Student loan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student loan

Hi hi I’m starting a HND in September, just wondering can I apply for a student loan straight away? As in now

No, you can’t.

Are you starting your cadetship in September, or are you starting phase 3 of your cadetship in September? If you’re starting your cadetship your first college course before going to sea is not an HND so you cannot apply for student loans at all, as you’re on an ineligible course which is something like NVQ L2 Shipping Operations. If you are starting your phase 3 in September then you will be commencing the HND but you need to wait until the college confirms you’re on the course and gives you some code/letter so you can process the loan application.

Comment

Sorry if I'm mistaken but I thought the company played for all your tuition fees? Why would you need a student loan?
      sorry if I'm confused but clarification would be much appreciated.

Comment

You don't "need" a student loan but some people (particularly older cadets with more financial commitments) may choose to take out a loan to help out if they have higher living costs or whatever. Or maybe they just want to get the full student experience by borrowing money to blow on booze.

Anyways yes the company will pay all your fees so any loan would be optional and for living costs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
          You don't "need" a student loan but some people (particularly older cadets with more financial commitments) may choose to take out a loan to help out if they have higher living costs or whatever. Or maybe they just want to get the full student experience by borrowing money to blow on booze.

Anyways yes the company will pay all your fees so any loan would be optional and for living costs etc.
          Thank you for confirming. Also the company do pay you to pay for your living costs don't they? or have I also got that confused?

Many Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaGolf View Post

Thank you for confirming. Also the company do pay you to pay for your living costs don't they? or have I also got that confused?

Many Thanks
            Each Company/Training agency will pay you an allowance each month. Average allowance is around £700-800 per month. RFA pay more, around £15k per year.

So as you can see it is not the best, and this is why many people take out a student loan. Along with extra beer tokens

Comment

Yeah as above you will get your allowance and then you have to use that to fund everything like food, rent, entertainment etc. Some companies will also pay your accommodation which makes things significantly easier but these are few and far between. For example when I was a cadet I was sponsored by SSTG and they paid my rent for the student accommodation, they then paid me an allowance of something like £300-£600 a month on top of that (it increased the further you progressed). HOWEVER, SSTG no longer do this, now they just give you an allowance and you pay your own rent like most of the other companies. I don't actually know if any companies still pay for the accommodation but current/more recent cadets might be able to answer that.

Comment

Thank you both for confirming that. What is the average rent per month price for warsash and Glasgow?

Comment

Can't speak for Glasgow but it really depends where you chose to rent - check the WMA website, that'll give you a breakdown on accommodation costs for their buildings (I think they're only offering David Moxon and Lucia Foster rooms now). You could always go private but that's like asking how long a piece of string is. I'd imagine the Glasgow uni/college (whatever it's classed or associated with) has a section as well.
                  27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Comment

Yeah as above you will get your allowance and then you have to use that to fund everything like food, rent, entertainment etc. Some companies will also pay your accommodation which makes things significantly easier but these are few and far between. For example when I was a cadet I was sponsored by SSTG and they paid my rent for the student accommodation, they then paid me an allowance of something like £300-£600 a month on top of that (it increased the further you progressed). HOWEVER, SSTG no longer do this, now they just give you an allowance and you pay your own rent like most of the other companies. I don't actually know if any companies still pay for the accommodation but current/more recent cadets might be able to answer that.
                    I can confirm that Anglo Eastern are paying for my accommodation (around £400) as well as a £600 allowance. I didn't realise that was uncommon. I'm glad though because I don't think I'd manage having just £100 or so a month to live off.

Comment

I did "need" my student loan, got paid £600 and month and the rent at Warsash was £500 plus a month... You show me anyone who can live off less than £100 a month in the UK?!? Would have been fine when they paid accommodation but barely any do now!
                      Get the student loan if you dont have rich parents, its no more than a Tax now, costs me £20 a week from my wage, I know I will never pay it off... but it isn't like a real loan no one will come and take your Tv or your car!

Comment

I think the other issue is that the cadet allowance doesn't seem to increase much with inflation. For example when I started my cadetship in 2010 I was given a piece of paper which outlined the various allowances I would get which was dated 2006. So at that point there had been no change in at least 4 years. I finished in 2013 - still no inflationary increase. So that's 7 years with no pay rise. Judging by what cadets have been saying they have been getting paid on here, there's not been much of an increase since I left either. Of course you can bet that the cost of the student accommodation (and everything else) has gone up. There comes a point where it becomes unsustainable to live on a cadet allowance and in some parts of the country that may have already been reached.

I could be wrong on the above but that's the impression I get.

Comment

I finished in 2015 and got £600 a month all the way through but heard SSTG increased it to £650 when we finished... So think you are absolutely correct, was also the first intake to have to pay for accommodation ourselves from 2012, just bad luck for us!!
                          I think the days of it being an easy financial ride are over and new people joining will just have to accept some burden to get qualified. Welcome to the real world kinda thing.

Comment

I think the other issue is that the cadet allowance doesn't seem to increase much with inflation. For example when I started my cadetship in 2010 I was given a piece of paper which outlined the various allowances I would get which was dated 2006. So at that point there had been no change in at least 4 years. I finished in 2013 - still no inflationary increase. So that's 7 years with no pay rise. Judging by what cadets have been saying they have been getting paid on here, there's not been much of an increase since I left either. Of course you can bet that the cost of the student accommodation (and everything else) has gone up. There comes a point where it becomes unsustainable to live on a cadet allowance and in some parts of the country that may have already been reached.

I'm getting £700 pm and £500 on seaphases. I don't think it's changed in years, but I could be wrong.

If the cost of living continues to increase, then the cadet allowance will need to increase to a more realistic level too, lest the training agencies and companies having a boatload of cadets moaning more than usual!!

But yeah. Student loan is vital for more mature students with financial commitments already or whomever needs it or wants it. It's still great that we have our cadet system in place in Britain, don't get me wrong, but I think companies will need to start looking at increasing the allowance in the not too distant future.

Comment

You're pretty much spot on. I've been quite lucky with my sponsors but some of my classmates had to use a very large chunk of what they earned during their first sea phase to just to cover accommodation for phase three, if I remember correctly. All the wage rises I've seen seem to have come at the cost at the reduction (or removal) of the accommodation assistance so it's really a false economy. I'm looking at accommodation for phase five now and I'll be very lucky (it's not looking likely at all) if I get a hundred out of my wage once housing fees are accounted for - I will be living on the accommodation allowance, pretty much. That feels like a prime example of hour wages, as a whole, need to be re-evaluated.
                              27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Comment

Working...
                              X