Female aspiring deck cadet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Female aspiring deck cadet

I'm looking to find out if there is any particular female friendly companies to apply to for a cadetship? I've been trying more than half a year now and after having no luck and being told I might struggle to gain sponsorship I am needing some advise. Any info would be appreciated

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I did my cadetship with Trinity House, the other girl on my course was a Clyde Marine cadet and was placed with Odjfel (sp?!). Who's told you you might struggle to find sponsorship? There's laws about discrimination these days!

So, who have you applied to so far? Have you re-assessed your CV lately? ( http://www.officercadet.com/content....o-writing-a-CV have a read of that and then you might want to ask some kind person to have a look over it for you once you've tweaked it, Careers at Sea are very helpful in that area) Have you got any experience that will make you stand out? These things, and more I'm sure, are all things that you need to consider before you pull out the "It's because I'm a girl" card. Don't misunderstand me, it is very challenging being a woman in this industry, but try to avoid pulling that card out unless you REALLY have to, as it's never going to do you, or any of us any favours. Work on this in the knowledge that there's a lot of people applying for cadetships and you have to make yourself stand out above them all, irrespective of your gender.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Apologies if that's the way my post came across that wasn't what I meant, I dont believe I'm struggling because I'm a girl, I know there are things such as my qualifications going against me which could be better. All I was wonder was if there was companies that recruited more females than others. I've not had any of those comments from any sponsoring companies it's just been in my last job as a deckhand all the old guys told me to find another career choice and I girls will struggle in the industry but I didnt pay much attention to what they said as I knew to expect that opinion from the odd person and I stuck with the young guys as they were always supportive and always teaching me everything they could. I've applied to almost all the companies on the careers at sea website and yes I undate my cv just unsure as to who to ask to check it over but I'll be sure to contact careers at sea, thanks

Comment

Excellent, and sorry if I came across a bit strong there! I've had plenty of the Old Skool brigade tell me there was no point in training me cos I'm only going to swank off and have kids in a few years and it's not a career for women etc etc.... B*ll*cks to em!

I don't think there are any companies that are more likely to hire girls really, you'll just have to keep working on them all. What kind of vessel have you been working as a deckhand on? That kind of thing is gold for your CV and covering letter! Have a read of this as well http://www.officercadet.com/showthre...-job-Read-this! It applies equally to the process of getting yourself noticed for a cadetship. Don't be disheartened that it's taking a while, we've got people on here who spent years applying and then got a place

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
          Excellent, and sorry if I came across a bit strong there! I've had plenty of the Old Skool brigade tell me there was no point in training me cos I'm only going to swank off and have kids in a few years and it's not a career for women etc etc.... B*ll*cks to em!
          How ladylike
          io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
            How ladylike
            Yep, that's me. Princess Floatypants McTwinkly-Ladidah.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Love it!

Comment

It was on a few different passenger vessels for the summer season, I felt getting that experience really boosted my cv I'm just not sure what more to do now, but I'll keep trying! All I can do is keep applying I suppose! I'll be sure to have a read of that link, thank you!

Comment

I was told the other day by BP that they have alot more female crew on their ships than other companies. Big companies like them are probably the most female friendly. I am a cadet with a cruise ship company myself.

Comment

It all depends what you want to get out of the cadetship. As its an unlimited ticket it doesn't tie you to any one company. If you want to be on board with other females then passenger vessels is the way to go. Although from my experience if being the only female on the ship would be a concern then you may be looking at the wrong industry. I did my cadetship on containers through SSTG and I have never sailed with another female. You need to sometimes remind them that you can do the job the same as any man! I got told at first the I couldn't climb a ladder because I was a girl. I just laughed at them and proceeded up the ladder. You have experience which a lot of people don't have when they apply. If you want to continue doing additional things towards this, have a look at the Maritime Volunteer Service : http://www.mvs.org.uk . I joined right after I qualified while I was looking for a job on a ship and it really helped my CV.

Comment

Originally posted by samsezhi View Post
                      I got told at first the I couldn't climb a ladder because I was a girl.
                      Lol. Who told you that?
                      io parlo morse

Comment

At a guess, I'd say a complete fool.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

If you think it could be your qualifications that are holding you back have thought about night classes or trying to improve them with an open university course? I was in the same position - I have experience working as a deckhand on super yachts but didn't have the best maths grade so decided that re sitting would be the best option. Its not easy working full time and studying but it had to be done! . Im still in the process of applying for a cadetship but have had positive feedback from lots of companies ( 1 interview down plus two more in the next week!). Keep trying, I'm sure you'll get there

Comment

Filipinos. They got used to me after awhile.

Comment

I think that happens a lot, the initial reaction of "EeerMaGuurD! It's a giiiirl!" is gotten over once they see you getting on with the work and doing all the things they do and they just start to see you as a person instead of a weird alien life form.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Working...
                              X