Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is still recruiting - Comments thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An update from Carnival UK:

Now personally I think they are just showing off here.... Whilst some companies are still trying to recruit for September Carnival have contacted me to say that their portal is open for applications for the January intake!

The message is:

"We currently have live vacancies for Deck, Engine and ETO cadets for January 2018. We are specifically looking for ETO's but we do have vacancies for all 3 branches"

So if you want to work with cargo that moans.....

https://www.jobtrain.co.uk/carnival/vacancies.aspx?chkCategory=23&txtKeywords=&optMatc h=Any&__utma=78680710.1190046857.1500386917.150332 0460.1503482184.5&__utmb=78680710.6.10.1503482184& __utmc=78680710&__utmx=-&__utmz=78680710.1503482184.5.4.utmcsr=google|utmc cn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided )&__utmv=-&__utmk=173985573

Note. The closing date for applications is Friday 15th September 2017 - so you only have a few weeks to get your **** together!

*Hmmmmmmm. I never had smart funding in my day, Cruise ships are the only ones I never served on, I know I can do it, I wonder what their maximum recruiting age is????*

After my comments above - I doubt I'd even get an interview. Also I am far too ugly to work with passengers!

Good Luck everyone.

Ian

"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.

"Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

• I'm still getting targeted ads on Facebook from Clyde, they're still recruiting ETO's starting next week! May be of interest to somebody!

(and there was me many months ago thinking I'd done really well to get a cadetship )

Comment

• An update from Anglo Eastern:

"Anglo Eastern still have a few spaces left on the Foundation Degree Deck/Engine and ETO courses at Fleetwood commencing 25TH September 2017 with Subsea7 and Foreland Shipping.
        Please forward your cv to ukcadet@angloeastern.com and apply now."

Good Luck everyone.

Ian
        "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.

"Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
          An update from Anglo Eastern:

"Anglo Eastern still have a few spaces left on the Foundation Degree Deck/Engine and ETO courses at Fleetwood commencing 25TH September 2017 with Subsea7 and Foreland Shipping.
          Please forward your cv to ukcadet@angloeastern.com and apply now."

Good Luck everyone.

Ian
          What is wrong with those guys in Anglo? They are a great company ( my son is with them), salary 600, paying accommodation on top, good sponsors with a very good chance of employment. Yet they can not recruit on time, EVERY YEAR !! Bad website, too slow to respond, shame really!!

Comment

• Foreland and Subsea 7 are very good companies apparently

Comment

• Originally posted by Notsofast View Post
              What is wrong with those guys in Anglo? They are a great company ( my son is with them), salary 600, paying accommodation on top, good sponsors with a very good chance of employment. Yet they can not recruit on time, EVERY YEAR !! Bad website, too slow to respond, shame really!!
              Woah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I have already explained that ALL of the companies have a shortage of applications and cadets this year. In past years I have NEVER had Maersk contact me to stay they still have vacancies but this year they have. That is unheard of.

To be honest I do not believe that this is the "fault" of Anglo Eastern. I hold them in very high regard and I believe that they are extremely good at their recruitment, training and retention. We have always had the issue of sea blindness in this country and my attendance at schools and colleges is testament to that. There is also the issue that many applicants are rejected even at the application stage. Some years Maersk has had well over 1000 applicants and yet have only offered interviews to about 150 and then recruited only 50.

As you can see from my above posts Anglo Eastern, SSTG, Conway Trust, Clyde Marine and even Maersk have been late recruiting. Even now the colleges are pushing back the start dates for some courses to the end of September.

So personally I think that a combination of low numbers of applications and low quality of applications has meant many recruiters are still struggling to make their September numbers.

Ian.

Comment

• The universities are virtually taking anyone with 5 GCSE. They need to fill their classes as they need students money. Could this be part of the reason for low numbers? The Armed Forces and the Prison Service are also currently struggling to recruit. It also maybe a dip in the birth rate of 18 year olds. I know the Primary School my two went to dropped from 3 classes to 2 in the year 3 years between them.

Comment

• Lack of junior jobs maybe also a factor. When students look at careers they look to see what the career offers they look for jobs to see what they pay conditions etc. If you do a search for junior officer jobs what comes up? Anyone out there advertising a need for them?
                  Nope. Airlines now having to pay extremely well, and some are now back training after a long absence from doing so.
                  In many ways it's similar, involves travel, navigation a technical ability and understanding. But it has a much more attractive face. Captains pay £ high 80k and above. You are not away from home for months at a time either, you can also gain a degree at the same time if that is what attracts some.
                  More people have heard of an airline pilot, than they have of an officer in the merchant navy, some don't know what the merchant navy is and think it's the RN, and that's even living where I do surrounded by sea where reliance on seafarers and shipping is a day to day factor for our existence! A few bad storms and the shop shelves are empty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midge View Post
                    Lack of junior jobs maybe also a factor. When students look at careers they look to see what the career offers they look for jobs to see what they pay conditions etc. If you do a search for junior officer jobs what comes up? Anyone out there advertising a need for them? Nope.
                    Very valid point in my opinion. I'm only just about to embark on my cadetship and despite researching as much as I can for the past 6 months, to say I'm extremely worried about job prospects at the end of my cadetship would be an understatement. The general consensus everywhere I look is that there are no jobs for junior British officers with no prior experience, unless you're one of those lucky enough to be offered a job by your sponsor company post cadetship. As I'm with MEF, there's zero chance of that, so it's a really worrying prospect that I'm trying to put to the back of my mind but...

Nope. Airlines now having to pay extremely well, and some are now back training after a long absence from doing so.
                    In many ways it's similar, involves travel, navigation a technical ability and understanding. But it has a much more attractive face. Captains pay £ high 80k and above. You are not away from home for months at a time either, you can also gain a degree at the same time if that is what attracts some.

I have to slightly disagree. I've worked in aviation for the last 7 years with a lot of guys and girls who are fully qualified pilots with an fATPL, many of whom can't find a job anywhere without taking the risk of paying £30k for a type rating and going with the likes of Ryanair or Easyjet. This is in addition to the £100k+ debt they have. A few colleagues and friends of mine with fATPL's have had to give up the dream as they can't afford the re-currents, and now have over £100k of debt to pay back.

However, I do agree that a career as a pilot is much better known than the merchant navy. 9 months ago I had absolutely no idea what an office was in the merchant navy, despite probably being higher up the geek scale than most with a passing interest in most stuff transport! Even when I started researching the role, it was really quite confusing in my opinion.

Comment

• Oh yes it has been hard in the airline industry for quite a few years, though some airlines are now back training again which they had completely stopped doing at one point, but this is about perception really.
                      the airline pilots have seen higher pay increases than almost any others recently.
                      The other half has lots of connections in the airline industry, and many friends who are pilots for airlines, and we know others who are just getting first jobs. Yes it is damn expensive! For us here who pay for uni fees and full cost and have no student loan facility it's not much more than we pay already. Sadly!
                      What people do when they research and look and what they find is much more likely to be a factor if they have no personal contacts in the industry to advise them otherwise.
                      If this smartplus ever comes to fruition then you should be able to gain experience post qualification. Who knows what the job situation will be like when you have completed your course. A few years ago before mine started now qualified it was much better than it is now, things change.

Comment

• An update from SSTG:

A quick email from SSTG at the end of last week tells me they still have:

• 6 Foundation Degree spaces for Deck Officers attending South Tyneside starting on the the 18th or 25th September.

• 6 Foundation Degree or HND spaces for Engineers attending South Tyneside starting on the the 18th or 25th September or Warsash on 18th September.

Now you may think that that is all a bit close and impossible to do, and we have shown it is not the case when a few years ago Snowy applied on a Wednesday, had an interview on the Friday, got his offer through the same day and was at college on the Sunday.....

That record has been broken in terms off application to offer and contract signed!

SSTG interviewed a guy on a Monday @ 14.00hrs, an offer was made and accepted on the Tuesday morning. The college was booked and the ENG arranged by Tuesday 15.00hrs and the cadet had the Medical the following morning and started college on the 11th September!

So - spaces still left......Good Luck everyone.

Ian

Comment

• An update from Anglo Eastern:

A copy of an advert that has appeared in the press:

Merchant34x8-page-001.jpg

Regards,

Ian

Comment

• How wonderful,

A couple of days ago I got an email from a young lady who tells me she was talking to a new cadet and they both realised that they had been to the "Hatchorder School of Recruitment". They then found another person who started at college as well who said - "Me too!".

This morning they sent me a lovely email with a photograph of the three of them together at college, despite the fact they have been busy trying to get their heads around stability lessons.

Thanks guys - I really appreciate hearing how people are doing and it is funny how they all found one another within the first week of college. I hope they all get out of it what they thought they would, and love their new career.

*Chuffed!*

Ian

Comment

• An update about Recruitment for January 2018 and September 2018

Hi everyone,

I have sent an email out to every recruiter last week. I have updated the Who is still recruiting thread.

So far I have heard back from 8, and the interesting thing so far is that there are a lot of places for both January and September.

The other interesting fact is that those that have reported so far have revealed that there were the following unfilled vacancies for September 2017:

• Deck - 4
                              • Engineer - 8
                              • ETO - 6
                              • Unspecified - 22

That is 40 vacancies not filled........... Most I have ever known, and to be honest some of the spaces were only filled at the last minute.

So, lots to aim at this year, so get a move on you lot!

Good luck.

Ian.

Comment

• An update from BP and Shell

The big 2 oil majors have replied today.

BP are recruiting for September 2018 and January 2019 but their portal does not open until 1st November so please do not apply now.

Shell have not confirmed their numbers for January 2018 yet, but watch this space......

Good luck everyone.

Ian.

Comment

Working...
                                X