Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had my Maersk Interview today (Newcastle)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had my Maersk Interview today (Newcastle)

I'm from South Shields, a town which has a college companies send Cadets to and was very much thinking if successful, that I'd be heading along there, much like my friends who went through their Cadetships last year and the year before.

The interviewer prompted me regarding which college would be my preffered option and I stated South Tyneside because it is local and the best option financially. However, the interviewer stated that she likes to keep her Cadets together and that this year she will most likely (basically suggested its a formality) be choosing to send her Cadets to Southampton.

I fully understand why she wants to send the Cadets away from home, in order to put them outside their comfort zone and prepare them for the sea phase. But being a mature candidate and University Graduate who has already lived away and proved I can survive on my own, I'm a bit peeved.

Whilst the salary of ?800~ a month is great, spending half if not more on rent a month seems like such a waste, when South Tyneside College is literally on my doorstep, a stones throw away.

Is this something she brought up in the interview just to gauge my reaction? Will this be very much said and done and this years Engine intake will be heading down to Southampton?

Originally posted by CWB View Post
    I'm from South Shields, a town which has a college companies send Cadets to and was very much thinking if successful, that I'd be heading along there, much like my friends who went through their Cadetships last year and the year before.

The interviewer prompted me regarding which college would be my preffered option and I stated South Tyneside because it is local and the best option financially. However, the interviewer stated that she likes to keep her Cadets together and that this year she will most likely (basically suggested its a formality) be choosing to send her Cadets to Southampton.

I fully understand why she wants to send the Cadets away from home, in order to put them outside their comfort zone and prepare them for the sea phase. But being a mature candidate and University Graduate who has already lived away and proved I can survive on my own, I'm a bit peeved.

Whilst the salary of ?800~ a month is great, spending half if not more on rent a month seems like such a waste, when South Tyneside College is literally on my doorstep, a stones throw away.

Is this something she brought up in the interview just to gauge my reaction? Will this be very much said and done and this years Engine intake will be heading down to Southampton?
    Some of the companies do prefer to keep their cadets together - some will even only use specific colleges for various reasons of their own. For example I was sent to Warsash despite living 20 minutes from Glasgow (Also previously a University Graduate). Out of all of us from the same company the closest person to Southampton was from Liverpool and 4 of us were between 22 - 30.

Unless you want to go for another company, you'll need to consider if this is truly a big problem for you. If it is, I would suggest it's worth considering if you've fully researched the career as having to go to a specific college is one of the smaller things you'll end up sacrificing for this career.
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I heard that Maersk aren't keen on sending Engine cadets to STC anymore.
      C

Comment

I went for my interview a few weeks back for Engine Cadet. When we discussed my college choices I was told Fleetwood may not be an option as it's not a popular choice and they would only allow cadets to go there if there was a large enough interest. I mentioned my second option which would be South Tyneside and that was fine. Southampton wasn't mentioned at all and I didn't get any impression that was anything wrong with my choice. I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Have any of you Maersk Engine folk heard which college yet?

Comment

Working...
          X