Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnival AU ships

Hi just wondering I’m a cadet for carnival UK. WILL
    I have a chance of sailing on any of their Pacific fleet of ships for example the Pacific aria as they’re listed under p&o but not on the uk website

No. Although owned by wider Carnival Corp the P&O Australia brand is now managed by Princess (I think). They used to be managed by CUK and so you could go between the P&O Australia and normal P&O and Princess as well actually but this changed several years ago.

CUK as it stands you will sail with either the normal P&O fleet or Cunard. If you are asking because you want to do some pacific island hopping or go to Australia then you can still do that you just have to get on a world cruise with one of the Cunard ships.

Having said all that in the future this could all change, things never stay the same for very long in this industry. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see movement towards people being able to work on more Carnival brands in the future. Although maybe more likely to be Europe based ones such as Costa Aida etc for logistical reasons. All speculation on my part like with absolutely nothing to back it up but it probably makes sense from a business perspective.

Comment

Answer to the question is as EH75 said, but P&O brand vessels do world cruises too. Arcadia is semi-permanently world cruising including many months in the pacific and Australia over the next few years.

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
      I wouldn't be at all surprised to see movement towards people being able to work on more Carnival brands in the future.
      The industry is moving further and further away from this for weird reasons. Generally they want crews of different nationalities on different vessels, AIDA preferring German crews and Costa Italian. In the other corporations they are doing the same, it's nigh-on impossible for a Royal Caribbean officer (generally the only brand UK officers can sail on now, unless already employed by the others) to get onto Celebrity or TUI vessels.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
        Answer to the question is as EH75 said, but P&O brand vessels do world cruises too. Arcadia is semi-permanently world cruising including many months in the pacific and Australia over the next few years.

The industry is moving further and further away from this for weird reasons. Generally they want crews of different nationalities on different vessels, AIDA preferring German crews and Costa Italian. In the other corporations they are doing the same, it's nigh-on impossible for a Royal Caribbean officer (generally the only brand UK officers can sail on now, unless already employed by the others) to get onto Celebrity or TUI vessels.
        So in the future would I be able to move to royal Caribbean is that what you’re saying

Comment

No Royal Caribbean is a separate company and not part of the Carnival Corp, it was just being used as an example to illustrate agibbs point of companies sticking officers of one nationality to one brand. Royal Caribbean own Celebrity in the same way that Carnival own P&O etc so just being used as an example I think.

Whilst I agree that at the moment most of the Brits in the Carnival Corp work for CUK and Costa for example is mostly Italians, I'm still not sure it will always be that way. All the companies in Carnival Corp go to the same training centre to do the same courses in a mixed environment, work off the same checklists and procedures and should therefore (theoretically) be all at the same standard and work the same way. I realise that in practice this is perhaps not necessarily the case and particularly the way jobs are allocated on board and contracts etc are different in regards to salary, leave ratios etc between the different brands. However if CUK were to have a shortage of 2nd officers and there were loads of extra 2nd officers in Costa or wherever then I can see where the people that make these sorts of decisions high up could see an opportunity to make things more "efficient". And we all know how much they love that sort of thing. I'm just speculating like. Who knows what will happen.

Anyway going on a bit of a tangent there. For the OP, If you are a CUK cadet for the moment you'll be P&O and Cunard and that will be it. And yeah as mentioned above Arcadia does world cruises on similar itineraries to the the Cunard ships. Aurora sometimes does some interesting ones as well like down to South America etc but not full world cruise I don't think. Most of the other P&O ships are on fairly regular itineraries. Med, NW Europe, Caribbean, Baltic, Norway, Canaries mostly

Comment

Originally posted by Jordanwhitt View Post

So in the future would I be able to move to royal Caribbean is that what you’re saying
            Totally different company. Generally RCL only like experienced officers, so when you're a few years qualified you can apply to them and see if you get an interview. They recruit worldwide, unlike CUK, so it's pot luck for deck officers. Engineers generally have better chances.

Comment

Working...
            X