Calling all Offshore types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Offshore types

Looking around the forum, there are plenty of posts and threads about individual offshore companies, so shall we now have a thread covering all areas in ours, one of the least glamourous parts of the MN.

So if you work, have worked or want to work (believe it or not some of us chose this sector!) Offshore, be it on supply, standby, DSV or otherwise, let's hear from you, your experiences, opinions etc.

Re: Calling all Offshore types

Supply and AHTS been there, done that, considering a return but most companies I look at insist you work in a war zone or equally corrupt part of the world, got fed up of having to be arrested everywhere I went for being offensively western.......but to be fair was fun for 5 years

North Sea has way to many waves in it, I mean you get more waves in the north sea than the WHOLE of a Indian Ocean passage
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Spent the last year on a supply boat in the North Sea and was so incredibly and unbelievably bored, although last trip we were on the spot market so it was a bit more interesting.

Comment

Spot market?? What's that then?

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

where you buy spots from...he he he he

OR

It's where the oil companies go when they need a boat in a hurry to move something expensive, anything from a hot shot box of bits, to a whole oil rig needing shifting...Most boats are on permanent chrter for a lower rate, however most companies keep a few boats back cos spot market prices change all the time some big money can be made usually after real bad weather or similar
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Offshore construction vessel here. Currently in the Gulf of Mexico. Was one of the 60 or so boats that attended the deepwater horizon incident where we stayed on dp for 6 months straight.

Now working another oil field. Love it. Only thing is when on DP operations, maintenance is limited. Then there is never enough time in port to do much work to themains etc. Its different, but just as fun I think. In the last three months we have been all over the gulf. 10 days in dry dock in Tampa, Florida. Heaven!

Comment

I am doing my cadteship offshore. I have some concerns over the experience, or lack there of, that you are able to gain working on standby vessels restricted to the north sea. Indeed you gain valuable ship handling experiance, working sometimes within 50 metres of an instelation is highly impressive and even a little hair raising the first time. However the practicale experience when it comes to things like passage planning, and colision avoidance are limited. Passage plans are a line on the chart and you only really encounter situations requiring action to be taken on passage, so a grand total of 24 days in my whole training. Completion of the portfolio is difficult, many items relate to cargo which even tho carried still can't relate to the tasks listed. Many Of the vessels don't Have sextants so problems arrise with tasks relating to celestial nav. The vessels rarely anchor and so on. Advice from GCNS was, just talk through and get the tasks you don't have the opportunity to do signed. So in what way is that different from learning in college?

I am concerned that, though I will be able to gain my COC, I will be lacking vital experience, and therefore be incompetent to work on any other type Of vessel.

There must be a reason why the mca bileve that someone holding a fishing ticket is only competent to work standby, and survey. (nothing against fishermen). It just seems strange that you cAn do a cadetship and gain an unlimited COC on a vessel where most of the officers hold converted fishing tickets, infact I was away with a C/O studying to take his OOW exam, go figure! Anyway suppose there's not much can be done. Ah well

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comment

Dont worry! You wont be the only other incompetent officer out there!

Anywho, im sure you will, at some point, join a bit of a larger vessel as it will be required. Either that or you will have a restricted license. For engineers to have an unlimited ticket they need to have worked on a vessel with an engine power above 3100kw, I think...
                I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                X