Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my age be a disadvantage

Hi, I have some questions.

1) I am currently doing my highers (Scottish equivalent of a levels) and will be 16 and a half when applying for the 2015 January intake. I heard from a current maersk cadet that they don not except anyone younger than 17. Is this true. What company's have taken engine Cadets who are 16 but about to turn 17. Will my young age be a disadvantage when applying so would you recommend me waiting until I'm 17/18. I also hope to apply to carnival uk, princess cruises, Viking recruitment, bp and shell. I would say carnival would be my first choice.
    Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Originally posted by robertpollock View Post

1) I am currently doing my highers (Scottish equivalent of a levels) and will be 16 and a half when applying for the 2015 January intake. I heard from a current maersk cadet that they don not except anyone younger than 17. Is this true. What company's have taken engine Cadets who are 16 but about to turn 17. Will my young age be a disadvantage when applying so would you recommend me waiting until I'm 17/18. I also hope to apply to carnival uk, princess cruises, Viking recruitment, bp and shell. I would say carnival would be my first choice.
    Your age won't be a factor, the miss understanding comes from the English system where most a-level candidates would be 18 at start. Under the Scottish system as your aware it's normal for you to have completed highers at 17 if not 16. I wouldn't worry about it, it won't disadvantage you.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairuk View Post
      Your age won't be a factor, the miss understanding comes from the English system where most a-level candidates would be 18 at start. Under the Scottish system as your aware it's normal for you to have completed highers at 17. I wouldn't worry about it, it won't disadvantage you.

Thank you Alistair, you cleared my head a little
      Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

I have another question.

im an aspiring engine cadet, I have a very slight colour deficiency, but I am able to the farnsworth d-15 test I am able to receive a full eng1 but a lookout restriction. The pitchard and Gordon Website said anyone colour blind are not accepted. I'm not colour blind, I have a slight colour deficiency. Will this company consider me or would it be a waste of time.

http://www.pgtankers.com/cadets.php

Comment

If you're not colour blind (or deficient) beyond the minimum acceptable standards, then there is no reason why not. If it were me, I'd be applying to everyone regardless.

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by Inland Pirate View Post
            If you're not colour blind (or deficient) beyond the minimum acceptable standards, then there is no reason why not. If it were me, I'd be applying to everyone regardless.

thankyou for information. I will be applying for every company carnival uk, princess, Viking recruitment, she'll, bp, maersk etc

Comment

Originally posted by robertpollock View Post

I'm a cadet with Carnival UK, when I went for my assessment day I was 16. I started my cadetship in January at the age of 17 so you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 7Kieran View Post
                I'm a cadet with Carnival UK, when I went for my assessment day I was 16. I started my cadetship in January at the age of 17 so you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

Thanks keiran, nice to no someone was in the same position as me

Comment

Hi Robert, you will find that some companies won't sponsor Cadets under the age of 18 (those that will be under 18 for their first sea phase). Some never have, others have become twitchy after the Maritime Labour Convention came into force in August 2013 - clearly defined the additional tasks required for 'young workers' - nothing new in what has to be done but it has caused some companies to look at it again.

There are even some Flag States (where vessels are registered) that have decided on a minimum age (either 17 or 18).

I'd ring round a few of your preferred sponsoring companies and check what their stance is.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie View Post
                    Hi Robert, you will find that some companies won't sponsor Cadets under the age of 18 (those that will be under 18 for their first sea phase). Some never have, others have become twitchy after the Maritime Labour Convention came into force in August 2013 - clearly defined the additional tasks required for 'young workers' - nothing new in what has to be done but it has caused some companies to look at it again.

There are even some Flag States (where vessels are registered) that have decided on a minimum age (either 17 or 18).

I'd ring round a few of your preferred sponsoring companies and check what their stance is.

Thanks, what company's odd you no that don't accept under 18s

Comment

There are 90+ possible sponsors, many of who change their entry criteria regularly. I'd recommend setting aside half an hour to call the training organisations and any of the companies that appeal to you to see if they have any such restrictions.

Comment

May I ask the company you are apart of

thanks

Comment

Maersk Group

Comment

my son is coming to the end of his first sea phase having been away for three months and he is still 16. He is with Maersk and i think he was the youngest on his intake. There are restrictions as to what you can do in terms of work time directives but he has been able to do most things. So your age wont be a problem.
                            Good luck !

Comment

Hanks MTQ great help.

your son sounds like he's living the life

Comment

Working...
                              X