Is there are truth in this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there are truth in this?

This link was posted in the 'Industry & Recruitment News' forum by Malim Sahib:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ailor.html

However, I found it to be that shocking and such a grim read I thought I would post it here to get your opinions.
    Is there actually any truth in this article about real life on a boat? Or is it simply scaremongering by using extremes?

Re: Is there are truth in this?

RNR,
    It can truly be that grim, however (Western) Europeans generally tend to be treated decently, basically they tend to be a lot more vocal/proactive when employers attempt to take the proverbial. As a Brit you're very unlikely to sail on such ships/with such employers.
    However the comments about being a prisoner with a salary are pretty near to the mark for many ships these days alas.

Comment

yeah if you cut out some of the worse exxesses about Flag States who are really really shadey and operators who are likewise it isnt actually to far off.

Lots of ports are no where near anywhere making trips a shore a major work up, some countries treat ALL seafarers as criminals and terrorists regardles of nationality etc.

A prisoner on salary might be a bit strong a phrase, BUT for some seafarers it is the case, read the Union web site, read the Mission to Seamens website they do sooo much work for "us"
      Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
      Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
      No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

It happens fairly frequently but you are not likely to be exposed to it - in those extremes, if you stick with reputable companies (also, the types of company this happens with are not likely to employ you because you wouldn't work for the amount they are willing to pay you).

Also if I ever went on a ship and found my cabin infested with insects, mould or damp I would be walking straight back off - something I am sure pretty much every European would do - but alas some nationalities will put up with it!

However, just in case, remember that they can not keep you onboard a ship - if it's that bad leave, worst case it costs you a flight home. (The article is correct though in stating that certain nationalities will put up with it - while others most certainly will not). In the unlikely event (I say unlikely because your an EU passport holder) you encounter immigration issues trying to leave, a quick call to the British Embassy will normally suffice.

While in Venice in October we berthed next to a fairly large cruise ship where the company had gone bankrupt and the ship had been detained by the Italians for non payment of fees... leaving the officers, crew and concessionaires abandoned in Venice without pay and at the time we arrived they only had enough fuel to run the generators for another 2 days. For the concessionaires it wasn't that big a problem (there company was still paying them and after all there stock was transferred to us they were all flying home) the crew however was a different matter and had taken to selling bits of the ship - I only know about it because the same company that runs there shops, also ran the shops on my ship and they were transferring the stock to us.
        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

My last ship was infested with bed bugs, luckily by the time I joined they were restricted to the 3/e's cabin, but the cockroaches were everywhere and some of them were big enough to sign on.

Comment

Cockroaches are endemic, and if you take stores and go to foreign climbs then you will get them, the trick is control and containment.

Though they areny nice to see
            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
            Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
            No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Cockroaches, Weevils and Copra Bugs - all part of life at sea!
              (not so much these days though)

Comment

Originally posted by Malim Sahib
                Cockroaches, Weevils and Copra Bugs - all part of life at sea!
                (not so much these days though)
                Ficam-W and Ficam-D for the win :-) don't you love chemical warfare :-)
                ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

If you go on an old ship and think there's no cockies then you're just not looking hard enough!
                  The only way you know you know you have a serious problem is if you can see the damn things.
                  Copra Bugs were awful, but completely unavoidable (they come in copra cargo) - used to infest cabins/bunks/bulkheads etc. Cockies were the same, felt a couple of them run across the top of me whilst (half) asleep at night, not nice!

Comment

I don't think the 'prisoners on a salary' statement is very fair - read any newspaper nowadays and it will show you that even prisoners get greater luxuries. Satalite tv, internet, mail ordering of products, decent gyms........

Comment

Jmz,
                      Too true, plus they get time off for good behaviour - if we're any good we get kept on LONGER!

Comment

I was speaking with a family friend recently who is Managing director for a large shipping company and he was mentioning the fact that there were fewer jobs for western europeans due to shipping companies not wanting to pay the wages we expect. The things I read in this article however seem nigh on incredible due to the extremity of the situations being described.

I think it calls for raised public awareness and a global set of laws governing vessels that operate in international waters. Is there no such authority out there? An organization that governs the rights of crews on a global basis, without being impeded by individual national laws? If I ever end up in a situation like this you can be sure that I will be gathering evidence against the offending company.

According to my friend though, the cruise ship, offshore and private/charter yachting industries are not as affected by this problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X