• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandpatch
    • May 2015

Norwegian Cadet

Hello,
    I have studied in Norway and I have finished a 3 years maritime bachelor to become a deck officer. All I need now is 12 months at sea to finish my education. Unfortunately in Norway it is very difficult to get hired so I am wondering, do you guys know some companies that would hire fully educated cadets?

Regards,
    Sandpatch
  • GuinnessMan
    OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
    • April 2010

Originally posted by sandpatch View Post
    Hello,
    I have studied in Norway and I have finished a 3 years maritime bachelor to become a deck officer. All I need now is 12 months at sea to finish my education. Unfortunately in Norway it is very difficult to get hired so I am wondering, do you guys know some companies that would hire fully educated cadets?

Regards,
    Sandpatch
    Have you spoken to Wilhelmsen?
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

• The Kraken
      • September 2013

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
      Have you spoken to Wilhelmsen?
      I think they have stopped employing Norwegians and Brits as officers now, there was a big exodus last year where a lot of the european officers left due to a change in policy.

Comment

• GuinnessMan
        • April 2010

Originally posted by The Kraken View Post
        I think they have stopped employing Norwegians and Brits as officers now, there was a big exodus last year where a lot of the european officers left due to a change in policy.
        Fair enough. What about one of Fredriksen's companies? Frontline, Golar, etc?

Comment

• sandpatch
          • May 2015

Actually I haven't called them specifically but since they all have headquarters abroad and no Norwegian vessels it is highly unlikely they will accept me. I will give them a call though and see what happens.

Comment

• bahco
            • October 2013

Have you tried story cruise ltd as they own Marco Polo and I remember watching the documentary and they had someone you had just finished their deck officer training in a marine school in Norway and they were doing their sea time on board Marco Polo.

Robert
            Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

• sandpatch
              • May 2015

Fair enough. What about one of Fredriksen's companies? Frontline, Golar, etc?
              They only take people from the Philippines, Croatia or Russia

Comment

• sandpatch
                • May 2015

Originally posted by therookie101 View Post
                Have you tried story cruise ltd as they own Marco Polo and I remember watching the documentary and they had someone you had just finished their deck officer training in a marine school in Norway and they were doing their sea time on board Marco Polo.

Robert
                Will look into them soon.

Comment

• GuinnessMan
                  • April 2010

Originally posted by sandpatch View Post
                  They only take people from the Philippines, Croatia or Russia
                  Are you sure? I've known of other Norwegian cadets sailing with them.

Comment

• MrStealth
                    • February 2014

Farstad, DOF, Edda shipping, NORlines, Bore shipping, Stenaline, Hurtigruten... If the island of Alesund isn't too far away from you, I would suggest spending a few days going around various offices handing over copies of your CV.
                    Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

• sandpatch
                      • May 2015

Are you sure? I've known of other Norwegian cadets sailing with them.
                      Well they said that they don't take them anymore. Golar said directly that they only take Croatians or Russians, they weren't even able to pay the salary to Scandinavian people. Frontline sent me to V-ships. They only accepted people from the Philippines.

Comment

• sandpatch
                        • May 2015

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post
                        Farstad, DOF, Edda shipping, NORlines, Bore shipping, Stenaline, Hurtigruten... If the island of Alesund isn't too far away from you, I would suggest spending a few days going around various offices handing over copies of your CV.
                        Farstad only take people from ?lesund. DOF don't accept cadets that have finished last year. Edda shipping (?stensj?) I ahve good contact with, but they only accept people who have been there before. Nor-lines I am trying to figure out if there is a chance for people from Scandinavia. Stena Line I am also trying my best to find get a job there. Hurtigruten just had an ad out but they got 200 applications so no job there.

I have actually thought about going there but it seems as if they already are very full but I will still keep the idea in mind

Comment

• Faust
                          • January 2011

Maersk? Or do they only like Danes?

Comment

• MacNeil
                            • October 2012

I'm a cadet with Solstad, and they have alot of Norwegian cadets - although I am not sure what the application process is like for them. Their head office is Skudeneshavn on Karmoy.
                            C

Comment

• The Kraken
                              • September 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Maersk? Or do they only like Danes?
                              I know Maersk aren't hiring officers, not sure about cadets but they usually want them to go through the cadetship start to finish with them as cadets.

Comment

Working...
                              X