Role of a Deck Cadet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Role of a Deck Cadet

Hi, I want to know I good description for the role of a deck cadet. I have an interview with CMT soon and I want to prepare a good answer to this question they will most likely ask me.

Thanks any help appreciated
    Andrew

Originally posted by andrewM View Post
    Hi, I want to know I good description for the role of a deck cadet. I have an interview with CMT soon and I want to prepare a good answer to this question they will most likely ask me.

Thanks any help appreciated
    Andrew
    Make's the Captain's coffee?

Anywho, deck cadet. Learning how to do the work of the junior officers on board which is: -

1) Maintain a safe navigational watch (no crashing or running aground)
    2) Assist in the cosmetic maintenance of the deck (e.g. Chipping and Painting)
    3) Maintain all the LSA and FFA equipment
    4) 2nd Officers are the navigator, so planning voyage routes
    5) 2nd Officers are also the Medical Officers too (except on Passie boats, so expect to either be or be treated by Nurse Yuri)

I'm sure there's more...
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan View Post

5) 2nd Officers are also the Medical Officers too (except on Passie boats, so expect to either be or be treated by Nurse Yuri)
      Not necessarily, the Captain is the medical officer on our ship.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

As a 1st trip cadet learning ship matainance such as chipping, painting, washing, mopping, sweeping etc. Expect to be on day work on your first trip for at least the first 2 to 3 months, all the previous come under day work. Also expect to learn the basics of mooring procedures when entering/leaving port, first month or two you may just observe, after this you may play a part such as handling ropes. The whole point of the 1st trip is to aclimatise you to ship life and working.

2nd trip expect the same as above but with more bridge time (usually the night watch) possibly acting as an additional lookout and grasping the basics of navigation such as plotting positions etc and acting as a helmsman. 3rd trip you may (depending on company) be on the bridge both watches, this phase should be more understudying the OOW. Helping with chart corrections, taking gyro errors, possibly the OOW giving you the conn under supervision for a short period of time to hone you're skills and practise you're COLREGs. In addition to the former you may also assist the 3rd mate with his additional duties such as checking LSA (fire extingushers, life-rafts etc).

The main role of a deck cadet is as a learner, from the bottom up. To build on skills and experience to one day make you a competent officer. A Chief Mate once told me 'When you are a Chief Mate don't give people jobs that you don't know how to do/wouldn't do yourself', as a deck cadet this is a valuable bit of advice to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
          Not necessarily, the Captain is the medical officer on our ship.
          Ah right. On the ones I was on, it was always the 2nd Officer. I used to be extra careful as the last thing I wanted was to submit to the medical attention of the hairy arsed 2nd mate, particularly as all his MFA knowledge was massively out of date...
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Thanks a lot to all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X