Do BP still wear white shorts etc in warm conditions

Cold - woolly pulleys and black trousers
    Temperate - Red Sea rig
    Hot - white shorts and pilot shirts
    io parlo morse

Comment

Whats Red Sea rig? Are BP still wearing these on the bridge

Comment

Short sleeve pilot shirt and black trousers. What you wear depends on the OM.
        io parlo morse

Comment

Yes its not P&O cruises style red sea rig with a cummerbund.
          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

If you are not wearing a cummerbund you are not wearing Red Sea rig.

Comment

No it's BP Tanker Red Sea rig without a cummerbund. That's what it was always called when I worked for them
              io parlo morse

Comment

BP still quite strict on uniform then

Comment

They always used to tell us when there was to be a change of uniform in the noon announcement.
                  io parlo morse

Comment

You can switch the white shorts for white trousers no?

Comment

On a tanker? Only if you want everyone to laugh like a drain
                      io parlo morse

Comment

Ha, ok 😅

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          If you are not wearing a cummerbund you are not wearing Red Sea rig.
                          Maybe in the Navy, but in the MN, from my experience on general cargo, tankers, Ro-ro, gas carriers and container ships Red Sea Rig was Black Shoes, Black long trousers, short sleeve shirt and epaulettes. During that time I sailed with 5 different Companies and the only one that was different was Maersk, where the uniform was all grey and so Red Sea Rig was long grey trousers and short sleeve grey shirt with black shoes.
                          I never saw a cummerbund on a real working ship! But having said that I never served on a ship that had cargo that moaned .....
                          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.

"Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

So white shorts not really worn any more then

Comment

White shorts/pilot shirts are worn when it's hot.
                              Black trousers/pilot shirts are worn when it's temperate
                              Black trousers/pilot shirts/woolly pulleys are worn when it's cold.

This is at the discretion of the OM. If the modern BP is anything like the BP I worked for you will be told what dress of the day is. Some OM required anybody on and around the bridge to wear full fig when we had a pilot onboard.
                              Passenger ships have different rules.
                              io parlo morse

Comment

Working...
                              X