Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silly question for cruisy types - hard epaulettes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly question for cruisy types - hard epaulettes!

Right, so I've got my seagoing uniform, including shirts with holes in the shoulders for hard epaulettes. I assume the laces go through the two holes on the shoulder end and a button through the hole on the neck end, but there's no hole through the epaulettes at the right point. Before I go wrecking them, just wanted to check that putting a hole in is the correct thing to do!
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Re: Silly question for cruisy types - hard epaulettes!

If your going to do it yourself it would be best to ask your specific company - or cadets that have already been on your ships as there are different ways of attaching them depending on company. (so far I've never seen the laces used, mine have always removed the laces and stuck a kind of hard plastic flap on to the back of them - which then passes through loops on the formal jacket - the button was always just a fake one - it never attached to the jacket. But as i haven't been on one of your ships I don't know how they do it)

Worst case wait till you get onboard and the ships tailor will fix it for you
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Interesting.

RN issue shirts as used by RFA have both loops to accept soft tabs, and holes to accept hard boards. Holes are used in the full manner, i.e. laces go through lower holes and tie at the back, long shank button through upper hole held on with a small split pin. On my cadet boards I didn't have a long shank button so one of the laces went through the eye on the button to hold it in place.

Alistair, can you take photos of the arrangements on your boards and jacket? It doesn't sound like any system I am familiar with.

CD, there is no hole through the epaulettes for the button? Are there other holes?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
        Alistair, can you take photos of the arrangements on your boards and jacket? It doesn't sound like any system I am familiar with.
        Unfortunately no, as my uniforms live onboard and I get new ones each time I join - if I remember I'll take a pic when I go back onboard.
        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

See attached pics. Apparently the button definitely does go through at the top of the braid, and I have two buttons with long "stems" and split pins... Hmmmm.
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

Those look like standard cadet boards, but I see what you mean about the lack of a hole. Manufacturing error?

Comment

Sorted, got Miller Rayner to punch holes in. Now to work out what to do with all that lace!
              sigpic

Comment

....try putting it through the holes in your shirt and tieing neatly with a bow on the inside of the shoulder. =]

Randomist once again holding the hands of the newbies

To boldly go.....
                Forum Administrator
                OfficerCadet.com

Comment

Shush you lol, there's so much lace though, will have to be a big bow.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
                    a big bow.

PRETTY

Come to me my pretty
                    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

To you from failing hands we throw - The Torch;
                      Be yours to hold it high.
                      If ye break faith with us of old,
                      We shall not sleep,
                      nor shall you either !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X