Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is still recruiting - Comments thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AbdulRafiq_14 View Post
    are they still recruiting ?
    Abdul,

I do not believe that there are many companies still recruiting for a September start now - you are a bit late. However the recruitment process for January is now in swing.

Hope that helps.

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
    "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
      Abdul,

I do not believe that there are many companies still recruiting for a September start now - you are a bit late. However the recruitment process for January is now in swing.

Hope that helps.

Ian

Hi I am hoping to start in janurary! I had applied for a september start in feburary but got told I needed better grades which I now have I applied for SSTG a week ago, will I still be considered for Janurary start ?
      ~Con Affetto
      ~Abdul R. Rafiq

~It's your dream! If you want it to happen, Get your butt up and make it happen. If you want it to happen, Rise and Grind.
      ~

Comment

Hi all,

A recent update from SSTG has told me that they are looking for 32 Deck Cadets, 25 Engineer Cadets and 3 ETO's for January.

So zip on over if you are looking for a job to their website and start applying.

I am going to send an email to all the recruiters to get an update on the January recruitment window so expect an update of all the recruiters soon.

Regards,

Ian
        "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
        "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Abdul,

In reality applications for cadetships are not "Fire and Forget". You need to follow up, not to the point of annoying people, but along the lines of speaking to the recruiter to find out if they received your application. The next question to ask is "Have I been succesful?" If not then do not just put the phone down and move on - ask them if they have a couple of minutes to explain why you were not successful, also ask them if they would welcome another application. If they are considering you then politely find out what their timescale is for interviews and letting people know if they have been successful after interview. They will not bite and as far as I am aware they are human and will not bite your head off for asking genuine questions as a follow up. (Having said that I do know one recruiter who might do that on a bad day - SO ALWAYS BE POLITE AND MATURE! - after all, you are now moving in a grown up world now.)

Asking questions like that in forums like this, which are read by recruiters, especially using your real name may give recruiters a bad impression of you. So think before you type.

Oh, and your signature is WAY too big in my opinion! - Is that how you dance?

Regards

Ian

Comment

OK guys,

I am starting to get lots of emails in from recruiters - so head on over to the thread and see what is still on offer for both January and September next year. Loads of possibilities still out there, even for January.

Regards

Ian

Comment

I'm sure that any recruiters readings Abdul's posts on here will give him 100% for enthusiasm
              io parlo morse

Comment

Originally posted by endure View Post
                I'm sure that any recruiters readings Abdul's posts on here will give him 100% for enthusiasm

Awww You!
                ~Con Affetto
                ~Abdul R. Rafiq

~It's your dream! If you want it to happen, Get your butt up and make it happen. If you want it to happen, Rise and Grind.
                ~

Comment

A quick update.

7 companies have now responded to my request for updated information regarding recruitment next year so I have updated the table HERE.

9 companies have yet to send us any information about their recruitment plans for next year - some of them never did last year either. As soon as any more do I will let you all know.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

Comment

Another update:

Anglo Eastern have 7 spaces for September 2015.

James Fisher have 4 spaces for deck or engine for January still, and then will be recruiting in January for the September intake where they are looking for 5 or 6 deck or engine cadets.

Get a move on!

Ian
                    Last edited by Hatchorder; 3rd October 2014, 12:30 AM. Reason: A whole year out!

Comment

Another update:

Anglo Eastern have 7 spaces for September 2014.

James Fisher have 4 spaces for deck or engine for January still, and then will be recruiting in January for the September intake where they are looking for 5 or 6 deck or engine cadets.

Get a move on!

Ian
                      "September 2014 " ? I have already applied and my application is on the system for September 2015
                      ~Con Affetto
                      ~Abdul R. Rafiq

~

Comment

Originally posted by AbdulRafiq_14 View Post
                        "September 2014 " ? I have already applied and my application is on the system for September 2015
                        Given that it's October I would make an educated guess that it's a typo :-)
                        “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
                        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                          Given that it's October I would make an educated guess that it's a typo :-)

Lol I know I just have a habit of correcting people by pointing out the obvious , should have seen my classes in high school!
                          ~Con Affetto
                          ~Abdul R. Rafiq

~

Comment

Only 7 Anglo next year? Interesting, there's 7 of us on my corridor block of 10 rooms.....and thats just a drop in the ocean (pun intended)
                            Anglo-Eastern Cadet sponsored by DAO Shipping. I also like steam engines.

Comment

There are still places for a January 2015 start!

I have received an update email from SSTG which is good news for those still looking for a January start:

"We are still looking for 19 Deck, 10 Engineer and two ETO trainees for start Jan. 2015." Companies that are looking to sponsor are:

CMA-CGM
                              Evergreen Marine
                              P&O ferries
                              North Star Shipping
                              Pacc- Ships UK

So, if you are still looking for a sponsorship then click on the following link http://www.sstg.org/cms/show/apply-now-for-merchant-navy-training-and-careers-sstg-careers-at-sea/online-application-form
                              and get filling in the application form. There are definitely spaces still out there that need filling, so you have no excuse to be here on the forum in January saying you did not get a sponsorship unless you are a complete numpty and completely screwed up the application process, ballsed up your interview process, or just do not have good enough grades to be considered in which case get yourself off to do a pre-cadetship.

No! I will not help you fill the form in!

*shuffles off muttering*

"Bloody youth of today - want it all on a plate!"

*sigh*

Comment

Thanks to Hatchorder

There are still places for a January 2015 start!

I have received an update email from SSTG which is good news for those still looking for a January start:

"We are still looking for 19 Deck, 10 Engineer and two ETO trainees for start Jan. 2015." Companies that are looking to sponsor are:

CMA-CGM
                                Evergreen Marine
                                P&O ferries
                                North Star Shipping
                                Pacc- Ships UK

So, if you are still looking for a sponsorship then click on the following link http://www.sstg.org/cms/show/apply-now-for-merchant-navy-training-and-careers-sstg-careers-at-sea/online-application-form
                                and get filling in the application form. There are definitely spaces still out there that need filling, so you have no excuse to be here on the forum in January saying you did not get a sponsorship unless you are a complete numpty and completely screwed up the application process, ballsed up your interview process, or just do not have good enough grades to be considered in which case get yourself off to do a pre-cadetship.

No! I will not help you fill the form in!

*shuffles off muttering*

"Bloody youth of today - want it all on a plate!"

*sigh*
                                Can't tell you how helpful this is! Thank you, and please keep the updates coming. I'm applying for Sept '15 so plenty of time for me but my son is hoping to get in somewhere for Jan. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                X