Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Sea cadetship

Hi all,

Im currently a cadet with a company who mainly deals with support vessels in the north sea.

What are peoples thoughts on doing a cadetship in the north sea? From what i've heard my life on board could be above par compared to some deep sea companies.
    Will it be difficult to transition to other sectors when i qualify since all my experience will be on support vessels?
    Will be CoC be different to others who are on deep sea, cruise or LNG?
    Any information about life in the north sea would be appreciated.

Cheers

i spent my time as cadet onboard PSV operating in the not exactly the same type of vessel but pretty similar. My life was pretty good compared to what I heard from other deep seas. As onboard we had sky tv and free crew wifi(even if it was slow)
    Life was pretty good in the north sea, bar the weather which does live up to the reputation it is given, but saying that you do get nice days which can be flat calm.
    Your COC will be for unlimited tonnage for any area of the world, so if you can get a job you can work on any vessel, for a vessel such as chemical, oil and LNG vessel you will need DCE.

Comment

Are you with north star shipping by any chance? I will be doing my cadetship with them.

Comment

Currently on a PSV based out of Peterhead.

It’s got it’s ups and downs (that’s just the weather). The food is quality and you get decent time off onboard. I’m the only Brit onboard and sometimes it can be very isolating and it’s quite difficult to explain to the officers when I need parts of my
        TRB signing and what that means and what I’d like to be shown.

I never wanted North Sea, but it won’t be an issue to transfer to other vessel types, apart from those like LNG’s.

Comment

Originally posted by ManxMariner View Post
          Currently on a PSV based out of Peterhead.

It’s got it’s ups and downs (that’s just the weather). The food is quality and you get decent time off onboard. I’m the only Brit onboard and sometimes it can be very isolating and it’s quite difficult to explain to the officers when I need parts of my
          TRB signing and what that means and what I’d like to be shown.

I never wanted North Sea, but it won’t be an issue to transfer to other vessel types, apart from those like LNG’s.
          'Only Brit working out of Britain'... shame

Comment

Originally posted by bobofinga View Post

'Only Brit working out of Britain'... shame
            Really is. Rejoined the ship I was on during my first sea phase back in August that was entirely British officers and none of them are on there anymore bar the Masters and one C/O. Don’t carry a 3/E anymore either just a motorman.

Comment

Working...
            X