Announcement

Collapse

SITE UPGRADE

We've just performed a major upgrade to the forum software. You may have noticed things look a bit different!

Please note that some features have yet to be reinstated, this will be done over the next few days. Attachments, pictures and signatures may not function as they should for the time being.

Thanks for your patience!
See more
See less

Voyage leave?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voyage leave?

Hi guys, this is probably a stupid question, but on my MEF draft training agreement (I start phase 1 in September) it says that 'Voyage leave will be calculated at 7 days per month served'. Can anyone tell my what this actually means? Is this time that I can take during or after my sea phase?

It means that for every month you do onboard a ship you are entitled to a weeks holiday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Deck Cadet with Gulfmark UK
    City of Glasgow College

Comment

Originally posted by RossTee View Post
      It means that for every month you do onboard a ship you are entitled to a weeks holiday

Sweet! But that's to be taken after the sea phase is finished, right? Or can I take time off during those months?

Comment

Originally posted by Euprymna View Post
        Sweet! But that's to be taken after the sea phase is finished, right? Or can I take time off during those months?
        Depending on your company contract, I myself am offshore so I do a few trips within a sea phase so have the time off between vessels where as others I know accumulated there’s throughout the phase and just used it all before heading back to College to start the next phase.

Deck Cadet with Gulfmark UK
        City of Glasgow College

Comment

I'll be honest, as cadets we have so little say in how or when it's taken that I wouldn't think about it too much. You will get some time off though!
          27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Comment

You'll have pretty much no say in the matter, and you won't actually know when your "leave" is as such.

You'll have a lot of time sat around in phase 2/4 waiting for the phone call that you're going to sea

Comment

Unfortunately as a cadet, you don't really get any time off, other than when you're waiting on the call to go.
              Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Thanks for all that guys! It's really helpful to know

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post
                Unfortunately as a cadet, you don't really get any time off, other than when you're waiting on the call to go.
                So does this mean the 4 months sea phase is solid absence? That's what I'd been imagining it as before I saw the bit about voyage leave, but that gave me a bit of hope that I'd still have a little connection back home (beyond occasional internet, that is), is that not the case?

Comment

Depends on your ship, your ship type, your company, your shore training officer, your sea time, your performance, your preference, your term dates...

Basically you know as much as us! Take it as it comes, it won’t be an easy to organise “you’re spending 4 weeks on this ship, having a week off, then spending 4 weeks on that ship”. Some people don’t come home during their sea phase, some are home more than they’re at sea!

Comment

Just to give you an idea...

Roughly 3 weeks ago I finished Phased 1, immediately un-packed and re-packed my bags on the day I arrived home in case the call came that I'm going to sea.

Heard nothing for 2 weeks then was told on the Friday that I'd be going to the Far East on Tuesday (yesterday). Just an hour before I was due to leave home I was told not to travel as plans had changed and I'd be going in a few days instead - all part of the fun.

So, your sea phases are mostly spent sat around waiting for calls that sometimes don't come for a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by 750XL View Post
                      Just to give you an idea...

Roughly 3 weeks ago I finished Phased 1, immediately un-packed and re-packed my bags on the day I arrived home in case the call came that I'm going to sea.

Heard nothing for 2 weeks then was told on the Friday that I'd be going to the Far East on Tuesday (yesterday). Just an hour before I was due to leave home I was told not to travel as plans had changed and I'd be going in a few days instead - all part of the fun.

So, your sea phases are mostly spent sat around waiting for calls that sometimes don't come for a long time!
                      When Sam says that he was sat around waiting for the call...I believe him aha.

Just to build on this, I heard nothing for what felt like weeks (but was probably only 3-4 weeks most) for the call before being told that I left in around 48 hours. You just have to take it as it comes.

Comment

So does this mean the 4 months sea phase is solid absence? That's what I'd been imagining it as before I saw the bit about voyage leave, but that gave me a bit of hope that I'd still have a little connection back home (beyond occasional internet, that is), is that not the case?
                        From memory, I had about a month and a half in phase 2, and roughly the same in phase 4. It wasn't all in one lump though, I think the most "continuous" time off I received was in phase 2, which was a month. Everything else was a week here, a few weeks there...

Notice wise - The most I got was a week, the least was less than 24 hours. Not counting the time I transferred from one ship to another in about an hour and half...
                        Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Thanks for all that guys, it's great to know what I'm in for! Don't we need 8 months sea time to qualify though? Or have a I got that wrong?

Comment

Thanks for all that guys, it's great to know what I'm in for! Don't we need 8 months sea time to qualify though? Or have a I got that wrong?
                            As an engineer, a minimum of eight months. You'll have your sea time split between phases 2 and 4.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaboundBySunrise View Post
                              As an engineer, a minimum of eight months. You'll have your sea time split between phases 2 and 4.
                              So how can you get 8 months if some of the time is spent waiting for the call? Sorry, I think I'm just being dim at the moment D:

Comment

Working...
                              X