Sunglasses and gadgets.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunglasses and gadgets.....

I'm off to sea soon so I'm in the middle of buying things to take. I'm looking at sunglasses (Oakleys).....I was wondering how highly people would recommend polarised glasses as opposed to normal lenses?

Also, completely differently, does anyone have a Kindle? If so, is it worth getting the 3G version? I've seen on amazon that coverage is almost worldwide (obviously only within range).....or if the 3g isn't worth the extra money when using it at sea?

Re: Sunglasses and gadgets.....

if your deep-sea you wont get any coverage most of the time, unless you can get into your ships network (unlikely). if your coastal it might be a better option, as for sun-glasses, as an engineer i can't comment
    Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

I've got the 3G one, obviously won't work at sea but has an internet browser etc which hopefully will work in port. For the sake of an extra ?40 or whatever it was I thought I might aswell. Haven't taken it away to sea yet though so can't comment on how good the coverage is.

Comment

Oakley Sunnies are the bees knees
        e-book no opinion though remember 3g costs ????? when roaming abroad
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Your kindly can hold around 10,000 books on it (or something daft like that). Fill her up before you go and you won't need to add more on whilst you're away.
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I have the 3G one and was recently on a North African and Canaries cruise.

I got connection in every port and in some points when we were running along the coast.

Remember the 3G is free, so all you will only need to pay for the eBook price. However, remember you can put documents on the Kindle, such as eBooks via USB.

I would recommend playing with one before buying it though, I know a lot of people that like their good ol' fashion paper books; John Lewis have them on display.

Comment

I'm thinking that I might splash that little bit extra for one of the android tablets. I use android on the mobile so I would rather buy the android tablet rather than an Ipad. These things have book readers/pdf viewers like the kindle but also offer a whole lot more in one package such as the ability to watch a movie here or there, store and play music and photos, play the odd game plus you can load it with android apps which are sometimes handy...like the electronic/ electrical calculators and the reference apps.

The way I see it, I could load my suitcase with a kindle, an mp3 player, a digital camera and a portable dvd player along with the abundance of cables required to run them all...or I could save a lot of space and hassle and take one single android pad that does it all.
              "I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way". --- Captain John Paul Jones, 1778.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, muchly helpful......anyone got any thoughts about oakley polarised vs oakley normal lenses?!

Comment

didnt know they did different lenses, always get "the nice ones"
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

I have a pair of Oakley polarised but like Chiefy just bought the nice looking ones.

This link following should give you a good idea of exactly what they are; or more importantly why they are better.

http://www.spectacleworld.co.za/products05.htm

Comment

Originally posted by eddiegrice
                      or I could save a lot of space and hassle and take one single android pad that does it all.
                      Such devices tend to have glossy displays, reading in the sun is a nightmare as it causes a glare. People end up straining their eyes or holding the device in a really awkward position so they can read the text.

Comment

Ye im looking into the oakleys aswell.. Prob gonna get polarised ones id say.

Does anybody no anything about travel adaptors or do we need dem

Comment

Dn't ask me why it is, but the fact is, polaroids greatly enhance your ability to pick out submerged reefs.
                          Exceptionally handy - sometimes.

Edit to post:-
                          Please add the following:- "Particularly when the sun is not shining in the daytime"
                          To you from failing hands we throw - The Torch;
                          Be yours to hold it high.
                          If ye break faith with us of old,
                          We shall not sleep,
                          nor shall you either !!!

Comment

always pack a couple of travel adapters OR (if you buy shiney new electronics) keep the european power chord that comes with it (rahter than bin it like what you do now!)

Most ships will be round pin (if built in Far East / EU) cruise ships can be anything but either US "blade style or round pin will be fav, I've yet to go on a ship with UK style plugs (no doubt that strange bunch in the RFA will say they have them--but they ARE odd

In an emergency the bathroom light (or bathroom) will have a shaver socket in it which even in the US is round pin, not ideal but you will at least be able to charge your "shiny thing with buttons" just not while showering or shaving eh?
                            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

If you get polarized lenses just remember that if your bridge windows are also polarized, you won't be able to see a thing through them!

Comment

Working...
                              X