Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is still recruiting - Comments thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by philbrum View Post
    They said my application was fine otherwise, just the grades are letting me down.
    So your three A's at A level were letting you down? - come on, that can't be right.
    Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyNougat View Post
      So your three A's at A level were letting you down? - come on, that can't be right.
      Well that's the feedback I got. Probably the reason why I went on my bemused mini-rant on here...

Comment

hmm - something very odd with that. are you sure they did not mix you up with someone else?
        Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

if you want me to check your CV and cover letter PM me - I always find that is what lets people down, I've had a couple of guys on here get places after I've given them some advice on what they need to say.

Comment

I suppose it might be worth asking, just to make sure. It just makes it all that more annoying that the company I would like to be sponsored by is one of theirs.

Comment

It's definitely not your A-levels. I applied to SSTG 12 days ago and was offered an interview the following day. My A-levels were in geography, history, business studies and general studies and I only got an A in one! As has been mentioned it may be worth sprucing up your C.V. Also I think the covering letter (why you want to join) is important. If I remember rightly SSTG recommended 250 words. I completely ignored that and wrote around 500 words! That being said Clyde rejected me just as quickly so my advice is to keep applying.

Good Luck!

Comment

I have to say that I am disappointed with some of the rants in this thread. For one we do not have a complete picture of every application. Of course some of it comes down to presentation and wording of the CV, and we all jump on the band wagon of saying "3 A levels not good enough? Are you sure?" but here is the thing. Most of the Companies recruiting are asking for a minimum requirement of B grades in GCSE's in Maths and Science. You could have a candidate who got three A Levels at good grades in non maths or science related subjects but if they have not got a B in Maths at GCSE then I am sorry the recruiters hands are tied. They have a minimum standard and if you fall below it then no matter how well you present yourself, your grades and your hobbies, you fail at the first hurdle.

As to the fact that rejections are a bit blunt. Personally any response at all is a bonus these days and personally I would prefer it not to be sugar coated! Perhaps a phone call at a suitable time, a discussion with the recruiter and some carefully worded questions such as "where are the weaknesses in my application", "Would you welcome another application from me", "Can you give me more details about my reasons for rejection" would all go towards giving you a full picture of why you were rejected. Coming on here and making comments that recruiters are not professional is a sure fired way to get your CV and application straight from envelope to shredder no matter how many times you apply. I have said this before and I will say it again - I would not be a recruiter for all the tea in china!

1) Make sure your CV is as good as it can be, check it, get it checked, rewrite and check again.....

2) Make sure you meet MINIMUM requirements at EVERY level

3) Make sure applications are complete, accurate, neat and fulfill the criteria and answer all the questions. NEVER part fill out an application form and then write "see attached CV" in boxes and staple a CV to the back.

4) Any personal Statement or covering letter needs to be thought through, rewritten, honed and tailored as much as your Personal Profile in your CV

5) Follow up on EVERY application, EVERY interview and EVERY offer

6) If you are not successful find out why from the RECRUITER

7) Keep your personal statements and opinions of recruiters to yourself or in Private Messages. Whilst it is important to have feedback and help - and there is lots of that in abundance here, remember you only hear one side of the story, and I would not expect any recruiter to come on here and justify themselves, despite the fact they must be cross at some of what they read on here. There is such a thing as Libel and we are all responsible for what we write. Personally I would not pass a comment on a recruiter on the basis of what one person has said is their experience.................

8) Finally be HONEST. Tell them of other interviews and offers or ask for time to consider any offer if you need time and above all let them know if you are going to reject an offer as soon as you can - there are other people hanging on to see if they have been successful.

Ian

"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by old woman of the sea View Post
                  Can't tell you how helpful this is! Thank you, and please keep the updates coming. I'm applying for Sept '15 so plenty of time for me but my son is hoping to get in somewhere for Jan. Thanks again.
                  My Pleasure! As another update for you:

There are still places for a January 2015 start!

I have received an update email from SSTG which is good news for those still looking for a January start:

"10 Deckies still required, Evergreen, CMA, Paccships UK and North Star Shipping. 3 Engineers for CMA and P&O ferries."

So - still looking for a January start? There are jobs out there!

Ian
                  "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
                  "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Hi Ian

Sorry to ask, but are CMT still recruiting for January? Got an interview next week and January would be the perfect start date!

Comment

Originally posted by Andyk93 View Post
                      Hi Ian

Sorry to ask, but are CMT still recruiting for January? Got an interview next week and January would be the perfect start date!
                      Andy,

Really sorry, but I cannot help you. I send an identical email to all the recruiters and the last time I sent it Clyde, Maersk, Trinity House, Viking and Chiltern all declined to give me the information. I do find it strange when I am looking to help them by presenting factual information in the "Who is still recruiting" table here as to why they would not respond to my emails, but that is their choice.....

Sorry I cannot help with Clyde, but I do know that SSTG are still recruiting for Jan.

Ian

Comment

No problem Ian, thanks for the reply!

Definitely a bit strange, but guess will have to wait and see! Dream would to be cruise ships, so fingers crossed for Clyde and hope for

Andy

Comment

They think it's all over for January 2015 - it isn't yet!

I have received an update email from SSTG, which is good news for those still looking for a January start:

"5 Deckies and 1 Engineer for Container Ships and Bulkships still available"

So - still looking for a January start?

Ian

Comment

Thanks, as always, for the update. However, I'm a bit confused. One of the companies I have applied for got THIRTEEN HUNDRED applications for 30 or so slots. A big company like SSTG must get a similar number of applicants and most of the posts on here seem to say that getting a cadetship is very difficult. How, then, can a company have 5 vacancies on a course that is starting in a few weeks? Is it because lots of people can't start until Sept (like me?) Genuinely curious.

Comment

it's a combination of things, financial years run differently for some companies so they may not make any decisions till late in the gregorian calander, other plan well ahead and so fill up the college slots way in advance.

There is even some churn BEFORE college starts, people chaning minds, sponsors, life events

And then there are things like a chnage of management in a company may lead to a policy change and open up new or extra slots. Also the like of SSTG and CMT might have picked up new companies or sold the idea to new companies "just in time"

And the colleges can also play a part by not deciding to run a course till late on in the day.....so loads of reasons why it can go down to the wire and I am sure theres more I havent even thought of
                              Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                              Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                              No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Slightly off topic but I've decided on an application to the MN leaving University after completion of this year. I have my eye on cruises, but other than Viking Recruitment and Princess, no applications seem to be open and they are horrifically vague on when applications for Sept 2015 open.. I also have an application in with the RFA, I assume that will be Dartmouth September and College Jan 2016 if successful..

Anyone have any idea on the sate of applications for September 2015??

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
                                X