Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seatime question

Hello,

I am a Deck Cadet with Subsea7. I am due to sign off my vessel on the 20th February, which will leave me with 12 months and 3 days of seatime.

I have calculated my seatime using the Clyde Marine Seatime calculator. I am going to double-check this later tonight as I’m not sure whether to trust it or not.

The capt called me up to his office today and suggested that I stay a week longer as he thinks that only three days of leeway isn’t enough - he said that the MCA sometimes ‘take away’ days here and there for things like drydock.

I did some research and I am allowed up to two months of seagoing time to be in drydock as a trainee officer, so I’m not worried about that. Are there any other cases where they can take days from you and say they don’t count?

The thing is that I have been on ships almost back to back since February 2018. My total holiday last year was 5 weeks and total sailing time 28 weeks. For this reason I would like to take my due holiday before I go back to college in April for SQAs and orals, as I think I deserve it.

I have brought up holiday issues with them already - the MCA ‘recommends’ that I am due 7 days of holiday per 30 days of sailing. Meaning that there must be a very good reason for them to ignore my holiday requirements, which are written in my training agreement. They have never discussed it further with me.

So I think I would be justified in asking for leave. What I’m also worried about is them seeing that I am free for 8 weeks and asking me to join another vessel - it’s not written anywhere whether or not I can refuse to join a vessel (since I have my seatime in). Can I say no, based on the holiday issue I just described + the fact that I have sufficient seatime for my NoE?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Teeb

First of all, explain the above to your training officer, as I think they’d be on your side and will have overriding authority over your captain/company.

I haven’t heard of days being deducted in reality, everyone worries about it as it seems to be a strong myth. I had around 5 months 3 weeks Sea time (engineers requires 6 at the time) and the MCA allowed me to sit my orals anyway... so they don’t appear that strict, especially as you believe you’re over 12 months.

Clyde marine were happy when most of their cadets got the 6 months on the dot, we had guys on “holiday” during their sea phase for quite a few weeks or months if they bagged their time quickly.

If you’re happy you understand everything at sea so far, if you’re happy you have completed your TRB and written enough reports/got your officers to sign them and you’re happy you have the minimum sea time of 12 months... you should be free to leave. Check out MGN69 for advice on what you’re expected to know for your orals, as that’ll give you a good idea whether or not you’re ready to complete your sea phase.

Comment

I got 12 months and 2 days sea time when I was a cadet (I calculated this manually several times myself and verified it with the Clyde Marine Seatime Calculator). My company couldn't wait to get me off the ship (tonnage tax company) and I'm sure would've got me off at 12 days on the dot if they could've done (we were at sea on that day).

None of the above was a problem for the MCA and I have never heard of them "taking days away". That probably refers more to people not knowing how to calculate their seatime and ending up having less days than they thought. But if your company are happy you have the days, you are happy you have the days and the seatime calculator says you have the days then.... you probably have the days.

I know how you feel as I did an 8 month trip when I was a cadet so I couldn't wait to get home and got off as soon as I can. So I would say as long as you are happy with the workings of everything and confident you have learned everything you need, then get yourself home.

I doubt they would try and make you join another ship, and if they do then you already have the sea time so you don't need to go for seatime purposes. The only issue you might have is if you are expecting a job with them afterwards, refusing to join might not look the greatest from that respect. But I'd be surprised if they tried to get you on another ship.

Comment

As one month of sea time is considered to be 30 days, does the requirement for 12 months sea time mean 12 lots of 30 (ie 360 days), or a full 365.25 days?

Comment

It used to be full months are months, days over are added up and divided by 30.
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy View Post
            It used to be full months are months, days over are added up and divided by 30.
            This is correct.

You can find further explanation in the TRB and online. I think Clyde Marine Training have a 'seatime calculator' on their website too.

For example, if you were at sea from February 5th to March 4th, it would count as one whole month despite February being shorter than 30 days. Obviously this balances out with months that are 31 days...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

I know a lad who lost 7 months of his seatime, he submitted seatime for a management ticket, they looked back at his prior submission when he applied for operational cert, concluded that as the company and the vessel he was working on had not changed, then neither did his holidays.
              His mistake was, he had heaps and heaps of seatime for the 1st ticket, so was rather liberal and lazy with the seatime calculations, it bit him hard in the ass later when he needed days to count.

Comment

Working...
              X