Promotion - Moving up the ranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion - Moving up the ranks

I was wondering if anyone could explain how an officer would get promoted? I know you need the appropriate certificate but, once you have it, do you have to take the initiative and apply for higher responsibility positions in other companies? Or is it a case of waiting to be promoted by your own company at the recommendation of your current superiors? Also, do you need to ask for time off from your company once you've done enough sea time to go and get your Mate's and Master's certificates?

Re: Promotion - Moving up the ranks

Oh My Lord....ermmm all of the above to be honest....
    Some companies arent expanding so you will be waiting to be promoted, others are short staffed and promotion is rapid, as for moving from company to company for promotion, it happens

Initially....cadetship, you may or may not get a job with the sponsoring company.
    3rd mate/4th engineer......18 months sea time, go to college get your ticket....after that it's a bit hit and miss, if you are in the right place at the right time it might be fast otherwise wait and see.
    2nd mate / 3rd engineer........18 months sea time...see above

As for study leave it varies from company to company, however the usual is apply ASAP, as they have training budgets you work out when you "should" have enough sea time, if they agree you go otherwise your names on the list and you wait. Most companies though if they send you for your tickets expect you to sign on saying that after completion of the ticket you will stay for x years /months after completion, but thats them stopping people "taking advantage"

Occasionally it is know for the relief situation to be a bit "stretched" and senoirs will ask you, if you stop on for a while would oyu like you next job? you say yes, you get reccomended theres a bit of horse trading and you are up and running

Normally applying (internally) for a higher job isnt needed, if you're any good the reporting system and "mafia" will have you noted........
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Thanks, Chiefy! Hey, you've been around the block a few times. Have you been with Maersk all your sea-going life? If you don't mind me asking...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhart
        Thanks, Chiefy! Hey, you've been around the block a few times. Have you been with Maersk all your sea-going life? If you don't mind me asking...
        around the block a few times..../me raises an eye brow.....

No I was with P&O Containers / Nedlloyd...left when I saw promotion was stuck, moved to a local company here for 6 months but they where shocking, phoned Maersk and havent mooved since......22years this Septemeber since I started my cadetship, just 3 employers, but done loads of intersting things and ship types too

Now the pub is open and I want to see if I can repeat last weeks feat of removing ?200 from the bookie nextdoor...all praise 20-1 winners followed by a 16-1 and a 50-1 second....... not bad for a ?12 investment

plan B is of course to drink toooooo much way way tooooooo much....happy-apples ho!
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

What is it with sailors and bookies? The 2nd mate won 470 beer vouchers last month while we were in drydock on some incomprehensible accumulator bet; he appeared in the mess several hours later having tried and failed to drink it all...
          '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
          just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
          down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
          new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Working...
          X