Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances of getting a cadetship with a 1st degree already?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of getting a cadetship with a 1st degree already?

Hey I'm Emily,
    Just wondered how likely is it for me to get on a cadet scheme with me having a degree already? totally unrelated but I didn't know what I wanted to do so just took a degree. I'm certain now on where i want to be and that is on the sea! I did want to do this originally when I left school but a tutor at Fleetwood Nautical college told me to go away and "grow up, get some life experience". so I did. Ended up doing a rubbish college course and a rubbish degree in subjects I definitely do not like!

TIA for any advice
    H. Jackson Brown Jr. -- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Hi Emily and welcome!!

Plenty of cadets have degrees already. I know Carnival in particular have taken on a lot of cadets with degrees, but also the likes of Maersk, BP, etc...

Main thing to bear in mind is that you will need to be sure that you can live on the sponsorship money, since student finance won't be available.

Any particular companies you're interested in?
    sigpic
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

i am literally open to any company i have emailed conway MN trust with my details and they sent quite a snooty email back thats my only reasoning behind putting this on here :/
      H. Jackson Brown Jr. -- Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Comment

Chances are very good. I've got a degree in music (extremely relevant or what...) and I got a cadetship with Maersk. Also got a offer from SSTG and interviews with a couple of others which I turned down as I already had a place, so definitely not a barrier. It seems like half my intake for FD Deck at Warsash have degrees already.

Might not want to say so and so was a bit snooty, especially as your username gives your identity away so easily. There are quite a few training managers who read the forum and may (rightly or not) assume you have the wrong attitude. Any excuse to cut down the piles of application forms etc

Comment

Replied to your other thread but yeah if you are looking for advice you've come to the right place! Have a look on the careers at sea website for an idea on the different companies available and what they all do etc.

Comment

Its good to have a degree, if its relevant to what you want to do you may be able to take the "fast track" dunno if any companies do it any more though, having a degree is great, it shows you have dedication and will be able to do the academic side as this is where most people give up (except maybe their first sea phase)! Don't let it hold you back and good luck Welcome to the forum!

Comment

I have a degree, a masters, a PGCE and I've just started a deck cadetship. Put aside any concerns you may have about your previous experience and just focus on what you want and why - I'm a career changer (obviously) and that was actually a strong point when I did my selection.

As has already been said, make sure you do your research regarding income during your cadetship. You won't be in the same position as a 17 year old coming straight from education.

Good luck!
              'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Comment

Hi Emily, I don't think that's going to be a problem. I also have a degree as well as a masters and I've just this week been offered a cadetship with CMT. Some companies/recruiting officers may have different opinions but rest assured that graduates can and do get offered full sponsorships. My biggest worries were 1) that the recruiter would see my qualifications as tell-tale signs of someone who is too academically focused and unlikely to fit in at sea, 2) the fact that I'm making a career change could be seen as evidence of an inability to make a professional commitment or 3) that having a degree would affect my eligibility for funding. All of which turned out to be groundless so if any of that sounds familiar then you need not worry. Good luck

Comment

Hi Emily,

I recently got an offer from Holland America and I have already done a degree in History at Southampton. As many people have pointed out, it doesn't really matter. In many respects, in my interview with Viking Recruitment, they made it seem like it was a good thing! It has prepared you for time away from home, matured you in many of life's lesson and proves that you have an ability to learn! All pretty obvious I know, but it made me feel more confident!

As CD pointed out, just be sure to look into finances.

Anyway, all the best with future applications. If you are looking to start Jan 2014, I think there are only a select few companies now who are still interviewing/accepting candidates. Best of luck with everything!

Comment

Been rejected from Chiltern maritime ltd already only applied 2 days ago. no reasoning why just says I've been unsuccessful loosing hope

Comment

Send them an email or ring up asking why. Can only help. You could also give reading the CV writing thread a go and see if you can boost your CV

Comment

Emily!

Don't lose hope! I went through a patch like that with my applications. Straight out of University, no career on the horizon, part time jobs wearing me down for little or no satisfaction. When I started applying to companies, 90% of them didn't even get back to me and upon enquiry just said if I hadn't heard anything back in 4 weeks to just assume they have rejected me. Yep, it was a tough and bitter time.

Having said that, I now look back with only one offer, thinking that if I had stopped at any point and 'given up' I wouldn't have this offer. It was my resilience that pushed me through, and that is the advice I would pass on to you. KEEP GOING! Even if you stop applying and take a breather for a week, look at your CV for 15 minutes every day. Make sure you look at it objectively, continuously asking yourself whether the stuff you have put down is really relevant. I changed my CV about 6 times in two weeks with that in mind... but it paid off.

I also took the decision to expand my experience by taking more RYA courses. Now, I have had mixed feedback from others with regards to this. The typical argument against it being: it's for smaller boats and not vessels over 50m. However, the navigation theory I learnt, experience on the Solent etc really helped me bulk out my CV and also got me involved in an active maritime community. Obviously, this is completely personal and I'm not saying you need to do this at all, but it really helped me and I just thought every little bit of info may help you.

I also know Viking Recruitment are still doing interviews and when I had mine about 2-3 weeks ago, they were still really looking for candidates for Holland America. It may not be what you are looking for, but worth a try I guess?

Anyway, this may have been utterly useless and a waste of your time to read, but I hope you find something in there.

All the best with your applications. Keep moving forward! If you want any more information just PM me!

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

As others have said I would not worry. I have graduted from university and I have been offered a place with a cruise ship company to start this January. Perseverance and knowing what you want is the key. There are sponsors out there willing to meet you half way even if you don't match all the other requirements.

Good luck

Comment

viking is one of the ones i didnt apply to because of my a levels :/ i dont think id get in i dont have a levels i did a non traditional vocational course which didnt get me very far

"5 GCSEs, preferably grade B or above, including Maths, English and Physics (or Combined Science)
                            120 UCAS points from at least two A-Levels, one of which must be Maths or Physics" i dont have maths or physics a levels this is why i havent applied

Comment

If I were you, I would give it a go anyway. As SeaGazer pointed out, some sponsors will meet you half way... You'll never know unless you try!

Best of luck though.

Comment

Working...
                              X