X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dawg
    replied
    Re: CMA CGM Interview

Yeah... the RFA is a more interesting-sounding one for the most part; but the downside is that you reportedly spend 70% of the time in a British port doing repairs and things; and have to deal with the inflexible bureaucracy of the MoD.

Leave a comment:

• kayak
    replied

Woops sorry what I wrote didn't sound right, I mean say thanks but no thanks to CMA CGM, when the RFA offer letter comes through...

And its not because of the money! Its because the job is just so much more awesome
    CMA wouldn't be bad though

Leave a comment:

• dawg
    replied

It's probably because the RFA process is preposterously long-winded and not in the same sort cycle as all the commercial companies. They let you do the interview any random time they get free; and then you start in the first available college cycle - except that you have to do 7 weeks playing sailor 2 months before you actually start college. It makes sense to have an insurance place. You could start college in September; drop out and start again with the RFA on more money; as if you do pass your AIB, it lasts for three years; which gives you options...

Leave a comment:

• CharlieDelta
    replied

Don't mind me being nosy, but why CMA CGM over RFA? I know it's FdSc vs BSc but think of the money!

Leave a comment:

• kayak
    replied

Good luck! If all goes to plan I should be saying thanks but no thanks when my RFA provisional offer comes through...

When I spoke to them before I thought they said they send you to the isle of man for the interview? But obviously not!

Leave a comment:

• Beef1992
    replied

well done mate . i have a clam line one tommorow hope all goes well

Leave a comment:

• kayak
    started a topic CMA CGM Interview

CMA CGM Interview

Just thought I'd provide details about this, if someone wants to stick it on the wiki.

Just returned from it. The interview was at the companies UK offices at King Edward Street in London. If you've been a victim of the credit crunch, then bring a large blunt object as the place is swarming with bankers!

They're on the 6th floor, the secretaries will get you to sign in (They're clueless, one asked me what the job was for, so I replied that it was for a cadetship to train to become officers on the ships. She says 'Oh is that like a superintendent?')

Waited in a small meeting room with the 4 other people being interviewed. 3 of them were applying for engineer at warsash whereas me and one other guy were for deck at plymouth. After a short introduction from 2 fellas (Not the Volker Heil that sstg said we would have), they started interviewing us one by one for 15-20 minutes in order of how far they had to go. I was closest so had to wait about an hour and a half or so, in the mean time Volker did come out and say hi.

In the actual interview they asked: (Not in these exact words)
    - Why CMA CGM?
    - What do you know about CMA CGM?
    - Why going to sea in general?
    - Why cargo/had you thought about the more cruisey/passenger types?
    - What are your qualities?
    - What are your weak points?
    - How would you deal with an issue with someone?
    - Have you thought about the Royal Navy? (I thought this was strange, but I did answer that I had and then the conversation led into why the merchant navy instead)
    - There are 4 other people here today, why are you better than them?
    - Any questions?

Thats all I can remember.

Feedback was very quick, I hadn't even got out of london yet when I found I had an email from Steve at SSTG (CMA CGM deal with their cadets through SSTG) saying that the interview was successful and they want me.

Any Q's, then ask.
Working...
X