Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Due to go to sea in 3 days - panicking over what to take

Hi all

Sorry to create a thread if there has been a discussion on this before. I am due to start my first trip to sea in 3 days, and I?m worrying I might forget to take something.. I was wondering if there was any tips on good things to take with you & also the essential things you MUST take?

Thanks very much & again apologies if there has been a previous thread on this

https://www.officercadet.com/forum/c...the-first-time

Adapt it for the length o time you're going to be away but no matter what, you will end up taking more than you need.

Definitely keep panicking though.

Comment

The packing list on the other thread is very good.

One thing worth mentioning is that a lot of companies are denying shore leave it is worth taking enough toiletries for a couple of months longer than your trip is scheduled to be, because with everything going on in the world at the min the last thing you want is to run out of toothpaste with no access to a shop..

Comment

One thing to add - most seafarers recommend Stugereon however if it?s your first time you might want to consider taking 2 or 3 different brands - just make sure the active ingredient IS DIFFERENT as not all work for everyone and you can then work out which one works best for you.

You will eventually get sea sick at some point so worth having a selection with you.

Also as others mentioned you will end up taking too much stuff - you?ll do this every time you start with a new company over time you?ll get it down to a single suitcase and if you don?t need to cart uniform around you can even end up with just hand luggage for a 3 month trip

Good luck and enjoy!
        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

First of all, I?m sure you already know, make sure all of your documents, cash, medicines and important items are in your hand luggage. If you?re extremely unlucky your main luggage may end up delayed and for that reason pack your laptop, spare underwear and some necessities in your hand luggage too.

Whenever I go away I just think what I use in my day to day life, sit down with paper and a pen and walk yourself through your daily routine and write down every item that comes to mind. I literally start my imaginary walk at waking up: I pick up my phone after unplugging it from the charger, I walk to the bathroom and pick up my toothbrush etc etc. If you prepare like this you?ve then packed everything you need for your routine life.

Then pack for your work: you may get sweaty at work in the Far East so get some sweat bands, you may want insoles for your boots, thick socks for your boots, plenty of paracetamol incase you get headaches, rehydration sachets incase you end up with upset stomach or dehydrated, make a small medicine bag full of anything you may need from diarrhoea tablets to sudacream.

Think of entertainment, your ship may be fun and have a lively community or it may be quiet and peaceful. Try and download loads of movies, books, magazines, phone games or get a Nintendo DS or similar. Try and get some e-books relevant to your job so you can maybe learn important things or read up on stuff your mentors talk about. Some people I know took their musical instruments away, but not sure how this works.

If you want to PM me your email address I can fire you over a welcome booklet I got from my company training officer when I first went away, it?s relevant to my company (P&O Ferries) but had a lot of good information on what to expect and prioritise when you first get onboard, how to deal with home sickness and some information on etiquette onboard. If you?re an engineer I can also send you some e-books which are very good for easily explaining everything in marine engineering.

Most importantly, if you?ve got everything you need in your hand luggage... you don?t have to worry about anything else as you can probably buy it whilst you?re away. Have a great trip!

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
            Also as others mentioned you will end up taking too much stuff - you?ll do this every time you start with a new company over time you?ll get it down to a single suitcase and if you don?t need to cart uniform around you can even end up with just hand luggage for a 3 month trip
            Heh, I've been at sea for 10 years and still take away far too much every time. Mostly gym kit which I have every intention of using although I rarely seem to get round to it these days....

Comment

Once you've packed everything you need, if you have space, consider getting a couple of those hoover-bags which you can suck the air out of and pack some bedding. I've been on some ships where the bedding is absolutely fine, and some where everything looked like it'd been used for messy puppy training. It's a home comfort you won't regret if you find yourself onboard with the latter.
              27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Comment

Firs of all stop panicking.... Most Officers I know pack the day before.... It used to drive my mother absolutely insane. She would want me to pack 3 weeks before and I just did it the day before!

Next... Go and read and download the documents on the article I wrote over 8 years ago - just adapt it to your needs.

https://www.officercadet.com/article...to-take-to-sea

Have fun... Hope this helps.

Ian
                Here I sit, remembering my first trip to sea, and all the things I took that I did not need, and all the things I should have taken that nobody told me about. So my son, who is just about to start his cadetship, turns around and says ?Dad, what will I need to take away to sea?? I got to work and produced a spreadsheet. Then came the inevitable questions of ?why that?? so I started adding notes. By the end it was a work of art and I got to thinking ?How many cadets do not have the luxury of an ex seafarer to help them or an adult with too much time on their hands and a passion for doing things to the nth degree and getting things spot on?? The spreadsheet actually prints out on a single sheet and is split up into
                "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaboundBySunrise View Post
                  Once you've packed everything you need, if you have space, consider getting a couple of those hoover-bags which you can suck the air out of and pack some bedding. I've been on some ships where the bedding is absolutely fine, and some where everything looked like it'd been used for messy puppy training. It's a home comfort you won't regret if you find yourself onboard with the latter.
                  Definitely worth taking your own bedding, touch of home if nothing else. Vacuum bags a great shout too, they sell them in Wilkos if you don?t have any.

Comment

Like vacuum bags for ease of packing, but I also like having stuff loose and soft for being able to wrap and pad smashable objects too

Comment

Working...
                    X