Orals Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orals Tips

The summer season is drawing near and some of us, including me, will be taking our Oral exams very soon at the MCA.
    Any tips from the already qualified?

To boldly go.....
    Forum Administrator
    OfficerCadet.com

Re: Orals Tips

Deck or Engine?
    Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Well...It depends on how you study as everyones different and how nervous you get so i'll give you what i did:-

-Study...A LOT. I took 4 weeks between end of college and my orals date.
      -Get the date you want early. This will let you have the day you want as places fill up fast and will give you the wake up call that it's getting closer.
      -DON'T rely on past questions. You could go in there the most confident person in the world after nailing the revision of these past questions. The examiner could throw a swerve ball that totally knocks you.
      -When revisions getting the better of you, take a break. If your stressed it won't go in anyway so take a break and come back to it later.

On orals day....

-You will be ****ting yourself to put it bluntly. Try not to last minute stress revise on the day. It may throw up more questions than answers and if you don't know it off by heart then you could end up saying something stupid in the oral.
      -Turn up early and DON'T take your phone. Turning up early will let you get a feel for the place and try and settle down. THeres also MAIB and MCA leaflets in the waiting area that you can brush up on latest news. Phones aren't allowed so leave it in the car.
      -Double check you've got everything. Twice.
      -If you don't know an answer. Say 'I don't know'. They don't expect you to know everything but will expect you to know where to find the answer e.g. manual, chief/captain etc.
      -Dress smartly. In a suit. No less than that will do.

Good luck with the orals and enjoy it. I kinda did. It was hard and you will be tested but just put your best effort in. There were times in mine when i thought i'd took too long to answer and failed. They will give you all the time in the world and will help you get to the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by dawg
        Deck or Engine?
        Either lol, it was an open question for a general answer

To boldly go.....
        Forum Administrator
        OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Well, I ask because if it's Deck, then that MCAOrals site has a fair bit on it. There's not a lot for Engine at the mo', but I have content for the wiki, once it's sorted out. DieselDuck.ca has some orals-related stuff on it - for Canadians, but, you know, they don't sail with their engines on sideways or anything weird, so it should translate... =P
          Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

I was looking through the MCA site a while back for guidance. MGN 69 is a good read for the conduct

To boldly go.....
            Forum Administrator
            OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Do not bull****…….you wil dig a hole you wish you never started.
              Remember your college sketches….you may be asked to draw the cooling system for a main engine, or a shaft stern tube arrangement.
              The satisfaction of passing is immense…fialure…well, you can do it again…no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Randomist View Post
                The summer season is drawing near and some of us, including me, will be taking our Oral exams very soon at the MCA.
                Any tips from the already qualified?
                Go to your college library, chances are they have "Orals Reports" from previous cadets (Warsash certainly does) and from speaking to the cadets we had onboard most other colleges also do it. For those interested mine is also on my blog, here; http://www.alistairbaillie.co.uk/blog/?m=200908

But don't try to learn the questions off by heart - have a quick read through some of the recent ones - if when reading it you feel confident you can answer the questions, you'll be a lot more relaxed - if you can't answer the questions then get studying "Seamanships Notes" (a little blue-greenish book) is good if you've messed up all your own notes.
                Last edited by alistairuk; 7 July 2011, 01:45 PM.
                ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Working...
                X