Student loan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student loan

Hi hi I’m starting a HND in September, just wondering can I apply for a student loan straight away? As in now

No, you can’t.

Are you starting your cadetship in September, or are you starting phase 3 of your cadetship in September? If you’re starting your cadetship your first college course before going to sea is not an HND so you cannot apply for student loans at all, as you’re on an ineligible course which is something like NVQ L2 Shipping Operations. If you are starting your phase 3 in September then you will be commencing the HND but you need to wait until the college confirms you’re on the course and gives you some code/letter so you can process the loan application.

Comment

Sorry if I'm mistaken but I thought the company played for all your tuition fees? Why would you need a student loan?
      sorry if I'm confused but clarification would be much appreciated.

Comment

You don't "need" a student loan but some people (particularly older cadets with more financial commitments) may choose to take out a loan to help out if they have higher living costs or whatever. Or maybe they just want to get the full student experience by borrowing money to blow on booze.

Anyways yes the company will pay all your fees so any loan would be optional and for living costs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by EH75 View Post
          You don't "need" a student loan but some people (particularly older cadets with more financial commitments) may choose to take out a loan to help out if they have higher living costs or whatever. Or maybe they just want to get the full student experience by borrowing money to blow on booze.

Anyways yes the company will pay all your fees so any loan would be optional and for living costs etc.
          Thank you for confirming. Also the company do pay you to pay for your living costs don't they? or have I also got that confused?

Many Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaGolf View Post

Thank you for confirming. Also the company do pay you to pay for your living costs don't they? or have I also got that confused?

Many Thanks
            Each Company/Training agency will pay you an allowance each month. Average allowance is around £700-800 per month. RFA pay more, around £15k per year.

So as you can see it is not the best, and this is why many people take out a student loan. Along with extra beer tokens

Comment

Yeah as above you will get your allowance and then you have to use that to fund everything like food, rent, entertainment etc. Some companies will also pay your accommodation which makes things significantly easier but these are few and far between. For example when I was a cadet I was sponsored by SSTG and they paid my rent for the student accommodation, they then paid me an allowance of something like £300-£600 a month on top of that (it increased the further you progressed). HOWEVER, SSTG no longer do this, now they just give you an allowance and you pay your own rent like most of the other companies. I don't actually know if any companies still pay for the accommodation but current/more recent cadets might be able to answer that.

Comment

Thank you both for confirming that. What is the average rent per month price for warsash and Glasgow?

Comment

Working...
                X