Anglo-Eastern Interview!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anglo-Eastern Interview!

In a slightly different direction with this, I have an interview with Anglo-Eastern on the 19th May and I will be flying to Glasgow, so, can anyone tell me the easiest way to get to their office from the airport? Thanks!

Keiran
    Anglo-Eastern Cadet sponsored by DAO Shipping. I also like steam engines.

Originally posted by KeiranNewberry View Post
    In a slightly different direction with this, I have an interview with Anglo-Eastern on the 19th May and I will be flying to Glasgow, so, can anyone tell me the easiest way to get to their office from the airport? Thanks!

Keiran
    Assuming your flying to Glasgow and not Glasgow Prestwick?

Option 1: Taxi

Option 2: There's no train station at Glasgow Airport, there is a bus service from outside arrivals to Paisley Gilmour Street, get a train from there to Glasgow Central. You can then either walk down to and along the river (15-20 mins depending how fast you walk), or get another train from Glasgow Central to Exhibition Centre (about 5 mins) and walk from there.

You can book the tickets on thetrainline.com from Glasgow Airport to Exhibition Centre and it will include the bus transfer.

Your looking at around ?4 max return for the train/bus... Taxi will be ?10-?20 each way.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Sound advice, however, I would recommend buying the tickets from the scot-rail website as thetrainline.com charges a ?1 booking fee.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
        Assuming your flying to Glasgow and not Glasgow Prestwick?

Option 1: Taxi

Option 2: There's no train station at Glasgow Airport, there is a bus service from outside arrivals to Paisley Gilmour Street, get a train from there to Glasgow Central. You can then either walk down to and along the river (15-20 mins depending how fast you walk), or get another train from Glasgow Central to Exhibition Centre (about 5 mins) and walk from there.

You can book the tickets on thetrainline.com from Glasgow Airport to Exhibition Centre and it will include the bus transfer.

Your looking at around ?4 max return for the train/bus... Taxi will be ?10-?20 each way.
        Thanks Alistair, much appreciated. What's the best way then to get from there to Clyde? And subsequently back to the airport? They've given me an interview that day too (and yes you're right I'm flying to Glasgow International)

Keiran

Comment

Clyde have partially relocated their offices last year.

Where is your interview?

If your interview is at the old offices; You can walk, I reckon about 20 - 30 minutes, walk towards the SECC, cross the river, go past the BBC Scotland studios and turn left down whatever the road is called where Clyde's offices are. (If its sunny its quite a nice walk, specially if you have time to spare). Alternatively I'd get a taxi or maybe the underground goes near there. Best to ask GuinessMan as I just drive when I goto Glasgow.

If your interview is at the new offices (in Hillington); You won't be able to walk, it's too far - you'd die (or get stabbed)... I'd suggest a taxi or you can get a train, it's presumably on the Paisley line (same as the airport) but I'm guessing you'd have to return to Central Station to get the train after your interview with Anglo-Eastern. Theres a map here; http://www.clydemarinetraining.com/s...0Glasgow_0.pdf (If you haven't seen it).
          Last edited by alistairuk; 2 May 2014, 02:47 PM. Reason: correcting the worst of my grammar mistakes
          ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
          myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

It's worth baring in mind that the interview with Anglo-eastern can take upwards of three hours - most of which will be spent waiting for the other candidates to finish. You should be given a chance at the end of the initial "presentation" to ask to go first. Or you could do what I did and rig a game of rock-paper-scissors. The interview itself will last about 45 minutes.

If I remember correctly AE will also reimburse travel costs to the interview if you're successful.

Good luck!
            Pointy bit is the front, blunt bit is the back... Simples!

Will work for money/sea time.

Comment

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post
              rig a game of rock-paper-scissors.
              Rigged?! Clearly lost and then legged it more like, while the true winner was left behind looking confused!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

How to win at rock-paper-scissors http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27228416

This might help you next time...

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ahh, but how do you know it wasn't my intention to go last? I'm never without a plan...

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
                    Clyde have partially relocated their offices last year.

Where is your interview?

If your interview is at the old offices; You can walk, I reckon about 20 - 30 minutes, walk towards the SECC, cross the river, go past the BBC Scotland studios and turn left down whatever the road is called where Clyde's offices are. (If its sunny its quite a nice walk, specially if you have time to spare). Alternatively I'd get a taxi or maybe the underground goes near there. Best to ask GuinessMan as I just drive when I goto Glasgow.

If your interview is at the new offices (in Hillington); You won't be able to walk, it's too far - you'd die (or get stabbed)... I'd suggest a taxi or you can get a train, it's presumably on the Paisley line (same as the airport) but I'm guessing you'd have to return to Central Station to get the train after your interview with Anglo-Eastern. Theres a map here; http://www.clydemarinetraining.com/s...0Glasgow_0.pdf (If you haven't seen it).
                    You cant walk from the airport to Kinning Park! Either take a taxi (20 quid) or tge airport bus and then subway to Cessnock. However I do think theyve completely gone to Hillington as even Dr Paice isnt there anymore.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
                    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Thanks all - I had no intentions to walk, so no need to worry. I think I could be the only AE interviewee on that day, as I was offered an interview at my own convenience because of the travel involved. Their email said they don't reimburse interview travel costs

To those that asked, yes, my Clyde interview is in their new offices. I have (theoretically) plenty of time between as one is half 9 and the other is at 3.

thanks for the advice, I'll probably consult Travel Line.....

Keiran

Comment

I suppose I should also ask this:

Does anyone have any experience with AE? What are they like interview wise? And generally as a company to work for?

Regards,
                        Keiran

Comment

I had an interview with them sometime this year.

The interview starts with a presentation, which goes through some of the things that AE does, how much the pay etc. It'd take a pen and paper to take notes during the presentation - It'll show you're keen, and generally switched on. If you're really clever you can use the notes to ask questions at the very end of your interview.

Once the presentation has finished, you'll have your "one-to-one" interview. My interviewer was great - They made me feel at ease almost instantly, and the interview was that informal that I could have probably turned up in a hoodie. You'll be asked the standard interview questions (such as "Why do you want to go to sea?" and "What qualities do you have which will make you suitable for the role as an officer?"). There's also a few questions which you'll need to stop and think before you answer them, so be on the lookout for those.

The interviewer will ask to see your exam certificates and CV at the end of the presentation, so I suggest you take one of hatchorders patented "Good boy pockets" with you (Copies of your exam certificates and your CV, so you can simply hand them over... Nothing will annoy someone more than having to wait for you to run to the photocopier!).
                          At the end of the interviewer you get to shake hands, and ask any questions.

Some general interview advice, whilst I'm on the topic;
                          -Take notes.
                          -Take a bottle of water with you.
                          -If you're unsure about a question, ask for an explanation... I started waffling on about fuel oils during my interview, when the answer to the question was something completely different.
                          -Stop and think before you answer. Nobody likes verbal diarrhoea.
                          -Have a firm handshake, but not too firm. I nearly crushed one of interviewers hands at the start of the presentation. Oops.
                          -Have fun.

Its worth noting that you won't be employed by AE - your contract is with your sponsoring company. AE are simply an intermediary, and as such they won't take you on when you complete your cadetship... Although they'll try their hardest to get you a job, possibly with your sponsor.

Comment

Thanks - that last bit about the lack of certainty of a job is an issue - but I suppose that can be a question I can ask....

Comment

Originally posted by MrStealth View Post
                              I had an interview with them sometime this year.

The interview starts with a presentation, which goes through some of the things that AE does, how much the pay etc. It'd take a pen and paper to take notes during the presentation - It'll show you're keen, and generally switched on. If you're really clever you can use the notes to ask questions at the very end of your interview.

Once the presentation has finished, you'll have your "one-to-one" interview. My interviewer was great - They made me feel at ease almost instantly, and the interview was that informal that I could have probably turned up in a hoodie. You'll be asked the standard interview questions (such as "Why do you want to go to sea?" and "What qualities do you have which will make you suitable for the role as an officer?"). There's also a few questions which you'll need to stop and think before you answer them, so be on the lookout for those.

The interviewer will ask to see your exam certificates and CV at the end of the presentation, so I suggest you take one of hatchorders patented "Good boy pockets" with you (Copies of your exam certificates and your CV, so you can simply hand them over... Nothing will annoy someone more than having to wait for you to run to the photocopier!).
                              At the end of the interviewer you get to shake hands, and ask any questions.

Some general interview advice, whilst I'm on the topic;
                              -Take notes.
                              -Take a bottle of water with you.
                              -If you're unsure about a question, ask for an explanation... I started waffling on about fuel oils during my interview, when the answer to the question was something completely different.
                              -Stop and think before you answer. Nobody likes verbal diarrhoea.
                              -Have a firm handshake, but not too firm. I nearly crushed one of interviewers hands at the start of the presentation. Oops.
                              -Have fun.

Its worth noting that you won't be employed by AE - your contract is with your sponsoring company. AE are simply an intermediary, and as such they won't take you on when you complete your cadetship... Although they'll try their hardest to get you a job, possibly with your sponsor.

Which companies do AE partner Cadets with?

My interview is on the 21st and by your post its going to be very similar to my Maersk interview, presentation followed by one to one interview.

Comment

Working...
                              X