Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is still recruiting - Comments thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applied to SSTG and was very quickly told my 3 As at A Level, one of which is physics, is not enough for even an interview.

Pretty disappointed to say the least.

Comment

Really sorry to hear that. September or Jan? Did you get any other feedback? I got a rejection after 2 days which made me feel like they hadnt even read past the first page! Keep your chin up!

Comment

Philbrum, was that the only feedback SSTG gave you? I would be surprised if that was the reason you were rejected seeing as the minimum requirements for the foundation degree is 120 UCAS points (you have 360 with 3 As) and for the HND you just need GCSEs.

Anyway, don't be disheartened, no reason why you can't apply again, and make sure you also apply to other sponsors as well.

If you haven't already, take a look at Hatchorder's CV writing tips article, lots of useful info there.

Comment

Well I recieved one email the same day I applied saying

Thank you for your interest in SSTG. We have received your application unfortunately, this will not progress any further as we have better applicants to interview.
          So I asked for more feedback and was told

most of our companies are looking for Foundation degree students that have A level maths and science.
          I do have a A at GCSE in mathematics, but no A Level. I know they will have a lot of candidates and the bar is higher these days, but I didn't think it would be that high!

I was very excited too after seeing they were still recruiting for January.

Comment

I suspect SSTG had a large number of applicants for the last few places and so were unable to interview all the candidates.

As I said before, don't be disheartened, get writing the perfect CV/personal statement and apply to lots of sponsors for September 2015! The more you apply to, the more chance you have of being accepted.

Comment

I'm absolutely astonished that they used the phrase 'better applicants'! Very poor and unprofessional use of language. Keep trying!

Comment

Originally posted by old woman of the sea View Post
                I'm absolutely astonished that they used the phrase 'better applicants'! Very poor and unprofessional use of language. Keep trying!
                Where did you get that from?

Comment

What else would you expect it to be? If your not offered a job the only two possible reasons are they had better applicants or they had no vacancies. Better to be honest about it than beat around the bush with meaningless management double speak. We find your synergies don't align with our corporate philosophy for example.

Comment

I agree with Lewis, I'd like to be told why I'd been rejected instead of a cheery letter telling me the standard was high this year or that I wasn't a suitable fit or that kind of thing.

Comment

Of course you want an honest response but 'better applicant' is vague and insulting. If they'd said 'better qualified' or 'someone with more practical experience' etc it would be fine. You can be honest without being insulting. There seems to be a mentality that we should all be begging for cadetships with absolutely anyone and being grateful to get a chance, instead of realising that it's a 2 way street and that companies should be happy to be getting high quality applicants and doing more to sell themselves. We do have choices.

Comment

You should be grateful to get a chance alot of people don't. There are many more applicants than places.

Comment

I do agree the choice of words wasn't exactly what people should get in a letter like that, batters confidence somewhat, when the news isn't good anyway.
                          Three very good A levels, and you have Physics which is very maths orientated, and bearing in mind HND doesn't even need them. I was surprised. I would have thought a few words along the lines of unfortunately you were unsuccessful, we have a lot of strong candidates that also have maths at A level which we are taking forward for interview.
                          Anyway there are lots more out there! There are far more places in September if you are not successful in January.

Comment

the trick is not to be disheartened by rejection - it's a part of any job market.
                            Of course your A-Levels are enough to get you a cadetship, but these days recruiters are looking for far more than just good grades. I would have someone check your CV and application. It's no good just resting on your laurels with great A level results and being miffed when people don't bite your hand off.
                            As for the phrasing of the rejection - I'm delighted to say that the shipping industry (generally) tends not sugar coat things - it is rather refreshing when you get used to it
                            Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

Well I suppose it was a bit better than just - sod off. Though of course they are dealing mainly with quite young people who have yet to experience the 'refreshing change' of the shipping industry, they are far more used to the praise that comes with effort at school and colleges, and sanctions when they don't.
                              I'm a bit old school and prefer to see helpful polite constructive comments in a rejection letter. There doesn't need to be any sugar coating to be able to do that well. These after all are professional recruiters who should be able to produce something a bit better phrased. I get loads of unsolicited CVs sent to me at work, I look at them and always reply, politely!
                              Though getting that CV checked is a good idea.
                              It strikes me they must have been inundated with a great number of very high achieving candidates who must have some seriously good other qualities in their CV's if 3 A's at A level including Physics and good GCSE's too is insufficient to make the cut.
                              I'm sure there was a post a while ago that there were insufficient candidates with good academics, or perhaps I have read it elsewhere.
                              Anyway back to staring at that bottle of bubbly and resisting temptation!

Comment

It did strike me as a little bit off, but I've worked for 14 years now so I'm used to it!

They said my application was fine otherwise, just the grades are letting me down.

Comment

Working...
                                X