Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gangway watch ?

Hi Everyone,

Pretty sure this only applies to smaller vessels ie OSV , Research, Survey etc... I am a 2nd sea phase cadet on a vessel of one of the above and the vessel is alongside at the moment. The chief officer currently has me and one other cadet doing gangway watch shifts 4 hours on 8 hours off per day and nothing else. Although i am using this time to study quite intesively it feels like i am wasting my time. Has anyone any guidance on what to do here? Or has anyone had any similar experience ? I actually see nothing in the TRB about gangway watch and i can tell you ive done more gangway watch than anything else on this trip.

Regards.

The difficulty with OSV port calls is there's bugger all to do most of the time, particularly now that winter is on the way and it's basically rain 24/7.

Do you get relieved when there's cargo loading/discharge? Moreover, have you asked the Chief if he can arrange for an A/b to relieve you, so you can "help" the OOW monitor the cargo load/discharge?
    Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Well yes, there is bugger all to do but at least i could be shadowing the 2nd officer while he does his PM jobs etc...The vessel also only has 2 AB's meaning that I am filling in for one of the missing ABs gangway watch shift. Surely the vessel should be able to be run without the assistance of a cadets ? If I was not here what would the vessel do for gangway watch ?

Comment

Just ask the chief mate if he can assign you some jobs from the PMS. But yes all cadets have done gangway duty at some point.

Comment

I remain convinced that the meaning of life, the universe and everything will be discovered by a cadet on gangway watch. IT's all part of the fun of being a cadet, and it sounds like you're being very proactive in using it to study.

Comment

Working...
          X