Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Student Finance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Student Finance

    Morning everyone,

    Received news late last night that my application for SF has been rejected, as the course isn't legible. I am due to start at South Shields in September.
    With a mortgage and children to support, the sponsorship allowance alone is making it almost impossible to get by. Has anybody been in a similar situation? Or have any suggestions? I know part time work is an option in the short term but I cannot maintain that during my sea phase and still have a family to provide for.
    Thanks in advance, it has come as a real kick in the guts on the eve of a new start for me.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Just Another Seafarer View Post
    Morning everyone,

    Received news late last night that my application for SF has been rejected, as the course isn't legible. I am due to start at South Shields in September.
    With a mortgage and children to support, the sponsorship allowance alone is making it almost impossible to get by. Has anybody been in a similar situation? Or have any suggestions? I know part time work is an option in the short term but I cannot maintain that during my sea phase and still have a family to provide for.
    Thanks in advance, it has come as a real kick in the guts on the eve of a new start for me.
    Have you spoken to anyone at South Shields about it? I seem to remember some of my class mates having a similar issue at WMA and the student support office was able to help.

    Comment


    • #3
      Are you doing the FD Deck Cadetship? I don't know if you guys do the short first phase like I did, but if so, I wasn't eligible for the Student Loan until third phase. They didn't class it as full time or something like that, until we came back to third phase.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you are doing the HNC route then you won't be able to get it until you start phase 3

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks for the responses. My official course title is SQA advanced certificate/diploma in Nautical Science. The name has recently changed, and with both Certificate/diploma in the title it's difficult to gauge it's equivalent in relation to the previous course title. I have contacted the college for clarification and will post their response. It does feel however, that it appears to be leaning towards a scenario in which I won't receive finance until phase 3.

          Comment


          • #6
            There may be hardship funds and grants etc available to individuals in your position, hopefully the college might be able to offer something like this when they respond to you. The slater fund sprung to mind but I've had a look and I think that is only for people doing the experienced seafarer route. Have you contacted your sponsoring company? They may have had people in this situation before and be able to offer some advice (or they may be completely useless, depends who it is I suppose).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Just Another Seafarer View Post
              Thanks for the responses. My official course title is SQA advanced certificate/diploma in Nautical Science. The name has recently changed, and with both Certificate/diploma in the title it's difficult to gauge it's equivalent in relation to the previous course title. I have contacted the college for clarification and will post their response. It does feel however, that it appears to be leaning towards a scenario in which I won't receive finance until phase 3.
              Had a wee look, seems that you are doing the HNC route with an optional 24 weeks extra at college on phase 6 to get the HND. I think they used to do this in the past but had stopped for a number of years, so interesting that they are doing it again. Though the advanced certificate bit is something I've not seen before.

              I think the reason that you are (unfortunately) not going to get a student loan for the first phase, is because phase one is a Diploma in Maritime and Shipping operations, and thus not part of the HNC, from which the student loan is only available at this level and upwards. And the HNC would officially start only on phase 3.

              It's pretty ****ty because it's fairly difficult to find out this information by yourself if you don't know where to look. And when I got onto the cadetship and asked my training officer too, they had completely false information about the FD that I've done, saying I couldn't get one when I actually was eligible. It's a bit of a mess really.

              Definitely look into what EH75 has recommended, though personally I wouldn't expect too much assistance from South Tyneside College on this, so I'd advise to look else where. Hopefully others may have some advice for you on that regard.



              And good luck, FWIW.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for all the advice. I will sum up how it played out for me, in case anybody ends up in a similar situation.

                As a few of you mentioned, I received confirmation a few days later that the course wasn't legible for SF until phase 3. A touch frustrating this wasn't mentioned by the college in March when I was chasing them to upload the new course title to the SF website but no point dwelling on it.

                I contacted my sponsor company but they recommended contacting the college regarding any grants/funds/bursaries. The college advised I wasn't able to receive any of these as I am sponsored, and that apparently rules me out of any hardship funds.

                In the end, I had to obtain a private loan from my bank in order to see us through until next September. Hardly ideal but when you want something, you have to do what is necessary to make it happen.

                Again, thanks to everybody who responded. I am looking forward to getting started in September.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Jesus it's a bit shocking that you had to get a bank loan. It probably wouldn't be as difficult to get by if the cadet allowance increased at all over ther years but has stayed fixed for well over 10 years from what I've gathered. Definitely doesn't reflect cost of living sky rocketing

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Just Another Seafarer View Post
                    Thanks for all the advice. I will sum up how it played out for me, in case anybody ends up in a similar situation.

                    As a few of you mentioned, I received confirmation a few days later that the course wasn't legible for SF until phase 3. A touch frustrating this wasn't mentioned by the college in March when I was chasing them to upload the new course title to the SF website but no point dwelling on it.

                    I contacted my sponsor company but they recommended contacting the college regarding any grants/funds/bursaries. The college advised I wasn't able to receive any of these as I am sponsored, and that apparently rules me out of any hardship funds.

                    In the end, I had to obtain a private loan from my bank in order to see us through until next September. Hardly ideal but when you want something, you have to do what is necessary to make it happen.

                    Again, thanks to everybody who responded. I am looking forward to getting started in September.
                    Yeah I’m not surprised that it took the college until now to tell you that, I’ve never met a more incompetent bunch in my life to be quite honest.

                    Sorry to hear you go through this, as I can relate to your situation from my own experience. The cadet pay is absolutely shocking in this day and age.

                    All the best for your cadetship, sounds like you’ll do just fine!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X