Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I start phase 1 in January 2011 - how should I Prepare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I start phase 1 in January 2011 - how should I Prepare?

DELETED - no longer a member.

Re: I start phase 1 in January 2011 - how should I Prepare?

Hello.

No idea what books you want, but I do have a pile of electronic deck stuff your welcome to if you want.

Swimming: You dont need to be an amazing swimmer, but you do need to be fairly confident with dragging someone around in the water. The lifejackets that you will be wearing are different to those used in Canoing, plus a lot of the time is spent swimming in the water.

Halls: You dont have to stay in the halls. Speak to Clyde Marine about it. I know a good number of folks who lived at home during their entire course.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Comment

With Lifejackets was how we did it.

Comment

The survival training is designed so that non swimmers can do it. Lifejackets at all times.
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Yeah, the life jackets are different from the ones on canoeing, mainly because what you use in canoeing is not a lifejacket, it is a buoyancy aid!! Life jackets make you float on your back with your head out of the water, buoyancy aids do not, they just make you float any old how.

Comment

I'd just chill out if I were you, if there was any need or requirement to prepare before the course starts, the college would let you know. If you want to get a head start, get some GCSE maths revision books and read The Cloudspotters Guide (by The Cloud Appreciation Society), make sure you have parallel rules, dividers, calculator and general stationary, and go visit some ships and ask questions!.

Your company will tell you what uniform to buy, (black trousers, white pilot shirts, wooley pulley, black tie and black shoes are the essentials, if they start going on about blazers and dress uniform, I wouldn't bother, no-one wears their blazer after the first couple of weeks!) You'll also want a boiler suit and safety boots or shoes for doing some of the short courses.

PST is easy, the only way you can fail is by not jumping (the one bit that scares the bejezus out of me!) You float, you join up in chains and do some synchronised flapping, it's nothing to worry about!!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Size4, it scares the bejeesus out of me too, but at least you have it out of the way!

OP, maths maths and more maths. Phase one isn't going to be crammed full of exciting salty things unfortunately!
                sigpic
                Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Comment

You can also fail PST by failing to be able to climb into the liferaft unaided. There is a trick to this, youtube it as It would take me ages to explain on here.

Comment

Comment

Geordie - Based on your age and being a local, I think you'll only have to stay in halls at STC for 1 month, just so they're happy you've made friends with your peers etc. Thats what happened to a South Shields guy who started in September anyway.

You're lucky, I'm here until Christmas, unless the Carnival cadets get to move out sooner encouraging Trinity to follow suite.
                        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie
                            Thanks again GuinnessMan.

After looking at a few videos on youtube, it appears that this is the best example of climbing in to a life raft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVakVBJyf80
                            Be a good idea to bounce yourself up and down in the water a few times. Use the extra bouyancy from the lifejacket to help propel you upwards. Thats what I did and I nearly went flying into the thing.

Comment

Are you joining South Tyneside College? for accommodation its mandatory to be there for phase 1 unless your agency and company agree otherwise, which is sometimes hard. You should get a list of Clyde for uniform requirements. I'm not sure with Clyde but SSTG don't pay you for the first month you work, so make sure to save just incase!
                              Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

Working...
                              X