Life Onboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Onboard

Well, we've gone over the issues that older cadets may face, but I'm curious about life on board.

I'm sure we're all aware that there's a very rigid hierarchy on merhcant vessels, for good reason. What I'm wondering about is exactly how disciplined things are - should we expect a lot of "Yes Sir, No Sir, Aye aye Cap'n" etc etc... What are officer/cadet/rating relationships like?

sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Re: Life Onboard

Basically;

Master - always refer to as captain! or sir!
    1st Officer / Safety Officer - sir or "1st" or "safety"
    2nd Officers, etc. - sir or "2nd" or by name if they have said call them by name (most will)

Most in my experience (other than captains) will tell you just to call them by name - but if in doubt (or if your mind goes blank at 5.30am position or sir is always safe)
    ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

Working...
    X