This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drugs and Alcohol!

When I were a cadet, Clyde Marine conducted a drugs test on ALL Phase 1 cadets, in addition to whatever other random or directed testing they carried out later or in addition. RFA cadets were not routinely tested but were subject to random tests as is the rest of the RFA. I know of at least one cadet who was sacked by his sponsoring company for failing a drugs test later in his cadet career (Phase 3 or 5).

Anyone know whether routine tests on cadets are still the norm?

Re: Drugs!

Oh yes! Some companies run more tests than others, Clyde seems to be to most regular. So far, I've not been tested at all but I wouldn't risk it for a biscuit.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Well, personally, I and I say I 'ope I end up workin' on a reefer. (bu-bum tish!) bscene-smokingweed: bscene-smokingjoint:
      Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Originally posted by Tron
        Well, personally, I and I say I 'ope I end up workin' on a reefer. (bu-bum tish!) bscene-smokingweed: bscene-smokingjoint:
        :laughing-rollingred:

Never done anything other than alcohol so I'll be alright. 8)

Comment

Clyde said in my letter:

'Events within the Shipping Industry, have led, to many Shipowners and Managers introducing a Drug and Alcohol Policy to which their personnel are required to adhere. With the agreement of our client Shipowners, we now have to advise you, as a potential new Trainee, that we have such a policy, and that this may involve you undergoing test(s) during the training period. '

Blah blah blah..forget the rest of this paragraph..

'You should however be aware that a positive Drugs Test will result in instant dismissal.'
          "Did I tell you about my theory about sailors? Sailors are the finest people in the world."

Comment

Originally posted by effiestephy

'You should however be aware that a positive Drugs Test will result in instant dismissal.'
            Seen it happen, more than once.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

What's the general policy on alcohol whilst away? I assue most ships are booze free but what about time off in port?

Comment

I believe the policy goes something like this:

What shall we do with a drunken sailor?
                |: What shall we do with a drunken sailor?
                Early in the morning.
                Chorus:
                Way-hay, up she rises,
                Way-hay, up she rises,
                Way-hay, up she rises,
                Early in the morning.
                2. Put him in the long boat 'til he's sober
                |: Put him in the long boat 'til he's sober
                Early in the morning.
                Chorus:

3. Pull out the bung and wet him all over
                |: Pull out the bung and wet him all over
                Early in the morning.
                Chorus:

4. Put him in the scuppers with the deck pump on him
                |: Put him in the scuppers with the deck pump on him
                Early in the morning.
                Chorus:

5. Heave him by the leg in a runnin' bowlin'
                |: Heave him by the leg in a runnin' bowlin'
                Early in the morning.
                Chorus:

6. Tie him to the taffrail when she's yard-arm under
                |: Tie him to the taffrail when she's yard-arm under
                Early in the morning.
                Chorus:
                7. Put him in the bilge and make him drink it,
                |: Put him in the bilge and make him drink it
                Early in the morning.
                Chorus:

8. Shave his belly with a rusty razor,
                |: Shave his belly with a rusty razor,
                Early in the morning.
                Chorus:

9. Soak 'im in oil till he sprouts some flippers,
                |: Soak 'im in oil till he sprouts some flippers,
                Early in the morning.
                Chorus:

10. Put 'im in bed with the Captain's daughter,
                |: Put 'im in bed with the Captain's daughter,
                Early in the morning.
                Chorus:
                http://www.musicanet.org/robokopp/shanty/whatshal.htm
                Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Depends on the company your with id imagine as I have heard of Maersk cadets being given the sack for turning up at the ship drunk...

Mine seems to work to the drink drive limit although if you do consume alcohol within four hours before you go on duty then you get the sack and they pass the complaint onto whichever flag state your registered as an officer with.
                  I personally dont think its worth it...
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

By drink drive limit do you mean the road one?

I'm not a massive drinker so I would be happy to stick to low levels of drinking while away at sea. Give me a couple of real ales over some nasty larger any day.

Comment

At the end of the day... would you drive your car drunk? (Hopefully the answer is no!) If your pretty sensible (assuming your not on a dry ship), no one is gonna complain if you have a beer or two after finishing watch.

Just bare in mind that emergencies can happen at any time... so its not just a case of not being drunk for your watch! And if your on a pax ship, turning up at the gangway wasted (regardless of when your next on duty) normally results in you flying home at your own expense fairly soon. As for cargo, I cant comment as Ive never been on one.
                      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

The same generally applies and having seen the effects of a motorman going on watch drunk and falling asleep during his watch it generally does not bode well for your future career at sea.
                        I remember we had a company notice turn up informing us that one navigation officer turned up to his watch wasted, Captain immediately breathalysed him and then sent him home. Company then informed the Flag state who issued his qualification and they basically demoted him back to his beginning rank. Serves him right, I mean its not like the whole D&A policy isnt plastered all over the bloody place...

Comment

Just dont do drugs while your a cadet simple.
                          I have been ashore with AB's and come back as worse as i can remember. As long as i was up on time the next day no one bothered. The fact that the ship was in port the next morning aswell made it not much of a bother.

Comment

so i take it you have a drugs test in the first few week and then every phase ??
                            Maybe I will never be
                            All the things that I want to be
                            But now is not the time to cry
                            Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Nah, its all done randomly. Although for us, it used to be the first half of the register so I was ALWAYS called up....

Comment

Working...
                              X