No announcement yet.

Graphic Calculators for FD ENG routes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic Calculators for FD ENG routes?

I'm looking at buying a Graphic Calculator for the start of my FD Engineering route and wondered what peoples thoughts were on Graphic Calculators?
    I've had one before a number of years ago for a surveying course and found it very useful but that one is now non operational and I'm considering investing in a new one from https://www.studentcalculators.co.uk/ .

I've spent hours looking at them and have identified the following 2 models:

1) Casio FX-CG50 - 84 GBP
    2) Texas Instruments TI-84 Plus CE-T Python - 111 GBP

Just looking to see if anyone has owned either or ideally both and would recommend one over the other as they appear to be in the same class but from reviews etc the Casio seems simpler to operate but the Texas seems more powerful in terms of Python BUT will the day to day simplicity overweigh the advantages of Python in anyones experience?

Thanks

Never heard of a graphic calculator but those prices seem way over the top for the sort of work you’ll be doing in the course. Couldn’t imagine paying that for a calculator whilst on clydes wages, the 10 pound casio one from tesco was more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh97 View Post
      Never heard of a graphic calculator but those prices seem way over the top for the sort of work you’ll be doing in the course. Couldn’t imagine paying that for a calculator whilst on clydes wages, the 10 pound casio one from tesco was more than enough.
      Definitely agree, we didn't need anything more than a basic scientific calculator. We couldn't use anything other than the basic casio scientific calculator in the invigilated exams.

Comment

Not that you’ll probably need a graphic calculator for your course, but I have an old TI-83 one from my days at university before my cadetship up on eBay if your interested;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Texas-Ins...-127635-2958-0
        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Not sure if it is different at other colleges but at South Shields graphic calculators were banned in exams for FD ETO and probably ENG too.

Comment

As said above, total total overkill. I didn't require a graphing calculator till 2nd year maths modules at University and that was only because I made a stupid module choice.

If you are already proficient in Python - I'd consider a career in software engineering rather than marine engineering! Nice comfy offices with nap pods and free food Vs steamed rice and mystery meat for months on end.

Although the MN courses are at FD level, the components that were at the higher level are project management based rather than engineering/nautical science. The most advanced mathematics you will do will be covered at HND level with no prerequisites - so relatively, not that hard.

Comment

Working...
            X