Shipboard accommodation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipboard accommodation

Just wondering what a cadets room on a ship is like how big? Is there an en suite? Etc
    I know there will be difference from ship to ship or company to company. If anyone is at Sea over the next few weeks pics would be great.
    Edit
    Ps how does it change when you climb the greasy pole? Are a master or chief engineers cabin pretty plush?

Re: Shipboard accommodation

im a deck up from the bottom under the water line bunk beds en suite air con house keeping about 9m square ex the bathroom

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

do you share? What kind of boat are you on?

Comment

it totally depends on your ship mate, and your company, i've heard Evergreen have great cabins for cadets, most aren't very big though, maybe 7mx5m or something?
        Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

Gueesed that. Thats why wanted examples of what people on here have experienced

Comment

7m x 5m???? That aint no cabin....that be a dormitory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            35m2....................I design flats twice that big that sell for ?200,000.............
            Do you mean 7 FOOT x 5 FOOT???
            C
            "Well............I'll have a go.........". Capt. S.M. Townsend 1927

Comment

with the Big Blue Canoe Co Ltd it'll depend on your boat, one class got built with "cadetery" 2 person shared space with common toilet shower but with dividing wall, and common door / lobby space.......not got them on here though, on here you get put in Crew E,F,G,H and Spare (obviously not all at once! These are normal crew cabins though on B deck where we keep the cadets / painter / fitters, misc other bodies
              Contain en suite and a view out the front of the container of you choice for the duration As for size...dunno would have to measure, but an average cat swung by its tail would NOT suffer head injuries (though i dont reccomend this method of room measurement as cats come in different sizes)

As for as you climb the greasey pole, depends from company to company, but again with BBCC as you go up the ranks you go up the accomodation block till you get to the penthouse suites for Chiefy and Old Man.....
              Nomal officer have a bed sit type space of good size, has bed (single), daybed (sofa to land lubbers BUT at right angles to you bed.......find out why and i'll be impressed) desk, wardrobe, en suite and maybe a comfy chair. Second Eng and 1st mate get a much bigger cabin, with a day room / office, leading to bedroom with double bed and ensuite.
              4 Stripes get..........EVRYTHING...well ok we dont, we have a seperate office, then a large day room and seperate bed room with bouble bed and ensuite. but you get a side wondow or 2 and front windows that arent ALWAYS covered with cargo, depends how high they stack the lego
              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
              Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
              No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

You don't make them restack it for the view chiefy? :P

Comment

why they dont put them blocking the side windows

RHIP
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Chiefy, I will have a go at answering your quiz question.

Is the day bed at right angles to your 'night' bed so depending on what the ship is doing, rolling and pitching wise, you will always be comfortable? (or do big ships not move that much).

Comment

Originally posted by carlmt
                      7m x 5m???? That aint no cabin....that be a dormitory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      35m2....................I design flats twice that big that sell for ?200,000.............
                      Do you mean 7 FOOT x 5 FOOT???
                      C
                      Yeah, feet hehe
                      Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

And the winner is jacloc everyday's a school day including saturday

I just paced out my entire living space and it's about 5mtr x 5mtr give or take a few inches But I have included my office, cos I tend to spread out a bit on board..........you know how it is once the wife isnt here to tell me off for "stuff"
                        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

im on ms rotterdam a holland america cruise ship share wth a deckie on 4~8 dont see him much

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
                          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

i'm in an AB's cabin on an LNG tanker, quite nice really, 15' x 10', ensuite, fridge, sofa, table, cupboards. The two cadet cabins are double bunkers, but there are only 2 cadets on, so both could get plenty of legroom. The plans show that chiefy gets a bath! I wonder if he gets a rubber duck to play with as well?!
                            Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

I was changing the light bulbs in the penthouse suite earlier, what a room, lots of reproduction Van Goths and about 100 bulbs and tubes of all kinds. a good 50m2

Comment

Working...
                              X