Clyde Marine Training Interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clyde Marine Training Interview

Hi there guys, I'm new to the forum so you may not have seen me around. A couple of weeks ago i received an email from CMT stating my application met their requirements and that i would receive an email regarding interview, surely enough i also received an email inviting me for an interview. Attached to the email was the invitation along with interview guidelines and also a booklet provided by Clyde Marine about various different types of ships, i have memorised the information leaflet and taken into consideration the guidelines. Is there any further words of advice anyone can offer before my interview? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have also memorised what you will find in the bridge of the ship(I am an aspiring Deck Officer Cadet).

Thank You
    D

I had mines in Glasgow earlier in the year, although was for deck, the interview seemed pretty straight forward off the top of my head I can remember being asked to name all the types and some speeds/crew from the book of boats. Why Engine over Deck/Electric. What qualifications the course will give you at the end. Previous Experience. How I would cope being away at sea. Where I would go if there was a fire alarm on the boat. I would just brush up on everything to do with boats, there's a lot of great threads on this site.

http://www.officercadet.com/showthre...rine+interview
    This helped me alot.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
      I had mines in Glasgow earlier in the year, although was for deck, the interview seemed pretty straight forward off the top of my head I can remember being asked to name all the types and some speeds/crew from the book of boats. Why Engine over Deck/Electric. What qualifications the course will give you at the end. Previous Experience. How I would cope being away at sea. Where I would go if there was a fire alarm on the boat. I would just brush up on everything to do with boats, there's a lot of great threads on this site.

http://www.officercadet.com/showthre...rine+interview
      This helped me alot.

Good luck
      Thank you for a prompt, helpful response, i feel as if i have prepared sufficiently for the interview thus far, i have all my travel to the interview sorted, my clothes etc and most importantly i have memorized that little ship booklet.

I feel that i would rather be part of the Deck crew rather than engine because i have a fascination with technology and have since a young age, thus i feel that i would best suit the deck side of things as it would present me with the chance to use new technology(to me) to help aid things like navigation.

What did you mean by previous experience (please, excuse my stupidity), i'm assuming you mean work experience?

Again, thank you for a helpful response
      D

Comment

No bother
        They asked me my previous experience in work, groups/societies outside school (BB, Scouts, Sea Cadets) and if I had been on boats before.

Comment

2 Days to go now... Brushed up on all the ships in the booklet given, so everything to do with that is ok, i also have examples of previous experience in work/groups, I've been on boats before but nothing bigger than a glass-bottom (I've been on around 5 boats and don't get sea sick. Any last minute tips?

D

Comment

Originally posted by Redrum View Post
            ......I've been on around 5 boats and don't get sea sick. Any last minute tips?

D
            Yes! Boats live on ponds - at sea we sail on ships! The movement on ships and even boats varies massively. I was never sea sick on ships, with one exception, but stick me in a 16ft Dorey to go sea fishing in a force 5 and by the time I have tied two hooks and cut some squid I am making huge offerings to King Neptune. Use to get ragged rotten for it by anyone I went fishing with.

I have sent you a PM.

Good Luck,

Ian
            "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
            "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchorder View Post
              Yes! Boats live on ponds - at sea we sail on ships! The movement on ships and even boats varies massively. I was never sea sick on ships, with one exception, but stick me in a 16ft Dorey to go sea fishing in a force 5 and by the time I have tied two hooks and cut some squid I am making huge offerings to King Neptune. Use to get ragged rotten for it by anyone I went fishing with.

I have sent you a PM.

Good Luck,

Ian
              About 5 minutes after posting that, my grandfather explained that exactly to me haha typical, very useful information by the way , thank you.

D

Comment

Is it Glasgow your interview is in?

Only other things I can think of is, make sure your are ready and relaxed when waiting for the interview I was waiting and wasn't relaxed at all and had a dry mouth so when the interviewer came out I could hardly speak clearly myself and had a poor handshake.

Watch the news before hand I was asked about current news stories also try mention a shipping one aswell to show you have a interest.

Once you get into the interview get comfortable because you will be there for a while, sit up straight, eye contact, speak clear and use hand gestures while talking will make the interview go a lot easier as it made me feel less nervous and more chatty to the interviewer.

When they ask you if you have any questions ask a few that relate to your situation.

I was asked if I read books, and said yes then I was asked what books I read and their authors.

If they ask weaknesses, be honest but be sure to counter it with what you will do to improve it. For example "I would say my weakness is maths, but prior to college I plan to improve my skills so when I go to college I will have time to study other aspects of the course"

That's all I can think of really, I received my conditional offer just over a month after the interview and just under a week after a letter saying I was being kept on file until they had more information from the sponsor companies so don't worry to much if you get that because if they didn't want you they would tell you rather than saying you were being kept on file.

I'm sure it will all go well anyway
                Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel View Post
                  Is it Glasgow your interview is in?

Only other things I can think of is, make sure your are ready and relaxed when waiting for the interview I was waiting and wasn't relaxed at all and had a dry mouth so when the interviewer came out I could hardly speak clearly myself and had a poor handshake.

Watch the news before hand I was asked about current news stories also try mention a shipping one aswell to show you have a interest.

Once you get into the interview get comfortable because you will be there for a while, sit up straight, eye contact, speak clear and use hand gestures while talking will make the interview go a lot easier as it made me feel less nervous and more chatty to the interviewer.

When they ask you if you have any questions ask a few that relate to your situation.

I was asked if I read books, and said yes then I was asked what books I read and their authors.

If they ask weaknesses, be honest but be sure to counter it with what you will do to improve it. For example "I would say my weakness is maths, but prior to college I plan to improve my skills so when I go to college I will have time to study other aspects of the course"

That's all I can think of really, I received my conditional offer just over a month after the interview and just under a week after a letter saying I was being kept on file until they had more information from the sponsor companies so don't worry to much if you get that because if they didn't want you they would tell you rather than saying you were being kept on file.

I'm sure it will all go well anyway
                  Good Luck!
                  Travelling from South Wales, my interview is in Bristol.

I also too read and would love to say what authors.

Unfortunately that is the question i struggle most with as i feel like if i say a negative but turn it into a positive, is it really a weakness?

Thank you, really hope it does!
                  D

Comment

Yeah suppose but if you are asked saying something along the lines of that should get you the points. I think saying a weakness is better than saying I have none, shows more honesty and they don't really dig to deep they must of heard it hundreds of times from other candidates they are just looking at your character. Another thing you could say is getting used to being at college as you will have to move from Wales you could say at first your weakness could be moving to England and being away from home but I wouldn't emphasize it too much incase they think you wont be able to handle it just say it will take a few weeks to get used too but it will help you do better at college as you will keep yourself busy with work.

Comment

Working...
                    X