Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stena Ferries - Final Trip Phase 4

Morning Ladies and Gents,

Just had a last minute joining date for Stena Ferries, Adventurer/Superfast X (Holyhead - Dublin). After spending 8 months on a research ship I'm sure the experience will come as a shock to the system!

Would anyone be able to shed any light on what to expect on arrival, conditions on board and what working/study hours roughly work out as? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Tom

You'll probably have a small cabin, probably a passengers one but sufficient enough. You'll have internet onboard, possible not accessible from your cabin but definitely in the saloon/mess. Sky tv, good food, good banter. Most likely you'll work from 8am to around 5pm most days, one day off a week for study/shore leave. You'll be joining as an "experienced" cadet so don't be surprised if after a few of weeks you'll be taking the watch for the crossing and loading/discharging the ship yourself, supervised of course!

If you haven't already finished your TRB or work based learning then you'll likely find some motivated mates who will help get you through it.

Comment

You may be shocked by the lack of social life onboard, compared to your previous experience. Ferries are short/sharp work, we work for short periods at high intensity and then enjoy our social life at home. The 12 hour (usually) work days mean most people work, eat, sleep when they're onboard; if this is the case it'll soon feel normal for you too.

The above answer covers the rest better than I could!

Comment

The guys all work 10+ hours a day, at bad times because the ferry arrives at each port 12 hours apart. I feel bad having time off on a Sunday to study! Nobody really chats much - doesn't help that there entire crew is the same nationality except me a one other, but they are friendly enough. Definitely too busy to want to spend their extra time asking me questions 😂

I have heard very good things about the Superfast/Irish Sea routes. Good experiences, Chief Officers etc who are willing to push you which is always nice. As far as I know they are crewed by mostly Brits too, which helps communication wise. The ships are managed by Northern Marine and Clyde Marine do the manning.

Comment

Hi there, I spent some time on the superfast 7. I can't really enlighten you much on the work you'd be doing but I can probably tell you a bit about the life style. For me, everyone in the engine room was working 11 hour shifts with the second and the chief engineers working 12 hours. For me it was 8-5 and I'd imagine you'd be doing the same hours. You'll be given a crew cabin, if it's like anything up north on the superfast 7, which consists of a very small single bed, small desk, small table with TV, 2 wardrobes and bathroom. TV was with a few sky sports channels, national geographic and some free view channels so quite a luxury in comparison to what I was used to. Personally for me I didn't particularly enjoy it, the officers are hugely supportive and you'll get stuck in with everything and they'll show you anything you'll need to know for TRB but there just is no social life at all onboard. Everyone is working long hours so after dinner everyone goes to their cabins to relax. It's nothing like what I was used to on tankers where every night there would always be a few watching A film in the TV room. Also I found the food quite poor even though there was a team of chefs onboard. It can also get quite confusing with a new team of officers and crew coming on every week. Life with smaller crews is much simpler in my opinion. I was glad I ha md the experience though as it's made me wanting to continue working deep sea.

Also, I found it got extemely repetitive
          Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

Think when i was there the cadets eere doin 10 hours a day. SMALL cabin. No real social life to talk of outside work hours. Everybody else is doing 12 hours a day so you cant expect too much. Some of the crew outside the engine and deck hang about the mess a bit but still pretty quiet. Few decent tv channels, youll get the world cup if your on over the summer...

Main thing about them is alot of maneuvering and work/sleep no time for much else.

The crew on the X are pretty dead on but, never been on the adventurer. Gonna be a bit rough at the minute

Comment

Working...
            X