Role of deck officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Role of deck officer

Hi. Just wondering what the roles of the different ranks if deck officers are? What would the normal working hours be in terms of watches.
    Thanks in advance

At sea:

3rd Mate 8-12
    2nd Mate 12-4
    Mate 4-8

In port - depends
    io parlo morse

Comment

In my company (ERRV, North Sea)

Watches are;
      2nd mate 12-4
      chief mate 4-8
      Skipper 8-12

Plus drills, a couple a week.

2nd mate is in charge of charts and publications, a fairly minimal amount of paperwork, some general maintenance. In port deals with permit to work, in ship's office all day.

Chief mate is in charge of deck department, most maintenance, LSA and FFA.

Skipper deals with correspondence with company, lots of other stuff that I don't know about. On call at all times, in overall command of ship. Also, stability.

Chief and skipper definitely do a lot more paperwork than I am aware of. The good thing as 2nd mate is that you can often help the chief or captain with whatever they are doing. For example, the skipper had me double checking stability calculations this trip, chief has given me a good idea of how to use the ship maintenance program and what jobs I can realistically do from there.

Hope that helps.

R

Comment

It varies from company to company. In Maersk Line

3rd Mate - 8-12 (4-8 if there's an extra)
        Responsible for LSA and FFA, sometimes will assist the Captain with the port papers.

2nd Mate - 12-4
        Ship's Navigation Officer. Responsible for route planning, charts, all navigation/radio equipment, and usually responsible for the bridge filing system. Sometimes the 2nd Mate is assistant medical officer.

Chief Mate - 4-8 (day work if there's an extra 3rd)
        Ship's Executive Officer, all deck maintenance is the Chief's responsibility as well as cargo, garbage, security, cadet training, and pretty much anything else that isn't already being covered by the 2nd and 3rd mates.

Captain - day work and on call 24 hours a day
        Full command of the ship, legally everything onboard falls under his responsibility.

The hours I've given are only for bridge watches, usually you'll do a minimum of 2 hours overtime a day.

Comment

Originally posted by perksy121 View Post
          usually you'll do a minimum of 2 hours overtime a day.
          "Overtime" sounds to me as though there is an implication that you're going to get paid more for doing it or shouldn't have to do it all the time. It's not overtime, it's just standard working hours; 10hrs a day is the basic minimum you can expect to do when on watches. 14hrs a day is the most you can legally do.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Yep, overtime as a concept on ship is nonsense. Its not a normal job so I prefer to focus on hours of rest and accept everything else as work.
            Superyacht OOW
            SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
            Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

Yeah by "overtime" I just meant work outside of your watches, that's usually what we simplify it to onboard anyway.

Comment

Fair enough, I still think it sounds weird though. We call it daywork.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
                  14hrs a day is the most you can legally do.
                  Just to clarify that, as there seems to be a common misconception around this point.

Seafarers are required to have a minimum of 10 hours rest in any 24 hour period, however, there is another requirement for 77 hours rest per week which many people overlook. which means that you should not regularly be working for more than 13 hours per day.
                  Go out, do stuff

Comment

On cruise ships you will become proficient in the use of heeling tanks, telling tenders to come alongside and proceed ashore as well as receiving Masters CoC in Word, Excel, Powerpoint and being able to take a banana twice a day everyday.

Comment

AHTS
                      Master + 2/O 0600-1200 + 1800-2400
                      C/O + 2/O 0000-0600 + 1200-1800
                      Plus additional hours to complete other tasks.
                      Occasionally can be quiet, but generally a full trip of Anchor Handling and Cargo will average 13 hours a day... Or maybe a little more......
                      In 18 months I've only had one swing that could be considered quiet (averaged 12 hours a day on that. Hardest money I've ever made.

Comment

So is 13 hrs the norm on most offshore vessels?

Comment

Originally posted by dave123 View Post
                          So is 13 hrs the norm on most offshore vessels?
                          Yes pretty much. You might get the odd day where the captain lets you go and do your safety gear whilst on watch, but if you are either anchor handling or doing supply work using dynamic positioning then the junior deck officers would normally be working 13 hours per day most days.
                          Go out, do stuff

Comment

Is offshore hard to get into as a cadet. Would you need a lot of experience to get into them. What are the main offshore companies?

Comment

Working...
                            X