Essentials for college ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essentials for college ?

Whats everyones essential stuff they couldn't do without in college? (besides the obvious of clothes)

Re: Essentials for college ?

Forms of entertainment, so bring a laptop with movies etc.

For me an essential item was a fridge for the room.
    Forum Admin

Comment

If your living from home a laptop will be a good essential, like said a small fridge too, friends are essential as well
      Learning wise I would say bring a lot of writing paper for notes in class, calculators are essential, pens, markers etc, general writing utencils.
      Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

I've been looking through the equipment checklist that Warsash sent out, and obviously calculator, stationary, compass, protractor are essential, but just wondering if engine cadets really need to bring set-squares? or are they provided at the academy? cos the only ones i can find are pretty expensive :P

Comment

Yes they are required for your engineering drawing classes:

1 x 45 degree set square
          1 x 60 degree set square
          1 x pair of compasses

A selection of pencils is best.
          Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyC
            I've been looking through the equipment checklist that Warsash sent out, and obviously calculator, stationary, compass, protractor are essential, but just wondering if engine cadets really need to bring set-squares? or are they provided at the academy? cos the only ones i can find are pretty expensive :P
            just buy some plastic ones from asda or something, or WHSmiths, you can get this oxford writing utensil tin from there for around 4 pounds, has everything you need for an engineer during your NC / HNC .
            Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

On the deck side of things,

Do I need to bring dividers, parallel rules and the like or are they provided?

Comment

@ Jimbles

If your with CMT I am sure they provide you with the parallel rule. Look on CMT facebook page someone asked that question and they said they provide them. You might have to look as far back as the summer to see tha post though. Not too sure about the dividers though.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbles
                  On the deck side of things,

Do I need to bring dividers, parallel rules and the like or are they provided?
                  The colleges normally have a small supply for those who don't have them - but you will use them throughout your cadetship and career so its worth investing in them.

If you're at Warsash there is a stationary shop in the village who can supply you with them (including chart tubes) if you need them or you can buy them cheaper online.

I would recommend getting (if you arn't supplied by your company); Decent Compass (ie: Metal not the cheap plastic crap you get in the sets), Dividers (although you can just use a compass), 2B pencils (HB damage the charts and you're supposed to use 2B). You may also find a protractor (reasonably sized) or alternatively a 360 angle measurer useful for chart work too (the alternative involves using parallel rules and the compass roses).

As far as I know all the colleges teach you to use Parallel rulers for chart work - however on ship you may find they use a set of 2 triangle's - as they're a lot easier and faster to use.
                  ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                  myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Do the parallel rules need specific markings on them?

Comment

Originally posted by kayak
                      Do the parallel rules need specific markings on them?
                      Most have CM/MM on one of the edges and will also have the 0 - 360 deg markings on them - although you don't really need these - it just makes it quicker to do as you don't need to go to the compass rose on the chart and then slide your way across the chart to the bit you're working on.
                      ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                      myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Essential for college, willing to learn and putting in the hard work!

Comment

I got a thermal layer this weekend for the team building week at Fleetwood - maybe not essential for you.

otherwise uniform and stationary, scientific calculator etc.

Comment

Hi,
                            Can anyone tell me what a scale engineering drawing rule is please?
                            not really sure.

thanks

Comment

A scale rule is just like a normal ruler except it has scales instead your usual cm. umm for example 1:1 where 1mm is equal to 1mm, 1:2 where 1mm is equal to 2mm, 1:100 where.... You get the idea. It's used to work out the length of stuff on a drawing that has been draen to scale.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comment

Working...
                              X