Sea Baggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Baggage

How many bags are normal to take on a 4 month trip?

I haven't started packing yet but I doubt a 100l cargo bag and a hand luggage will do.
    Forum Admin

Re: Sea Baggage

You aren't planning on using the easy to spot ones they issue at Dartmouth are you? They are a security risk. A bit like carrying your respirator haversack as hand luggage. I did that once or twice, in the days before the silly one bag limits, partly for giggles, but never got asked about it. I had the old green S6(?) haversack so it wasn't as obvious as the DPM S10 type. That goes at the bottom of one of my checked-in bags now.

Two large-ish rolling cases, I use ones that are vaguely like duffle bags, just under 20kg laden each, and a maximum hand luggage size rucksack containing laptop and other valuables. Might as well make best use of baggage allowances whilst still being able to hand-haul everything if necessary.

Comment

I think maximum size hand luggage is 19" for long-haul flights (ones with wheels and rucksack attachments and an additional zip-on rucksack for your immediate stuff), and the maximum weight for a single item of hold luggage is 32kg, and the total limit is 40kg. My info says that if your bags are more than 40kg, then it's too much for your voyage anyway; and that we should take a normal sized suitcase and small holdall, and to try and keep it as light as possible. The most I could physically carry myself was my wheely-case with zip-on rucksack, a large rucksack, and a large adjustable hold-all... works for me for different categories of stuff
      Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Ermmm I'd check that limit, KLM eun a 40 kg limit BUT a 23kg PER BAG limit

Though even when a 4th (not leaving gear on ship) I only ever took I large samsonite roll on suit case, still use it in fact, never ever hadmore than 30kg all-in, that included uniform, boiler suits, boots and "stuff" that and a small over the shoulder carry on, which morphed over the years into a briefcase, then a bag and now back to small ruck sack

Even leaving gear behind case is normally 20kg, but that inc 1kg tetley tea bags
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Using BA standard class as a reference point:
          http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba ... blic/en_gb
          http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ba ... blic/en_gb

23kg per bag, 32kg per bag if you pay ?40 surcharge. I think it used to be 32kg per bag in the old days.
          Hand luggage up to 22"x18"x10" and you can take a laptop bag in addition, if you can find a way to carry it. Trolleys are fine at the airport but I've joined in quite a few places where there was a walk to the berth.

Comment

I spoke to my training manager and he confirmed that the military grade kit bag is fine to use. I might try and squeeze everything into it rather than have to take a separate bag, but we will see regarding weight etc.

I wonder why he says it is fine to use, yet you do not recommend it Steve?
            Forum Admin

Comment

Of course they aren't officially a security risk or they couldn't be issued/used, but if I was a ne'er- do-well intent on targeting Forces personnel I'd hang around Pompey station looking for people toting those bags. Or the same at say Dubai airport. They mark you out as "Forces" as much as travelling in uniform would. That used to be discouraged because of the threat from Irish terrorism, but times have changed. Haven't they?

There's still no way I'd use those issue bags. What you do and how you feel about your personal security is up to you. I take measures to NOT be identified as "UK Forces" as much as possible, especially when travelling overseas.

Comment

Steve, I know we disagree on the kit bag front, however, as I have been given them I intend to use them rather than forking out for new cases.

I do have a question though, do you think I will fit all of my stuff into 1? Or do I need a second bag? How large are each of the cases you use?

Cheers
                Forum Admin

Comment

I have no idea how big the issue bags are, or how much stuff you intend to take! I think we discussed some of that issue by PM. IIRC my cases are about 80 litres each.

And it depends on where you are joining and where your ship is going. You can probably fit the essentials in the one bag, but that doesn't allow for comfort extras or acquisitions while you are away (though you can post those home if necessary).

Comment

When I was deep sea I used to take two smaller bags with me instead of one large one. I split everything amongst them equally though so that if one went missing, I wouldn't be stuck with loads of t-shirts but no underwear or shampoo or anything! It also gave me a bit of extra space in case I bought anything when I was away.

I also used to carry an extra pair of socks, pants and a clean t-shirt in my hand luggage in case both of my suitcases went missing but also because sometimes when you have been travelling for days and are stuck somewhere for hours, there is almost nothing as great as a clean pair of socks!

Comment

Originally posted by minchmermaid
                      there is almost nothing as great as a clean pair of socks!
                      Are you sure you wont reconsider?
                      I can think of LOTS of things better than clean sock (clean undies for a start)..............
                      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Working...
                      X