What if I dont get a cadetship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if I dont get a cadetship?

Hi, currently at college studying engineering, as i couldnt get a cadetship as a school leaver:/ coming upto my second year I need to start looking at applying for companies and now im thinking, what can I do if I dont get one? I was thinking uni is really the only alternate? But I have heard a mixed bag about uni so I just wanted to see what everyone on here thinks, so what would be the best route to take if I don't get a cadetship?

Well, I would not start off being so negative. Why do you think you would not get a cadetship?
    If you are committed to a career at sea, don't automatically jump into a three year degree you don't feel passionate about. If you don't get the cadetship this time, then perhaps spend a year doing things that will improve your chances next time, do some volunteer work for the RNLI, travel, do a couple of trips on the JST etc. (assuming you have not done these already).
    Other options include the RN or a vocational qualification in engineering.
    If your applying now you are in the same 'boat' as lots of other people. You need to make your application stand out, so think long and hard about your CV and covering letter and don't be shy to ask people to help you out, I am always happy to take a look at that type of thing before you apply as are other forum members.
    It's a challenging career, so be prepared to have some challenges even from your first step!
    Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

You do need to be positive about it and try the hardest to make applications stand out etc good results from college etc will help. After that if you don't get one this time you can either spend a year looking for volunteering etc to make you look better or change your track. Uni in engineering and then a short fast track course to come into the MN is an option. it depends on what you can afford a year bumming about looks well on the CV but doesn't pay great. not that uni is cheap.
      you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

Originally posted by Herbatronical View Post
        Hi, currently at college studying engineering, as i couldnt get a cadetship as a school leaver:/ coming upto my second year I need to start looking at applying for companies and now im thinking, what can I do if I dont get one? I was thinking uni is really the only alternate? But I have heard a mixed bag about uni so I just wanted to see what everyone on here thinks, so what would be the best route to take if I don't get a cadetship?
        I completely agree with the guys above, a positive attitude is key, as you will need to be able to sell yourself on an application form and in an interview -not just academically but you as a person as well. If you're achieving above a Merit at college and you have above a B in GCSE mathematics, there is no reason at all why you won't get a cadetship. Bear in mind that fewer people apply for engineering than deck, so arguably there is less competition - however I have heard that maths in more crucial.
        Join the Warsash Maritime Academy September 2014 Facebook Group : https://www.facebook.com/groups/WarsashCadetsSept2014

Comment

I have just accepted a cadetship with SSTG and Boston Putford. My backup plan was to do this course: http://www.stc.ac.uk/content/school-...tical-pathways

Comment

If the cadetship doesn't work out for some reason, you could always do an apprenticeship instead of a uni course - some will get you a degree if you're good, and they pay while you learn!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X