Dermatitis - ENG1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dermatitis - ENG1

I have my ENG1 on the 11th of July and was wondering if my Dermatitis on my hands would affect this. I have checked the web and can not find much info on it, I have cream which keeps it from flaring up and it doesn't affect me at all really. Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks!

This might have some information for you, but your doctor would be able to advise you. I suppose it depends how serious it is what causes it to flare and how likely you are to find it on a ship.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...47/msn1822.pdf

Comment

Are you going for deck or engine?

I have sailed with 2 people who struggled with dermatitis and in both cases it was put down to stress.

One left the sea a few years ago because he thought that he was allergic to oil, but has managed to regain and ENG1 as an engineer even though he still suffers a little with dermatitis.
      Go out, do stuff

Comment

Engine, yeh it flares up now and again but never causes me any problems. Just a little worried about the ENG.

Comment

I'm sure it will be fine - especially if it is under control. Nothing to worry about. The ENG 1 is basically checking that you are not likely to drop dead onboard, get into serious medical trouble or go bananas.
          Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Also i was just wondering how my eyesight would affect the outcome the ENG1, I am shortsighted and require glasses for seeing text at distance. I have glasses and understand an eye test will be preformed with visual aid but also that another one will be done without visual aid, Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Connor McDermott View Post
              Also i was just wondering how my eyesight would affect the outcome the ENG1, I am shortsighted and require glasses for seeing text at distance. I have glasses and understand an eye test will be preformed with visual aid but also that another one will be done without visual aid, Thanks!
              Unless you're totally blind as a bat and cant see bugger all without the aid of binoculars, you'll be ok....
              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Connor McDermott View Post
                I've got a scar on one of my eyeballs (and a tear shaped pupil to boot!), and decimated the cornea of the other with enzymes... and I still passed! So I'm sure you'll pass A.OK!
                Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post
                  I've got a scar on one of my eyeballs (and a tear shaped pupil to boot!), and decimated the cornea of the other with enzymes... and I still passed! So I'm sure you'll pass A.OK!
                  What on earth where you doing!? Cooking Meth?
                  I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

It's Walter White!
                    io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post
                      What on earth where you doing!? Cooking Meth?
                      It was for personal use, I swear.

Comment

sounds like science lessons going awry to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
                          sounds like science lessons going awry to me!
                          That is a WHOLE different story all together.

Comment

I had eczema (similar to dermatitis) when I was a lot younger, and still get it a little bit on my fingers now. Told the doctor at my medical, and she asked what caused it (artificial colours) and said nothing to worry about. If your entire body isn't covered and you aren't scratching it all the time, I don't think they would see it as a problem (unless there is a workplace based trigger, like oil in an engineers case.)

In terms of eye sight, the engineers guidelines are a bit less strict than a deckies. For a deckie, you need to read the top letter of an opticians chart (glasses off) and the line that is considered 20/20 vision with your glasses on. The guidelines should be online - it might be worth checking the ENG1 guide thread on here as I think the guidelines are on a PDF.

Good luck with your medical

Comment

If you did fail the eye test and are still keen on the career like what happened to my classmate before he started here. He failed then went away and got laser eye surgery then came back 6 months later and passed.

Comment

Working...
                              X