Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances of being put in a different College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of being put in a different College?

So I live in Glasgow so you would think I would go to Glasgow College, but just wondering what's the chances of me being sent like to fleetwood for example?

Depends on company, but pretty high!! I can get the bus to Glasgow college from my house in 15 mins, and yet find my self in South Shields :P The theory behind it being if you find out your home sick in the UK, it's not as big a deal as if you live at home with your parents through college, and then fly to Australia and decided you miss home

Comment

Yeah I know what they try and teach you like to live independently, I already do, I wouldn't mind staying down south or elsewhere but I'd quite like to keep the ?100 a week lol. Mind you I'm 16 so I might qualify for housing benefit?

Comment

Housing benefit? I doubt it, you'll be paid a training allowance during your cadetship which is to be used for rent
        'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

16-60, You get your wages, you pay your halls and you can save the rest of it or blow it, only difference from being 16-18 is you'll have a curfew at the halls :P

Comment

Seriously Lol?? Any idea of when curfew is lol?

Comment

In South Shields I think it was 11pm through the week and midnight at the weekends, everyone has to sign in at security and if you don't they come to your room, and if you aren't in.... They tell your company Don't know how other colleges work.

Comment

Say I get into Glasgow am I allowed to go home at weekends do I just need to let security know etc?

Comment

Yeah, as far as I know you just let security know you'll be away and that's fine. I do know someone who got sacked because they said they were going home each weekend and were actually staying with a "friend".........

Comment

Haha! Would benefit me if I got into Glasgow for that reason then but I like travelling so I'm not too bothered! Cheers for all the answers lol!

Comment

Who are your sponsoring company? Maersk don't use Glasgow, not sure if others are the same. From what I've heard..... it wont benefit you :P

Comment

Don't know what the situation is at Glasgow just now actually. The self catered halls where they used to put all the under 18s recently got demolished so not sure where they are putting those guys now or if curfews are still being enforced. The other accommodation they have are self catered flats over the road where no curfews are enforced (nor would they be able to if they wanted due to the set up of the building). To be honest if you went there now they might well prefer to have you staying at home due to the refurbishment and lack of rooms.

Comment

Still waiting to go for my interview but I'm confident! Hopefully not jumping the gun a bit by looking into all this already, but maersk were the company I was most looking into!! Although in my current job customer service is 99% of it so was gonna put down one cruise company but not sure whether too or not as their looked down on

Comment

SHHHHHHHHHH Don't say they are looked down on, you'll start a war on here :P You might not get the same level of experience :P Well Maersk don't use Glasgow, so that's your question answered :P

Comment

Haha! To be honest I like them, although pay not might be as high it has its benefits compared to cargo etc :P Are the cabins on cruise ships for deck cadets really the royal navy type bunk-bed cupboard things?

Comment

Working...
                              X