email"...Which, as some of you guys found, strangely wasn't replied to.

...I'm wondering if there's something bigger here. Definately not for all of us. But if a company intentionally ran just a few people over, past their orals dates, surely theyd get elongated training fees - effectively for doing nothing. You see, with clyde, cadets have always been supported past their training day.

Either way, I don't really fancy extending over if I can help it. I could (And with my efforts, probably should) be earning, and learning as a 3O as soon as Orals end.

Comment

• ETwhat?
                            • June 2011

While I would still say not to be too concerned about getting the time in, until its becoming impossible, and that even if you do need extra sea time that you will get it. I can sympathise and agree that to be spending an extra couple of months earning the clyde sea phase rate instead of being able to apply for jobs isnt hugely appealing, its different if you have a reason that prevents you (injury etc) from completing in time. But for a company to be disorganised or have too many cadets to be able to place you, whilst still getting the benifit of having the cadets is a bit crappy.
                            Its the joy of engineers, i know several who are 2/3 of the way through after the first phase and this is our short one.
                            you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

• RNR
                              • November 2010

Im with Clyde and have been waiting since the 15th of July without hearing anything, I'm giving it until Friday which is more or less a month and then I am going to start ringing/emailing them at regular intervals.

Comment

Working...
                              X