Contract Lengths for Carnival UK etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract Lengths for Carnival UK etc

correct me if im wrong, but i think for third officers its either 3 months on 2off, or 4 on 2 off
    feel free to clarify that for me, thanks

just wondering, as you go up the ranks progressing to second, staff captain and ultimately master, would you spend more/less time at sea? or is it no different?

thanks

Re: contracts for carnival uk etc

Traditionally the higher up the food chain the more leave until you reach 1:1 be it weeks or months but you get time on time off.

Some sections (like ferrys, Deep Sea Tugs and Anchor Handlers) get this pretty much from the get go,4th/ 3rd officer upward
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

ah rightio,
      so as a third officer one would expect for carnival at least, 4 months on, two months off?

and then a captain, one month on, one month off?

Comment

Originally posted by JChristensen
        ah rightio,
        so as a third officer one would expect for carnival at least, 4 months on, two months off?

and then a captain, one month on, one month off?
        Not quite,
        For Junior ranks you are spot on however:-
        You will (probs) get 1:1 which is time on:time off, in many cases it's 2-3month:2-3months, it can depend on the management AND your back to back.

EG my company expects Capt, C/O, C/E, 2/E to do 11wks:11wks both +-2wks, after that it's up to the management team (ie the top 4) to make it work and the port rotation etc, so if I get Christmas at home one year it would not be unreasonable for me to be away the next, and for us to make the above work out that we both work the same amount of time OVER THE WHOLE YEAR, so I my do a 65 day trip and a 90 day trip so my back to back gets into rotation for his christmas off. The company (personnel) arent intersted unless there are arguments OR the travel bill gets too high IE too many crew changes which would indicate trips being too short.
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
        Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
        No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

On carnival uk the rotation for a third is three months on to 6 weeks off. It's the same ratio as 4on 2off but that length of contract is typically worked by non brit junior officers.

As you move up to the ranks of the shipboard executive committee (i.e captain & dep. captain) it is one for one.

Comment

thanks chiefy
            and thanks jock for your information specifically regarding cruise companies, really helpful

Comment

Working...
            X