Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job after graduation??

Hi all,
    I am seriously thinking about a career change and training as an officer cadet, however before I commit, I need to know that after 3 years of training and poor wages, that I will be able to get a job.

Any advise would be great

Re: Job after graduation??

Work hard, be good at what you do and know your place......3 rules for getting a job after qualifying-simples.

Oh, and yeah-plenty of work for you, but it's the same as everywhere else-crap people get crap jobs, cheap foreign labour get the good sounding jobs (which are in fact crap) and the top flight people will be happy as a sandboy.

Comment

there is a lot of money to be made on the cable laying ships operating remote operating vehicles, you don't need to do the officer training for that but being an ETO first seems to improve your chances.

jv - what area of work are you currently work in?
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Hi chris

Thanks for that. Believe it or not, I'm not looking to become exceedingly rich from a job. As long as I am comfortable.

I am currently a manager of two betting shops but want to do something more with my life.

I have also completed 2 of the 3 years of an electrical apprenticeship before being laid off. I'm just worried about leaving a secure job, working my balls of for 3/4 years at a crap wage and then being dumped as soon as they have to pay a propper wage.

Comment

Budget beforehand, make sure you can survive on your cadetship money. Remember if you're going down the FD route you can get a student loan for all three years, or HND for all except the first year, so that can bump up your pay.

The jobs will be there, as long as you do well, and if you're with a company that doesn't offer any prospect of further employment you may want to "network" during your cadetship and get to know people who might have jobs for you.

If you're looking for reasonably secure job prospects, go for the likes of Carnival, Princess, Viking (Holland America, Fred Olsen), BP, Shell, etc... Recently, Maersk haven't been employing all of their cadets but I believe they have found places for them with other companies post-qualification.
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

I would love to go with one of those companys however I didn't do A levels. I went straight into an apprenticeship and then the company went under.

Is there any chance of doing a cadetship with another company and then transfering?

Comment

Originally posted by jv2010
              I would love to go with one of those companys however I didn't do A levels. I went straight into an apprenticeship and then the company went under.

Is there any chance of doing a cadetship with another company and then transfering?

Most companies have a minimum return of service after you qualify (mine does).

Also, not doing A-levels won't necessarily preclude you from joining one of the above companies, I don't think, it just means that you would go down the HND route as opposed to the FD route. Did you do (and pass!) GCSE maths?

Comment

Yeah I did gcse maths and got b. In all I've got 10 gcse (grade a/c) and 1 d.

I then went to college and out of the 4 exams that I did (before the company went under) I got 4 distinctions.

Comment

I'd recommend putting an application in with Carnival - I'm with them and I'm doing the HND.
                  sigpic
                  Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
                    I'd recommend putting an application in with Carnival - I'm with them and I'm doing the HND.
                    Did you have A levels?

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDelta
                      Budget beforehand, make sure you can survive on your cadetship money. Remember if you're going down the FD route you can get a student loan for all three years, or HND for all except the first year, so that can bump up your pay.

The jobs will be there, as long as you do well, and if you're with a company that doesn't offer any prospect of further employment you may want to "network" during your cadetship and get to know people who might have jobs for you.

If you're looking for reasonably secure job prospects, go for the likes of Carnival, Princess, Viking (Holland America, Fred Olsen), BP, Shell, etc... Recently, Maersk haven't been employing all of their cadets but I believe they have found places for them with other companies post-qualification.
                      rubbish, you're less likely to get a job with the bigger companies as they mainly hire cheaper labour and sponsor british for the tax breaks.

Comment

Originally posted by jv2010
                        Did you have A levels?
                        Nope!

Originally posted by Pear
                        rubbish, you're less likely to get a job with the bigger companies as they mainly hire cheaper labour and sponsor british for the tax breaks.
                        It really depends on the company, but out of those listed you'll find that the majority have jobs for their cadets post-qualification.
                        sigpic

Comment

Do you still just apply online or just send them your cv?

I really can't wait to get the ball rolling! If only my brother wasn't getting married next September I might have joined then, but looks like I will be waiting until January 2012!

Bummer!

Comment

Carnival have a postal application form:

http://www.oceanopportunities.com/JobDo ... n_Form.doc

Might be worth sending a covering letter in too, explaining that you would be interested in January 2012.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that.

I think I will take your advise at the same time as applying to others as well. After all, they can only say no.

Comment

Working...
                              X