Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnival Uk sea phase questions

Hi all and Happy 2019,

I have a few questions regarding sea phases with carnival UK as a deck cadet.

Phase 2

1. What do you do during this phase?
    2. How long do you go for and wgewdo you tend to go?
    3. How many ships do you do in this phase?

Phase 4

4. Is your formal night uniform provided

General
    1. Can you family join you at times of special events eg Christmas/ birthday s( paying full cruise fare of course)?
    2. When not doing a watch can you go ashore?
    3. If friends or family members are aboard are you able to have a meal with them during the voyage?
    4.as a cadet where does you cabin tend to be?
    5. Can you request specific shops to do your cadet ship on?

Sorry for the amount of questions I know they are minor details but I just want some more information on life at sea with CUK

Many thanks

DeltaG

This isn’t first hand experience, just what old carnival friends did and what I saw our Royal Caribbean UK cadets doing, so some could be different:

1) spending a lot of time with the bosun and deck crew, focusing more on the hands on side rather than bridge side
    2) 3-4 months and assuming you’re saying “where do you go” that could be anywhere. If your phase 2 is in the summer then it’s likely you’ll be in the Mediterranean and/or Fjords, if it’s in the winter it’s likely to be the canaries or Caribbean, if you’re onboard in October or March you’ll likely do transatlantic repositioning, you could even join a world cruise which usually commence early January and finish in March
    3) you’ll do 3-4 months on and 1 month off, so if that means you can fit two sea trips in there is probably an equal chance of getting the same ship twice as there is getting two different ships.

1) phase 4 seemed to be much more bridge work for the cadets I knew, shadowing the third and second officers
    2) same as the previous second answer
    3) same as before
    4) yes, you’ll have an onboard tailor to help fit it properly. You’ll leave the uniform onboard when you leave.

1) yes. They may not have to pay the full fare, especially if it’s your fourth phase and/or 3rd trip. I believe, if the same as Royal Caribbean, your perks for family get higher the more trips you do. When on a P&O cruise I saw an engine cadet with his parents eating in a restaurant.
    2) yes, unless it’s the USA. You can get off whenever you’re not on watch, you can probably join shore excursions free of charge/cheap as well. In the USA they’re currently a bit funny letting people ashore if they’re new to the company
    3) yes, so long as you have your uniform as normally after 1800 officers must wear their evening uniform in public areas. Before 1800 I guess you can wear a shirt and tie with epaulettes to public lunches with friends and family. Some restaurants might charge you as a crew member, but it’s minimal if so.
    4) really depends. I was on the world’s largest cruise ship and the cadet cabins were as far apart as deck 3 and deck 12. Your cabin could be shared, as in two beds with a privacy curtain, with another same gender cadet. As you’re on watch it’s unlikely you’ll be in the cabin the same time. You’ll share an en-suite with a lock of course. Some do get solo cabins, or a double cabin without another person inside.
    5) maybe. This one’s for your training officers. It’s highly likely not every ship in the fleet takes UK cadets so there will be a fairly small list of ships you can go on. There may also be a requirement for you to do different kinds of ship, but not sure how that works with deck. Royal Caribbean tried to get engine cadets onto both their diesel electric ships and gas turbine ships.

Good luck, feel free to message me or post any other questions. I’m sure there will be a carnival cadet/crew member here that can correct me on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
      This isn’t first hand experience, just what old carnival friends did and what I saw our Royal Caribbean UK cadets doing, so some could be different:

1) spending a lot of time with the bosun and deck crew, focusing more on the hands on side rather than bridge side
      2) 3-4 months and assuming you’re saying “where do you go” that could be anywhere. If your phase 2 is in the summer then it’s likely you’ll be in the Mediterranean and/or Fjords, if it’s in the winter it’s likely to be the canaries or Caribbean, if you’re onboard in October or March you’ll likely do transatlantic repositioning, you could even join a world cruise which usually commence early January and finish in March
      3) you’ll do 3-4 months on and 1 month off, so if that means you can fit two sea trips in there is probably an equal chance of getting the same ship twice as there is getting two different ships.

1) phase 4 seemed to be much more bridge work for the cadets I knew, shadowing the third and second officers
      2) same as the previous second answer
      3) same as before
      4) yes, you’ll have an onboard tailor to help fit it properly. You’ll leave the uniform onboard when you leave.

1) yes. They may not have to pay the full fare, especially if it’s your fourth phase and/or 3rd trip. I believe, if the same as Royal Caribbean, your perks for family get higher the more trips you do. When on a P&O cruise I saw an engine cadet with his parents eating in a restaurant.
      2) yes, unless it’s the USA. You can get off whenever you’re not on watch, you can probably join shore excursions free of charge/cheap as well. In the USA they’re currently a bit funny letting people ashore if they’re new to the company
      3) yes, so long as you have your uniform as normally after 1800 officers must wear their evening uniform in public areas. Before 1800 I guess you can wear a shirt and tie with epaulettes to public lunches with friends and family. Some restaurants might charge you as a crew member, but it’s minimal if so.
      4) really depends. I was on the world’s largest cruise ship and the cadet cabins were as far apart as deck 3 and deck 12. Your cabin could be shared, as in two beds with a privacy curtain, with another same gender cadet. As you’re on watch it’s unlikely you’ll be in the cabin the same time. You’ll share an en-suite with a lock of course. Some do get solo cabins, or a double cabin without another person inside.
      5) maybe. This one’s for your training officers. It’s highly likely not every ship in the fleet takes UK cadets so there will be a fairly small list of ships you can go on. There may also be a requirement for you to do different kinds of ship, but not sure how that works with deck. Royal Caribbean tried to get engine cadets onto both their diesel electric ships and gas turbine ships.

Good luck, feel free to message me or post any other questions. I’m sure there will be a carnival cadet/crew member here that can correct me on anything.
      Thank you very much. That has answered my questions. I'm sure the cruise companys tend to operate there cadetshios in the same way. Any other information regarding cadet sea pahses is greatly appreciated.

DG

Comment

What agibbs98 said is about right, but there a few things that are different from how Royal Caribbean seem to do things so I will just run though how things will work from what I've seen. I was not a CUK cadet but am currently 2/O with the company.

Phase 2

Mostly working with the deck lads. Chipping painting etc. Once you've done enough of that you'll move onto working with the Deck POs/Coxwains doing LSA & FFA maintenance, gangways, pilot ladders, boats etc. Still seamanship and deck work but a bit more interesting than painting. Once you've completed all of your deck work tasks in your TRB (or most of them) you might get on the bridge for your last month or couple of weeks. Depends on how you are doing and what the safety officer's thoughts are as they will be in charge of you initially (once you go on the bridge the 1/O looks after you). My opinion all the 1st phase cadets should get at least a couple of weeks on watch so they can familiarise with the basics. Bit embarrassing gong back to college without knowing how to work a radar for example.

4 to 5 months is typical. Itinerary depends entirely on the ship and you could be placed on any one of the P&O or Cunard ships. Unlike Royal Caribbean as mentioned above, I'm pretty sure all the CUK ships take UK cadets. We really only have cadets from the UK and Ireland and we have so many that we have to fill the ships with them. Have a look on the P&O cruises / Cunard websites for details of itineraries. Typical areas are Med/Canaries/Northern Europe in summer, Caribbean in winter with all of the Cunard ships and a couple of the P&O ones also doing world cruises from Jan-May.

Usually just the 1.

Phase 4

Firstly finish off any deck work tasks left over from previous phase then after that the rest of the time will be spent on the bridge completing all the bridge tasks in your TRB. You will also be expected to get involved in passenger functions including cocktail parties, hosting tables at lunches etc (although you will also do this in the previous phase). You will probably start off on the 8 to 12 watch to familiarise then end up on the 4 to 8 for quite a while as this is where most of the action is. Depends on various factors though such as your experience and competence, how many cadets there are, what the 1/O wants etc. The more experience you get the more you will get to do stuff such as taking charge of mooring, taking the conn etc (all under supervision, obviously)

Same as previous phase although this time it will be two trips of 4-5 months instead of just the one.

Probably 2. It is unlikely you will go on the same ship twice so you can expect to be on a minimum of 3 different ships during your cadetship.

4. Is your formal night uniform provided

All uniform including formal wear is provided prior to joining I believe and you have to take it with you and then bring it home again (unlike Royal Caribbean who leave it on board as mentioned above). They don't have much uniform stored on board P&O ships so if you need a new shirt for example you are out of luck as they have to order them from ashore. Cunard have a uniform store on board so things are easier over there from that respect.

General
        1. Can you family join you at times of special events eg Christmas/ birthday s( paying full cruise fare of course)?

If they are coming on as fare paying passengers then yes of course. Once you are qualified you can get them on for free (if they stay in your cabin) or there are various other concessionary rates available. Not sure if this is available for cadets I have heard conflicting stories.

2. When not doing a watch can you go ashore?

Of course, although sometimes you will have to do stuff outside watch so obviously won't be able to if you are busy doing something else, but if there is something in particular you want to see just mention it and it should be fine (depends if the person in charge of you is a nice guy or not). As cadets you will usually get the chance to go on passenger tours to cool places as well which is something to take advantage of as there is not so much opportunity for that once you are qualified.

3. If friends or family members are aboard are you able to have a meal with them during the voyage?

Absolutely. Buffet is free or there are restaurants where you can pay a small charge for fancier food (you get a discount though). You can also arrange to sit with them at their table in the main dining room if you speak to the relevant people in the food and beverage department.

4.as a cadet where does you cabin tend to be?

Depends on the ship. My last ship it was a couple of decks below the bridge but really no way to tell until you know what ship you will be on. You will be sharing unless you are lucky enough to be the only cadet on board (does sometimes happen, more often if you are female).

5. Can you request specific shops to do your cadet ship on?

You can ask, it doesn't do any harm but obviously there are no guarantees.

Any other questions then fire away. Feel free to send a PM also if you have any questions you'd rather not ask in a open forum. Its a good place to do a cadetship, you'll get some of the best training in the industry and pretty much guaranteed a job at the end unless you are completely useless!

Comment

Working...
        X