Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a small query into who sponsors where..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a small query into who sponsors where..

Hi everyone,

I've just got a quick question about Sponsorships, I live in Lancashire and would like to apply to a company for sponsorship through training, will every company sponsor me at any college? Or are some companies college specific i.e. BP will only sponsor me if i go to Warsash.

Just wondering because I'd preferably like to go to Fleetwood College being from Lancashire! If it is the case that some sponsors only sponsor for certain colleges, could anyone give me any details on which companies would sponsor for Fleetwood College?

Thanks very much,

Tom

With respect Tom, your main priority should be what shipping company you want to work for. There is no point doing a cadetship on (for example) ferries just because the ferry company send you to Fleetwood, when actually you want to work on tankers.

To answer the question; There are some companies who prefer to send all their cadets to a particular college while other companies (and most of the training groups like Clyde or SSTG) will send you to whichever college they choose. You are unlikely to get a say.

Comment

I wouldn't recommend choosing a college based on the fact that it's close to home. You need to get used to being away for months at a time without the option to pop home for the weekend. Not only do you get used to this, but by being non college specific, you have more options in regards to sponsors.

Comment

As Jacob says, it's better (if less convenient) to be further from home.

Most of the major companies will try and send cadets to colleges further from their home to prepare students for sea. Obviously sometimes logistics get in the way.

Remember if you get the career you want you'll be away from home all the time, so choose a sponsor that interests you rather than one that keeps you at home.

To boldly go.....
        Forum Administrator
        OfficerCadet.com

Comment

BP send cadets to either Fleetwood or Warsash, usually to the one you live closest too. (Though not a complete guarantee.) Some companies have a preference to send you to the furthest college away from you (Maersk I believe). Smaller companies such as Carisbrooke operate from a sole college. (Warsash).

James Fisher, BP, Royal Caribbean, & Clyde use Fleetwood either solely or alongside other colleges. (I believe!)

Comment

As mentioned though mate, no specific college is a guarantee. Apply for companies your interested in and if you get sent to the college you want, consider it a bonus.
            uk.linkedin.com/in/bjwmcgrath

Comment

Exactly what Jacob and BMcGrath have said don't jeopardise the chances given just because you won't be going to the college of your choice (you may even get the one you want)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

I can only reiterate what's been said above. I was lucky in getting to pick my college (AE were sending me to either WMA or Fleetwood) as in their opinion I had to be away from home wherever I went. With a college on your doorstep, you may not be so lucky. Just get a cadetship first, then worry about it. Best of luck!
                Anglo-Eastern Cadet sponsored by DAO Shipping. I also like steam engines.

Comment

Sorry to say it but some has to. If you can't handle a college on the other side of the country how will you handle a ship on the other side of the world?

Comment

I understand your viewpoint Lewis, but I never said I wouldn't be able to handle being away from home, it was merely something I was curious about. However, the advice Ive been given has made me realize that where I could potentially study shouldn't be so high in my priorities, should i receive an offer. Thanks for the quick and useful replies.

Comment

I have to disagree with the whole mentality of you are going away to sea get used to it with regard to college. When qualified as an officer you get to go home, if whilst at college you get to do the same I really don't see the harm in it, providing of course it doesn't jeopardise or you discount certain sponsors because of your college choice.

Comment

Thanks, that was my initial thought.

Comment

That's true for some people. But remember alot of cadets have came straight from school. They have never lived on their own. Some I've meet have never ironed a shirt, cooked a meal or even woke themselves up in morning. Part of the idea of a college far away is to reduce shock of going away from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                            That's true for some people. But remember alot of cadets have came straight from school. They have never lived on their own. Some I've meet have never ironed a shirt, cooked a meal or even woke themselves up in morning. Part of the idea of a college far away is to reduce shock of going away from home.
                            How can making someone live away from home for three months "reduce the shock of going away from home"? Surely, by making that cadet live so far away from home they can't visit their parents/loved ones occasionally you're just compounding the shock?
                            Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

But its not as big a shock. You can still phone home any time you want, eat the food you know, be around people who all speak English as first language. Going to a student flat on other side of the country would be a less of a shock than ship in middle of the Pacific.

Comment

Working...
                              X